Hornady ammunition test, 10mm Auto.

Cool stuff.

I hope to chrono two 10mm loads from the past soon also. One is from a box of Impact-3D, original "re-man" from back in the day, 180 grain JHP. The other came from a generic looking white box of what appears to be factory Winchester 10mm, 180gr JHP, but was (for whatever reason?!) re-packaged in a plain white box that I bought at a gun show quite a while back.

I can't guarantee the Winchester ammo is factory loaded, but it extremely clean and very well done, so if it was some manner of boutique or handloaded ammo, it was either done with factory new brass or some extremely fine setup. Very deep hollow cavity in the bullet. Brass has factory red primer seal on it, simply MUST have been newly manufactured brass.

What's funny (well, to me!) is that each box, I paid $15 for. The plain box "Winchester" at a gun show in 2004, and the re-man 3D (likely a bit older) came from a former gun store, now Bait & Tackle shop just a couple months ago. It was "NOS" they've had gathering dust for more than 20 years in this little joint.

Typically, I just don't buy factory centerfire ammo, but this is nostalgia here.

Great test.
I have a 29 SF.
The Hornady 155 gr. averages 1,278 fps from the short barrel and is very controllable; it is my carry load for the Glock 29.

Wow, the Gold Dot expansion is very impressive. Too bad the penetration is so shallow in the bare gel.

I think I'd go with the Hornady 180gr if I had to pick.

Nice test.

Back