Home Invasion! Are you prepared? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Layered security. One benefit of layered security is it give people time to prepare. nosy yard fence, yappy dog, storm door, etc. All good security systems have layers. I live in a decent part of town so my security is low, but I could be beefed up pretty quick.

If I ever felt like I had to wear a gun around the house I would move.

If you need to use your gun, your home securirty "systerm" has failed.

Eiminating sliding glass doors, and replacing them with solid core doors in steel frames and the use of deadbolts. Solid core inside bedroom doors with deadbolts if you still have children at home. High security windows.

A good, professionally installed alarm system, with batterey back up, costs no more than a good rifle and scope.

A yappy little dog, inside the house.

Flooodlights outside connected to your alarm system. Battery powered automatic lights inside.

Getting to know your neighbors, and watching out for one another. Getting to know the police who patrol your neighorhood.

Do not display high cost items. If you have a Corvette, or Cadillac, keep it in the garage not the driveway.

I keep several fully loaded firearms well hidden around my home. But I do believe that my outer security will prevent the need to use them.

Write down license numbers of suspicious vehicles that do not "belong" in the neigfhborhood, along with descriptions of occupants.

Most police departments have a crime prevention unit that will be happy to send an officer to do a "threat risk" assessment, and talk to the neighborhood about setting up a "neighborhood watch" or "citizens on patrol" program.

Your taxes are paying for these programs, you may as well take advantage of therm.

Since my primary HD arms are longarms, carrying one around with me wherever I go isn't realistic.

One thing that always amazes me is that people answer the door to unexpected visitors. I can't imagine why anyone would do such a thing. Not only are you easing the path for that potential home invader, you're giving him close access to you. No thanks. Anyone coming to my casa who doesn't call first isn't getting in. Anyone who tries to get in anyway, well...woe unto them.

So much for the safe neighborhood: http://open.salon.com/blog/laura_wilkerson/2011/09/22/the_murder_of_valerie_percy_kenilworth_1966

"At about a quarter to five in the morning Loraine Percy was partially awakened by the sound of breaking glass. Groggy, she assumes that someone broke a drinking glass but was jolted fully awake some minutes later by the sounds of moaning. Loraine left Charles sleeping as she got out of bed and walked down the hall. She first stopped at Sharon’s bedroom but the noise wasn’t coming from that room. She next checked on Valerie, opening the door to find a strange man bending over Valerie’s bed. Loraine screamed as the intruder shined his flashlight in her eyes, temporarily blinding her as he escaped down the back stairs and through the French doors leading from the music room.
Loraine had turned and ran from the room just ahead of the intruder and at 5:05 she tripped the burglar alarm which consisted of a siren mounted to the roof of the house. Now awakened, Charles Percy rushed to Valerie’s room, Loraine trailing behind him.

Mleaky, I don't wear a seatbelt or motorcycle helmet. I do keep a gun within reach 99% of the time, just not on my person in the house.
To each his own.

"Safe" neighborhoods generally means at least relatively well off if not well-to-do homeowners, thus a nice target for thieves and other ne'er do wells. The only thing that keeps such neighborhoods safe is the ignorance of the nearby criminal class - but that will change in time.

Check out alarm sellout dot com. They start at $280 and then grow from there. They have key chain remotes so you can arm/disarm. Buy a good quality floor bolted 60 minute safe for all valuables, income tax, medical, etc. Place a climbing rappel biner in the garage door rail to prevent opening. Install inside only dead bolts so outside keys can't gain access to them. Install the decals on all entries and windows and larger signage in front/back. Buy a couple game cameras and hide them outside (front/back). Buy a video system and install the control unit in the safe to prevent the theft of your evidence. Have a family plan. Call the police an let them deal with the trash. Insurance upgrade of stolen item is better than your blood on the floor. Like stated above, trim bushed and trees so they do not provide a hiding place (provide lighting). You shouldn't get caught off guard w/ an effective and working alarm system. Set up a preventative maintenance schedule to test your system every 6 months. Keep a shotty under the bed w/ #4 as well as a 9mm or 40 cal backup for the 14-17 rounds per clip. Have the high sensitive amplified shooters ear pro so you can hear 10 times better at night.

As I am reading all of these, and thinking about my usual system(as posted, not carrying at home, but there is a handgun within an arms reach at all times) there is something dawning on me. With my better half being 11 weeks pregnant, my plan is going to change drastically when that lil bugger comes out, in that case there isn't going to be an arms reach for the handguns, the one not locked up at the moment is going to be on my belt, in which case I am joining the carrying at home group.

Perhaps this will help clear things up:
"I just don't understand carrying a wallet at home. I don't live at the store. I won't need to whip out my driver's license and debit card. Wallets are bulky, and I can't sit right with one in my pocket. It's uncomfortable."

That's why I don't - no keys or cell phone either. Tough to do wearing gym shorts and flip flops - no worries - sitting here right now at 10:30 with the front door wide open as the cool breeze feels good.

If YOU want to spend every waking moment of your life dreaming up what-if scenarios and pointing out those 1 in 100,000,000 odd things that could go wrong, just build a bunker on your mountain top and fortify it. Just like those who will never go anywhere where they can't carry a gun - it really is so sad that you would deny yourself and your family the joys of travel to other places, the ability to do other adventures, etc.
Living a life in a constant state of fear is not living.

Plant thorny bushes? Sure. have a dog? You bet. Good dead bolts - why not? Motion lights, alarm, etc. - all good ideas - but having your gun in the shower because you far a horde of drug-amped ne'er-do-wells breaking in to kill you? Sorry, that is over the top in the tin foil department

^ Just because if you'd carry 24/7 you feel like you're living in fear and paranoid, doesn't mean that's how everyone who does carry 24/7 feels. That's just you.

I do it second nature. Calm as the breeze. ;) So do many others..Sorry you may feel like you don't have all bases covered. Not nice to bash people who have them covered. No one's stopping you from being prepared.

You know, really how hard is it to have a handgun on you all day?
It's more effort than I care to spend at home. (Which is the only metric that matters when we're talking about me.)

People carry their cell phones everywhere they go, even in the bathroom! People carry a wallet or wear a watch.
I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back