Hopkin & Allen Help!!

wick73

I have a 1886 Hopkins & Allen .32 short. When the trigger is pulled it functions, but needs a little help to fully return forward. I'm not familiar with pieces this old. But I believe I am missing an internal part. Possible a cast off cam spring or rebound. I have not been able to track down a schematic on this pistol. Numrich does not shown the schematic of the 1886 I have? Can anyone offer any help. Even a picture of one so I could manufacture the part my self? Help a brother out.:D:

I have many of these guns, & a couple books ( I'd have to dig up ) my local gun smith buddy refuses to work on these guns, as the parts were all iron ( not steel ), they are small, & hard to work on... if the gun functions, lube it well, if it doesn't function, spray it down good with gun scrubber, & re-lube it... if it still doesn't work, most people will just leave them in that condition... the guns are not worth much, & you can easily put more into fixing one problem, than they are worth, only to find the next problem shows up, after little or no firing of the gun...

I'd suspect one of the springs is either missing ( broken ) or worn out... if you are determined to work on it, bug me a little, & I'll see if I can round up one of my books & scan the page you'd need... if you still plan to work on it, & or the gun has sentimental value, you could probably buy a 2nd gun off of Gun Broker for a reasonable price to keep as a parts gun

this is most of my 32 collection... do you see one similar ???

attachment.php

( top 4 & bottom gun are 22's... the others are all 32's )

It looks like the fourth one down on the right. But they all look about the same I will post a picture later this evening when I get home from the junk yard. I have already done alot of work and have to get it total 100% functioning or i'll never get over it. Help!:)

Last edited:
Hopkin & Aleen .32 s&w short trigger full return problem

Here she is the trigger does not fully return? I have to push upward on the trigger to get a full return? I have inspected the internals and see no missing or defective spring. I really want it fully functional it has been in my family for longer than anyone can remember. But I don't have a schematic to reference

http://thefiringline.com/forums/att...ttachment.php?attachmentid=89752&d=1369878242

Attachments

• DSC04427.JPG
    DSC04427.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC04426.JPG
    DSC04426.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 65
Mag Wheel Man you got your ears on.

Well there's the pics. oyu said " bug me a little, & I'll see if I can round up one of my books & scan the page you'd need... if you still plan to work on it",
I got the the pics. up finally.

Last edited:
The buggered up trigger and trigger guard pins tell me someone has already been in there messing around. That is common with old guns and not a good sign. Whether the gun can be fixed may depend on what that someone (or several someones) already did to it.

Jim

Thank you sir.

The pins were center punch to expand them so they would stay in place. This was done a long time ago, before it was handed down to me. I wish I could replace them. I'm sure they will punch out. I have only worked on firearms from the 1930"s to present. If I could find new replacement pins that would be great, any ideal where to get such items? thanks again for you time and efforts to help me out. Sincerely, Jason :D

looked a bit for my H&A book last night ( I have 2 ) but only found the safety police book... it'll require more digging...

BTW... I'm not positive, without looking, but I don't think those are original H&A grip panels...

BTW#2... don't know if you know or not, but the blued guns are more scarce than the nickel guns, & so worth a bit more...

BTW#3... pins shouldn't be a huge problem... I'd think you could find some drill rod in the right diameter & make new pins

Yes, the "checkerboard" was a Hopkins & Allen trademark. One source says those grips were used on guns made for Merwin & Hulbert, who were H&A agents.

Pins are easily made from drill rod or even nails if there is no great strain on them. If working on those guns, it is a good idea to buy cup tip punches from Brownells to keep from battering up the pins. While the pins are single diameter (not tapered), they were usually driven in right to left, and should be removed left to right.

Sometimes the holes are so badly worn that oversize pins are needed, and that almost always means enlarging the both the holes in the frame and the holes in any other part(s) the pin goes through.

Jim

Grips

The grips are original to the gun and it was blued originally and has been re-blued. Some one told me it's a ladies pistol due to the small frame and grip size. What's your opinions? She looks good some pitting, but I like it that way. Looks old school like it should. You guys real cool and thanks for helping me out. :)

Almost all guns of that general type have small grips. They were intended as pocket revolvers, and usually were not carried in holsters. In those days, there were few laws against carrying concealed weapons, so it was common for a man to drop a revolver into his coat pocket or a woman to carry a gun in her "reticule". (Some "ladies" carried guns in their garters, I have heard, though I have no personal knowledge.)

Jim

sorry... I still have the post it note where I empty my pockets at home... & I've been hugely busy... if it's raining when I get home today ( which it looks like it will be ) I 'll spend a little time trying to find my H&A non safety police book...

Total understand

That's cool I have had a crazy last week and today I have a to leave for Indiana on a two day business trip so I'll check again on thursday you can email them to me if you want Jason at scampman73@yahoo.com

WICK... went digging last night ( low & behold, the book was in the study, on the book shelf, where it was supposed to be :D ) ( wish I started looking there :o

anyway... not a very good image in my book... my safety police book had an exploded view... for your model, sorry, but the best I could do was patent drawings... e-mailing now...

There should be a leaf type spring, or maybe V shaped one, that puts upward pressure on the front of the trigger.
Remove the trigger guard to access, probably.
Maybe it's missing.
One could be made from a springy flat piece, like a feeler gauge.

Back