Homemade .50 caliber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
need info

hey im in the beginning of making the same rifle from bill holmes book could jcadwell or mxwelch or anyone else who has made this rifle give me some pointers and pictures on building it because some of his pictures are kind of vague and some of the parts don't seem to work very well

I would also like to build this 50cal rifle. Could any of you guys comment on your refinements? I am an experienced machinist and a toolmaker. I did order the book of Amazon, should have it soon.;)

Man I would by the book and a list of his improvements then have a go at building that. but alas I don't own any of the tools :(

Well, I have a pretty well stocked machine shop at home including a nice Monarch 10ee speed lathe, Cnc Bridgeport Series 2 boss converted to mach 3 operating system mill and a Cincinnati no 3 horizontal mill. I just never built a gun before. I own a few more machines + welders.:cool:

50 BMG Rifle Build

I just bought a barrel and am getting ready to get started. After looking at 4 different designs that people built, John's 50 cal rifle design, Maadi Griffin, Gunmetal Designs Big 50 and Holmes rifle project, each one seems to be missing something or not quite what I want. Has anybody else built one that would be willing to share their experience (or if you have any links or leads)?

Be advised that if you go with a budget-minded action design, whether due to cost or tooling, that extraction of the spent case will likely require a hammer, since primary extraction will not be present.

A friend of mine built a 50bmg as his first project (Holmes action), but did a whole lot of research on better sites for gun building than this one. You actually have to learn about what you are doing this time, and cannot simply follow someone's instructions. Because you can't afford to be 'close' with a cartridge this powerful, and mistakes are too easily made following procedures. Knowing why each and every feature is shaped and fits together the way it does is paramount. Knowing the limits of the parts, also.

Just posting here since it seems very green builders often happen by this thread. Weaponeer, Gunco, and many other websites focused on home building of firearms, and their legalities, are plentiful and can answer any question the new builder might have.

TCB

Another Zombie thread, started in 2007, brought back in 2009, again in 2010, and now 2015.

We really need to drive a stake in this one...:D

Seriously, read the old threads for background, then START A NEW ONE, for current discussion and info. Link to the old thread if you want, but start a new thread. The folks and the things from 8 YEARS ago might not be around today.

Does anyone else get the "old thread" warning or is it just me????

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back