home invasion

The main thing to remember if this does happen late at night is to keep your head. First if they say they are Police then call the police headquarters and ask why there are officers at your front door at this ungodly hour. If they are from the gas company during the day same thing call the gas company, but do not open that door. Bring your dogs in, get your gun and position you and your family in a safe area and hope like hell the real police do show up, if not then you do what you have to do to survive. Cellular phones are so handy in the home just for this type of situation.

------------------
Society is safer when the criminal does not know who is armed

This is going to stir the hell out of some of you, but ......

Home Invasions are a relatively new phenomenon here .... and almost exclusively Asian against Asian.

It appears that some of our newest Asian immigrants do not trust banks. Hence, they keep either cash or, even better, gold at home.

The result is obvious.

B

Ed, i'm with you all the way on that one! ain't nobody got any business breaking down my door, for nothing!!! any act of agression will be meet with an equal or more intense act of agression...

SameShot, thanks for setting me straight on that. i thought that may be the way it was (bloods = red bandana) but wasn't entirely sure...

------------------
what me worry?

Just saw a preview for the 10pm news in Memphis, TN.
Story is: Man comes home finds his front door kicked in, his house ransacked and a note left by the police stating they made a mistake.

It will be interesting to get all the details.

Apparently all the mess was created by the police, who were executing a search warrant based on an anonomous tip, and un fortunately got the wrong house. The guy was out of town and when he came back he thought he had been burgalarized when he saw his front door kicked in. But then he went inside and all his stuff was still there, plus empty cola cans in the floor that the police drank during their search, and the note from the police.

Bad enough that they got the wrong house, but I can't believe they just left the house with the door kicked in and didn't make any effort to secure his house. The guy was just lucky the neighbors didn't help themselves to his stuff.

Fubsy & all,

Here's the scoop:

This was not a "home invasion."

The people who were shot were drug dealers.
The guy who shot them used to work for them. He came back to rob them.

They let him in the house and then, at one point while the couple was in the bathroom, he went in, shot the husband, shot the wife (who died) twice, then turned to shoot the husband again. At this point, after 4 shots, the rusty .22 fell apart, and he ran out of the house.

This was drug dealer killing drug dealer. Not some viscous home invasion of innocent people, like the news is making it out to be. The wife handled most of the money laundering for the group.

Here's the kicker: Some local politicians and a few federal employees live on the same street. They were "demanding action", and that is why the police and media reaction has been so huge. Even though they were never in any extra dnager (unless they deal drugs or launder money). If not for the politics, this would just be another case of "one less bad guy."

rob,
tks for the update, it was certainly getting some play here for a few days......I wish they'd start killing each other with wiffle bats or something and leave the durn guns alone...fubsy.

Too much training, light sleeper, 45 ACP on the floor, 38 Special above my head. I propably will not have time to dial 911, kick my door in and meet Mr Smith & Mr Wesson, or Mr Sam Colt does not matter to me. Since police have no business at my home to begin with, I will call them when the shooting is over.

Jeff here -
Regarding home invasions - Philadelphia region Asian American residents have indeed suffered more than their share of domestic terrorism. The assailants are invariably Asian themselves, youths to young adults.

A co-worker of mine who lives in the Cheltenham section told me that an Asian American family had been similarly violated by intruders within her neighborhood (incident probably happened within the past year).

The druggie on druggie variety of home invasion is quite popular. These days, druggies often just engage in arson rather than smashing into a residence, not particularly caring if children and other noncombatants burn. We had a tragic incident like that a few short weeks ago. Perhaps not having the recourse of attornies and consumer protection agencies in the illegal narcotics business encourages such rude behavior?

Having a druggie in the household endangers other family members if his/ her enemies (rival dealers, burned buyers, etc) come calling.

I have read, perhaps even in these forums, that home invading is a popular past time with the criminal element in Canada and Europe (including England). Is this confirmable?

The planned home invasion to capture control of a bank....there was such an incident a few years ago that shook up Philadelphia and attracted the much media attention. I don't think anyone was physically hurt and the crims were arrested.

Here is a similarly motivated incident, from the online version of the Philadelphia Inquirer (July 2 1999) -

Gunmen take bank staffer hostage
The pair broke into her home, where she and her family were held. She then was forced to drive to the Andorra business.

By Stephanie A. Stanley
INQUIRER SUBURBAN STAFF

In a brazen, well-planned heist, two masked gunmen broke into the suburban home of a bank manager early yesterday, took her and her family hostage for hours, and later forced her to drive one gunman to the bank, which he looted before fleeing with her car and the bank surveillance tape, Lower Merion police and FBI officials said.
The second gunman stayed at the woman's Belmont Hills home and continued to hold her husband and two children hostage for more than an hour. During that time, her father arrived and was also taken hostage, police said.
The gunman at the home, who was communicating with his partner on a walkie-talkie, fled moments after the robbery, leaving the family unharmed but shaken, FBI spokeswoman Adrienne Menn said.
"This shows the marks of some planning," Menn said. "They got a substantial sum from the bank." She would not say how much.
Both men remained at large late yesterday.
The bank manager, Rita Esposito, called Philadelphia police at 8:29 a.m. from Roxborough Manayunk Federal Savings Bank at 8345 Ridge Ave., in the Andorra section, where she was found handcuffed on the floor but unharmed, police said. The bank and vault doors were open. Her car, a 1994 white Ford Crown Victoria, was recovered about two miles away on the 600 block of Roxborough Avenue about 10 a.m., police said.
Calling breaking into a home and abducting a bank employee a "highly unusual" tactic, Menn said the FBI was looking for any connections the crime may have to a still-unsolved bank robbery in January that involved the abduction of a bank staffer in Springfield Township, Montgomery County.
In that robbery, two gunmen wearing wigs and fake beards broke into a Sovereign Bank employee's Wyndmoor home, taking her husband and newborn baby hostage, while one forced her to drive him to the nearby bank before it opened. As in yesterday's robbery, no one was harmed, the men were communicating by walkie-talkies, and the man at the bank fled with the employee's car.
Police said they had no indication that Esposito knew the gunmen in yesterday's robbery.
"We believe that they cased the bank," said Lower Merion Police Capt. Michael McGrath. "They knew the hours and what the people's schedules were."
Last night, police and the FBI continued to search for the men, who were wearing dark clothing, ski masks and surgical gloves and carrying small silver pistols.
Yesterday's nightmarish event began about 3:30 a.m. when Esposito and her husband, Salvatore, awoke to the lights turning on in their bedroom and saw the two masked gunmen standing above them, said Lower Merion Police Sgt. Mark Keenan.
The men, who police believe may have quietly broken in through a back door, told the couple that they were only interested in the woman because she worked at the bank, Keenan said. They said they would not harm the family if everyone cooperated, and they did not steal anything from the home.
The men then woke the children, Natalie, 13, and Salvatore Jr., 5, and gathered the family in the parents' bedroom, where they were all held at gunpoint for about 3 hours, police said. Salvatore Sr., who is an employee of Lower Merion Township, was "secured with restraints," Keenan said. He would not elaborate.
About 7 a.m., one gunman ordered Rita Esposito to drive him to the bank, where he told her to unlock the bank and vault and fill a bag with money, Lower Merion police said.
About 7:15 a.m., Rita Esposito's father, who baby-sits the children in his nearby home every weekday, arrived at the house on Rockland Avenue, police said. He was met by the remaining gunman and taken to the second-floor bedroom with the others.
A few minutes after 8 a.m., the gunman in the bank fled in Esposito's car, leaving her handcuffed on the floor and taking the tape from the bank's surveillance camera with him.
"We have no pictures," Menn said.
The Espositos' home sits atop a hill in a rowhouse neighborhood where numerous members of her tight-knit family live. Neighbors, many of whom are second- and third-generation residents of the neighborhood, described the area as a quiet place undisturbed by serious crime until yesterday.
"These are hardworking people -- very honorable people," said Ralph Sposato, a cousin. "It's shame they had to go through this."
Inquirer staff writer Herbert Lowe contributed to this report.

[This message has been edited by Jffal (edited July 04, 1999).]

Another decision I made very long ago, shortly after the release of Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood", a movie which was so totally realistic in every regard, including hiring actors for their physical resemblance to the actual, confessed, convicted, and executed murderers that it was incredibly frightening;

If I wake up in the middle of the night and find someone with a gun already trained on me, I will go for my gun. And somebody will die. If it's me, so be it, but I will NOT be butchered like a pig after being tied up, I'll go down fighting for myself and my family.

Larry P.

Back