Homemades.

Building an AR15 is making something out of premade parts. That's not making a homemade. Check my 2nd post.

A gentleman named Frank De Haas wrote some books about the old single shot rifles. Then he wrote one about building them. At Brownell's gunsmith supply site is (I think) a book "The Home Machinist...something"

You will find your own way. My first rifles were blackpowder muzzle loaders. Fun to build and shoot. Building the lock from a Siler kit was an interesting project. The "Track of the Wolf" catalogue is a USA source. An old but functional shotgun hammer lock can be used.
Its great experience.Fitting wood to steel,shaping,finishing,etc.

Modifying mil-surp rifles to sporting rifles has fallen out of favor,but it can still be an education.It does not make economic sense,but I am glad I built the rifles.
One of them was a 1927 Polish 98 pattern rifle made in Warsawa. No,I did not butcher an original.An old man offered me the receiver only for $25.

How easy is it to find a cheap SKS? You might dump the gas system and make that a straight pull. (Or a pump!) But shoot it some,first.Kind of a fun rifle.I had the carbine.It was $79 new in a box,and ammo was $69 a thousand..a while back.

I suggest its less about "the perfect rifle" and more about getting your hands dirty. An education.Skills. Your third or fourth build.They get better.The gun is not the product.You are the product.Skills,workmanship,experience,confidence.

A man name John Bivens wrote a good book on building IIRC,The Pennsylvania Long Rifle. A flintlock is interesting. A bit of lead,some black powder,flint,and you can shoot. Quite accurately.A good thing about a muzzle loader is,that you can get it done. Drill press work if you build a lock kit.A plumber's torch will let you do the mystery of heat treating the frizzen for spark and the sear parts to last.The breech needs threading for a breech plug,but often that's done already when you buy a barrel.Many nice rifles have been built in a back woods cabin with hand tools.One of the Foxfire books has Herschel House building a rifle that way.Great books. Teach you how to build a still and make moonshine,too.

Or find an old rifle,maybe a .22,that needs a little love.Make it fit you.Put on good sights.Restore finish.Shoot!

And as you no doubt have heard a thousand times,"Have fun,be safe!"

I dream a shooting tool,for a purpose.Then I build it.

Last edited:
SKS? I'm better off getting an AK47 at that rate, way cheaper, same ammo, and doesn't have the ugly glossy finish old russian guns had... hey actually that's not a bad idea at all! (just i hope i won't get hate for using commies guns) Where to get 7,62x39 5-rounders tho... @HiBC although you might have not intended it thanks a lot for the hint! I'm gonna look for a 'kalash'.

Pretty much all the info in this thread concerning legality of homemade firearms in the US is incorrect. I'm not a lawyer, so I won't go into the laws for fear one will show up and edit my post or give me an infraction, but I recommend the info here is discounted and more reliable resources obtained.

There are a couple specialty forums for home manufacture of firearms.
http://www.weaponeer.net/

Just google gunsmith forum for more.

johnwilliamson: I went to your recommended site and browsed a bit...saw nothing regarding your concerns.
I think you could be far more clear and specific without trouble.
Example : First"I'm not a lawyer,etc,but I have the following concerns.The way I read the ITAR letter,it seems...."
Or,whatever is on your mind.I'm open to learning,but I don't know where to start with your advice.
FWIW,I do not have an FFL,or a business. I do not take on gunsmith work.
I make my own things.None are unlawful for me to own.

She lives in Poland. US laws aren't relevant to her.
Did you read the original post?
Is this illegal/restricted in America, or it's just some sort of taboo?
Anyways, OP is not the only one who is going to read this thread. I am quite confident there is some bad legal information being posted. I feel I have a minimum responsibility as a community member to suggest people not trust the above claims and perform further research from reliable sources.

johnwilliamson: I went to your recommended site and browsed a bit...saw nothing regarding your concerns.
The forum posted has more technical ideas and information than legal. I do not know of a source of info specific to Polands laws, but physics is the same in Poland as far as I know. :) I have not looked at any of the home gunsmith forums for a few years, but at one point I was on a few.

JohnWilliamson,
Please understand,I'm not challenging or disrespecting you.
I want to learn if you have something to offer.

If I take some 17-4 and make a 50BMG receiver,or if I build a Hepburn from a kit of castings,or take a raw 1911 casting and build a handgun,just one,for myself,(No,I have not,yet)
Please just give me the text of the law or some source I can verify.

I truly want to remain squeaky clean compliant with the law(USA)
And I would appreciate your help.

If you are looking for resources for homebuilt firearms, I recommend the website weaponsguild.com.

There you will find plans, instructions and details for a number of scratch made firearms from break-open shotguns to sheet metal semi-auto pistols and even some really nice, finely machined examples. They also have a lot of knowledge on home rebuilding of demilitarized parts kits. I am not sure if this is something that is attainable or feasible to do in your country.

'In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.'

'In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.

*cringes*

EDIT: Thanks for the resources website :3

Back