Home Defense Shotgun: Sling?

Should a home defense shotgun have a sling?

• Yes

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 34 82.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For home defense? No.

The Prepper in me: Mine does have sling points and I do have a spare sling in my bug out bag in case I have to leave home.

commando

I don't play commando. I occasionally do misread things and neglected the "home defense only" aspect of the thread after I'd read a couple of responses. I do tend to answer threads based upon my background and interests.

A sling on the LE/patrol/hunt shotgun is an asset. In a purely HD circumstance, not a requirement and likely a liability. A detachable two point carry strap, used as appropriate, would solve all issues.

I don't own a helicopter either.

The way you are describing it you don't need a sling... until you do.

So why might you need a sling?

If your plan is to defend your home with four rounds of anything you might want to rethink that plan. So supposing you have a pistol on your belt what are you going to do with the shotgun when you transition to it?

Suppose you stumble across bad guy in your kitchen and he wets his pants at the shotgun and gives up. How do you keep your gun trained on him while talking to the 911 operator?

Lots of other scenarios where a sling might be handy, just pointing to the more obvious ones.

I am not a big fan of slings but they do have their uses. If you plan on defending your home with the gun then you need to walk through it a few times in varying light conditions with the gun to see what works and what does not work.

This isn't about being a commando this is simple common sense.

Suppose you stumble across bad guy in your kitchen and he wets his pants at the shotgun and gives up. How do you keep your gun trained on him while talking to the 911 operator?

You make him get face down, cross his ankles and interlock his fingers behind his back while you use your phone on speaker mode. Slings are just bad ju-ju inside a home where Mr Murphy rules the day

Slings are just bad ju-ju inside a home where Mr Murphy rules the day

And yet... Just about every police department in the country uses them and has used them forever. Strange they don't seem to have this gremlin problem with slings and being used indoors.

And the average person does not have the training; and the police officers have back up and are not emotionally tied to kids or anything else in the house nor caught bu surprise. Two totally different scenarios.

Ok first why would police not get caught by surprise?

Second why can't people get training?

If the threat of getting caught on something is so high having two police with slings on their guns just means that two guys get caught.

A sling properly designed and employed is at extremely low risk of getting caught on something.

The thread is about HD, not police; a sling in a home is a poor choice to make - the poll results seem to agree

Polls also say Clinton is the best choice for president.

I'll agree that if someone won't do much training, practice, research and find what works best for them then there is a one size fits all answer... what is simplest.

Back