Hornady ammunition test, 10mm Auto.

Good test & writeup.

Kind of surprised at the 200gr's lack of expansion relative to the other two rounds. At nearly 1100fps, there should be plenty of "juice" to get it to open up and Hornady certainly didn't need to worry about compromising penetration since they're already getting 2 feet!

Only thing I can figure is that it's specifically oriented towards the hunting crowd.

Kind of surprised at the 200gr's lack of expansion relative to the other two rounds. At nearly 1100fps, there should be plenty of "juice" to get it to open up and Hornady certainly didn't need to worry about compromising penetration since they're already getting 2 feet!

Have to agree it seems like a waste of good energy. The whole purpose of a hallow point is to expand fully. Not like the Hornady I am familiar with anyway.:confused:

Even if it had 24" penetration I'd have no complaints as long as it had full expansion. With full expansion it would have served it's first purpose and it seemed to come up a little short on that.

How does the basic 10mm round compare to a hot .45 +p load?

Thanks for the write up and the time you spent to do that sir.

I have a few other ballistic tests on tap, I am waiting on rounds for the gel. The 10mm Auto still outperforms the .45 Auto even the +P but not by much. Test results coming.
Before this test I carried the 200gr Hornady JHP and truthfully I switched over to the 155gr before I left the range that day. I believe as many of you suggested that must be a hunting round, man did it go deep.
I have also added the 180gr Federal Hydro Shok and the Georgia Arms 180 and 155gr +P to the test.
So far though, preliminary water tests show the 155gr Georgia Arms +P to be a devastating round but I have to do more testing to confirm this.

It would be interesting top see side by side comparisons with some of the older rounds such as Remington's Golden Sabre and Winchester's Silvertip.

I bought a box of Federal Hydra Shoks and am looking for older style rounds and plan to update the test when I can.

Thank you all very much for the kind words.

Thank you.

For a number of years, one of the "standards" in 9MM was the Federal 9BPLE, 115 +P+.,

I think it would be quite interesting to see how well it compares to some of today's ":super-duper":D rounds/

Very nice test, that 200gr looks like a awesome hunter. Been using the corbon 180gr SP might be changing after this.

It would be interesting top see side by side comparisons with some of the older rounds such as Remington's Golden Sabre and Winchester's Silvertip.
While the Silvertip in 10mm is still produced and offered, I can't say that I've ever heard of Remington offering any Golden Sabre loading in 10mm.

Or did they, and I missed it?

I'm not aware of a Remington loaded Golden Saber 10mm ever being offered but that doesn't mean it never happened--I could have missed it.

Remington did offer (for a short time) a fairly hot 180gr 10mm JHP loading--R10MM4. I have a few boxes of it left, but will have to switch over the the Winchester STHP or one of the Hornady loadings for SD ammo when it's gone.

I don't believe Remington is making 10mm ammunition at all these days.

Remington still offers a weak, watered down 200gr FMJ in a nickel plated case in 10mm. Or, they have within the past year anyway.

This R10MM4 -- was the slug just a "typical for the era" copper jacketed JHP?

I'm not trying to make an argument, I've just always been fascinated with the history of 10mm ammunition. FWIW, the Silvertip is a "decent" round, but know going in that you have a very old-tech bullet and the velocity is certainly not top-drawer for 10mm. From my Glock 29 (2.78" barrel) they chrono at 1,106 FPS average.

Another blimp on the radar: as far as I know, and unless someone can offer contrary information-- if you find a nickel plated Winchester 10mm brass, it most likely came from Black Talon 10mm ammo. I don't believe they sold it any other way, but I'm unsure if they sold it in component form.

This R10MM4 -- was the slug just a "typical for the era" copper jacketed JHP?
As nearly as I can tell it was nothing special in terms of bullet design.

The original brassfetcher site used to have results posted from a test that he did with that loading (ammunition I provided, actually), but when his site was redone, that information was mostly not carried over.

Here's a window into the 2008 version of the brassfetcher website using the wayback machine archived snapshot.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080202135958/http://www.brassfetcher.com/10mmAuto180grRemJHP.html

The ammunition was probably purchased 12-15 years before the test was conducted in 2007.

Back