Hornady Ammo

fwiw, I shoot nothing but Hornady 44 cal, 45 cal and 50 cal round ball out of my black powder rifles and revolvers. Good stuff !

David :)

The critical duty and defense loadings have the best flash suppressant powder I have used. That is why I plunk down the cash for them. I run .45 230 gr from a 4" barrel. Works for me in both flavors. I do not test barrier penetration on my pistol ammo.

The critical duty and defense loadings have the best flash suppressant powder I have used. That is why I plunk down the cash for them. I run .45 230 gr from a 4" barrel.

.45 ACP 230gr Critical Defense/Critical Duty? That's interesting as it appears neither brand is offered in 230gr.

The 230 Grain +P box looks just like the Defense/Duty line. I bought this and also assumed It was defense/duty. Really it was labeled "Custom"

Duty/Defense both have polymer inserts in the hollow point. The Duty jacket may be thicker and or the core is harder to penetrate barriers better.

They both also have nickle plated cases.

Not really the same.

Hornady is great ammo--For CCW I changed over from Federal EFMJ 124 (no longer made) to Hornady's Critical Duty 9mm 135gr (I really like this bullet design/gr split down the middle 124gr-147gr).

I've used Critical Defense in my SD guns since it was first offered. It's in my EDC PM9 after shooting two boxes without issue. Also in my nightstand 1911 and in the NAA Pug and Ruger LCR .22mag I carry in the neighborhood while walking my dog. I have never had one fail to feed or fire, they offer decent recoil and, for me at least, excellent accuracy. That said, as long as you make sure it will function in your gun of choice, I'm guessing most brand name JHPs will offer the same qualities. You have to try it and make sure.

Back