Home Invasion With Machete on Video

I think it shows very well how fast an incident can develop, but I suspect this is for academic purposes only.
The second link provided in the OP indicates that this was a real incident.

http://www.localnews8.com/news/thomas-receives-sentence-in-attempted-murder-trial/30737472

The article refers to the video.

Cvengros had a camera rolling to document the commotion after seeing glass flying from the upstairs apartment onto the cars parked below. He said once he heard unusually concerning noises coming from the apartment upstairs, he started documenting the commotion using his digital camera, not realizing that camera would soon serve as a witness to what was about to take place in his apartment.

The video was played during Thursday's sentencing, and in it, Thomas kicks in the door, and both Gearhart and Cvengros yell at Thomas to leave, warning him he needs to get out. After Thomas was shot, Cvengros tells Thomas he already called the police, and Thomas confirmed he was trying to kill Cvengros.​

Another video which links to the first and plays part of the video. It also includes an interview with the country prosecutor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UXe9seMabc

I believe there's sufficient evidence to establish the authenticity of the video.

I'd be suing the apartment owners to install i.e. replace the doors with suitable steel replacement doors. I'd also be looking at the walls and the remaining construction to ensure that there is some solidity in those as well. I'd ask nicely once, but if they didn't replace them, I'd either sue them, or I'd move. I'd also request the manager replace my spent ammo. If I moved, I'd sue the apartment manager for the cost of moving. The doors depicted are probably only suitable for use as pantry doors.

The obligation of the landlord is to meet national and local building codes not whatever you "feel" is necessary.

If the apartment opens in a stairwell then the door would require a 90 minute fire rating.
If the door opens in a corridor then it would only require a 45 minute fire rating.

Go back an watch the video. I can see clearly that the door only has two hinges even. Code has required solid core doors for a long time. The old hollow core doors had a lattice of wood inside them and would take some abuse the new ones like in the video....some are made of cardboard with a wood grain film. What ever state you live in building code and the Landlord Tennant Act would not allow that door.

I'd ask nicely once, but if they didn't replace them, I'd either sue them, or I'd move.
In many places and under the right circumstances you can put the rent in escrow. Get the other tenants on board and they will put up a suitable door quick.

The obligation of the landlord is to meet national and local building codes not whatever you "feel" is necessary.
True, however those doors are interior doors. I find it hard to believe they are to code for any rental property.

Should fall under this, just can't find the right code/law:
THE LANDLORD’S DUTY
TO KEEP THE
PROPERTY SAFE AND HEALTHY

Landlords must maintain the premises to protect a tenant’s
safety and health.
In that regard, landlords must comply
with city and county ordinances and state laws regarding
housing conditions.

IE (interior) doors that fail to provide reasonably sufficient safety barrier from fire or intrusion.

I can't tell if the gun in the safe comment is real or tongue in cheek :confused:

Upon hearing anything suspicious I would have opened the safe and armed myself. There was plenty of time to do that. In fact, I could have had my quick access safe opened, be armed with a pistol, called the police and then readied my AR from another safe in the time elapsed between the indication of danger and the threat appearing.

IMHO, situational awareness and stress response are far more important than how the weapon is stored. Someone said 8-9 seconds, I say several minutes of prep time.

My question and perhaps it should be asked in the legal forum...should the person have defended his neighbors when he first stepped out and found the perp threatening others with deadly force?

A sobering video indeed! Even a steel door wouldn't have held without reinforcement, the locks would just break out of the wall. That's why my back door has a 3/16 steel backstrap about 4 foot long to reinforce the door frame.

Gotta say I prefer the standard old heavy can of corn, those newfangled polymer cans are so bloody ugly!

Good video. But this didn't happen all that fast.

When you watch the video and read the article. You see that the couple turned on the video camera once they heard and saw signs of a disturbance upstairs. They prepared themselves for a violent encounter. As in most cases of "home invasions" the victims knew the assailant. They knew he was a mentally disturbed individual with a potential for violence. They lived in the same house as he did. They called him by name as he kicked the door in.

The door is not an exterior door but an interior door. It is not meant for apartment front doors but is accepted if you rent a room in a home. Which is what it looks like they did.

Anyways, good thing the fella was armed and that they had planned to turn on a camera if anything got violent with the man. Clearly they suspected that it might and at the early signs of him getting violent they were prepared to act. Good heads up action based on a correct assessment of his mental state.

tipoc

Back