Home Invasion With Machete on Video

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bsAMSQ13bY
News story on sentencing: http://www.localnews8.com/news/thomas-receives-sentence-in-attempted-murder-trial/30737472

Summary: A man hears a disturbance in his apartment hallway. He retrieves his handgun and a video camera. As the camera rolls, he opens the door to discover a neighbor threatening people with a machete. He yells he has contacted the police and closes, locks, and chains the door. The man then kicks in the door and is shot as the camera records.

I thought this might be useful for Tactics and Training because it shows a couple of points discussed here frequently:

1) The whole thing happens very fast. From opening the door to shots fired is less than 40 seconds.
2) Why you don't want a cheap front door - the man in question tears through the door like it was made of tissue paper.

I hated living in an apartment. When I was a teenager we almost had an invasion if my mom hadn't thrown herself at the flimsy door when someone the cops were hunting for tried to bust in.

We rent a house now and have a little more leeway with fortifying the entries. I miss owning a house but alas, can't get a loan despite being a vet.

Wow... That's a very powerful piece of video. If you stop it just as he enters the door, the guy's intent is so clear as he cocks his arm ready to slash. The first shot had to happen right in that moment... and I wouldn't have stopped at one shot either. What a blessing that the video captured exactly what was needed and the soundtrack after the shots reveals so much about the total situation too.

Thanks for that link... Very instructive and fascinating!

So, the attacker has mental issues to a degree, and will get 5 to 15 years, with basically a restraining order lasting 10 years, despite the lawyer's contention that he suffers from basically a mental condition that makes him unsafe to live with society.. But in 5 to 15, the attacker will be released back to society! great ! Did the lawyer have any evidence to back up the assertion ? I don't know. If it's true, the perp should never be released back into society.

I'd be suing the apartment owners to install i.e. replace the doors with suitable steel replacement doors. I'd also be looking at the walls and the remaining construction to ensure that there is some solidity in those as well. I'd ask nicely once, but if they didn't replace them, I'd either sue them, or I'd move. I'd also request the manager replace my spent ammo. If I moved, I'd sue the apartment manager for the cost of moving. The doors depicted are probably only suitable for use as pantry doors.

I disagree with having a gun. Schools are teaching you to defend yourself with a can of corn. Obviously, throwing a can of corn would save the day.

:rolleyes:

This video made me sweat! So intense!

The attacker said "You tried to kill me!" after being shot, then the good home owner says "You tried to kill ME!" then the machete man said "yeah I was"

:eek:

Well I'm just glad no innocents were hurt or killed.

At least if you're going to use a can choose the largest caliber you can throw comfortably.

FullyLoadedSoup1.jpg

1-DAB
Pork and beans!!!
Um, no. The box of truth has shown that a can of pork will penetrate 2 layers of drywall and a can of pork and beans will go through 4, and a gallon jug of water....
Bad choice, mate!
lol

Seriously, if one ever needed to have visual proof that "when seconds count" adage, this would be it.

I haven't heard of schools teaching the use of canned food for primary self-defense in potentially lethal circumstances.

Has "political correctness" really reached this level of absurdity???

As a last ditch, out-of-options tactic absolutely! Along with the toaster and frying pan. As a primary self-defense method.......................I can't even wrap my mind around the concept.

The thought of having to protect myself from the assailant in the video is terrifying...... with a handgun I'm competent with and confident of. Doing it with canned food is unthinkable to me.

Somewhere Jeff Cooper is weeping.

What puzzles me is the hollow core door. If this was an apartment with a hall way and the door was on the hallway, then I do not know any jurisdiction in the USA where a hollow core door could be used. The jurisdictions I know would require a rated solid door. I think it shows very well how fast an incident can develop, but I suspect this is for academic purposes only.

C'mon guys, Mandarin oranges make more sense! High velocity, you can load many more cans in your arms, heck even tuna works better than a big, bulky can of corn! More shots = more hits! :D

Back