Home Defense Shotgun: Sling?

Should a home defense shotgun have a sling?

• Yes

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 34 82.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Model12Win

Hey guys, what's going on? Well I am the proud new owner of a Remington 870 Police with 4-shot magazine tube and wood stock. I plan to make this my dedicated home defense shotgun.

I would like your thoughts/opinions:

Does a dedicated home defense shotgun need a sling? What are the pros/cons for home defense use? I here that "a sling is like a holster for a handgun, you have to have one for a shotgun/rifle" and things like that but have also heard others suggest it can snag on obstacles and provide a means of disarmament of yourself by an attacker.

What are your thoughts guys? Should I through a sling on there, or leave it be?

Thanks!

If you're trying to carry a Punt Gun for home defense, sure you probably need it. If you're trying to support the Slings Industries of America, Inc, sure.
Otherwise, If you need a sling to carry the gun, you must either live in a 20 acre mansion, and should let your manservant / Director of Security handle it, or you may not be able to handle the weight or recoil of a 12 gauge.

(No.)

in such a small area (compared to outdoors) I see no utility in a sling (other than a grab-point for a burglar you've confronted)

Last edited:
I have several Remington 870 shotguns including a home defense model. I would never put a sling on a home defense shotgun because I don't want to risk snagging the sling on anything (such as furniture) if I have the gun in my hands for a home defense incident. I do have a sling on one 870, i.e., my deer shotgun with a rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount with Leupold 1-4 variable shotgun scope.

My 870P wears an M1 carbine sling for matches or classes. I forgot to take it off at one point when I was taking it from under the bed, into the next room for cleaning - the sling got caught on the door knob. This will never, ever happen again.

My 2 cents:
A sling can be something for the bad guy to grab in an effort to disarm you.
Slings are better for carrying and to steady a rifle, but less useful for defending your home.

"...something for the bad guy to grab..." Tactical error of letting the BG get too close. snicker.
Like g.willikers says, slings on shoguns are for carrying the thing. Not much need for that for your purpose. Sling it if you ever envision hunting with it, but otherwise why bother?
Have a Sterling SMG sling for my 870. Only use when hunting. No swivel with the tube extension on.

"should" is too definitive.

for a house shotgun a sling is unnecessary but not a detractor.

in the field much will depend on the use of the shotgun on whether a sling is in the way or a God send.

sling

Firstly, there are different types of slings.....simple carry straps, and the now popular tactical slings. In the limited role of home defense, you may not need a sling of any type. But in the broader role of patrol, or even field use, I believe a sling on any long gun is a plus.

For example, what if you have to use your hands for something other than holding the shotgun: negotiating an obstacle, first aid, handcuffing a suspect, etc, etc. What do you do with the long gun......not all circumstances favor propping it in a corner or placing it on some type of flat surface...unsecure and possibly unattended.

A detachable sling addresses some of the snagging problems. I detach the sling on my turkey gun on most setups...I don't want it swinging away beneath the gun as a gobbler approaches....but it sure is handy when toting stuff, as in say blind, stool, maybe even a bird too!

The popular tactical slings actually seem to attach the gun to the body....not only does a subject have to take it from your hands, they have to get it out of your webbing too.....I'm not so sure a tac sling is not actually an asset in retention!

I read somewhere that some tactical fellow got his tac sling hung in the skid of a lifting off 'copter..., so some type of release on the harness types might be advisable too.

Quick detachable sling swivels mounted on the gun, OK.

Sling mounted on the gun, inside the house? (home defense) DUMB!!!

Especially if its a pump gun.

And I never even considered the thought of a bad guy grabbing the sling! :eek:

Unlike a rifle, where a sling can be used as an aid to a steady position (when done right) a sling on a shotgun is just a carry strap.

If its on the gun when the gun is in your hands, it hangs, swings, and gets caught on virtually everything you move past.

If you "gather" the sling (hold it tight to the gun) it doesn't snag, but can interfere with operating the gun, particularly a pump.

Put QD swivels on the gun, leave the sling OFF, until you are outside, in the field, and have an actual use or need for it. (this also applies if you use a rifle/carbine for home defense, as well)

Your shotgun, your call. ??

Home Defense Shotgun: Sling?
The way you phrased it, I'd say no. Is there a particular reason why you ask? I can think of many reason why "I" would not and none of why I should. ... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

A 2 pt or single point front hang might be nice for dropping the gun quick to manipulate kids, doors, etc.

Hurts odd angle firing cause you have to turn to turn the gun.

A 2 pt or single point front hang might be nice for dropping the gun quick to manipulate kids, doors, etc.

If the situation has all of those possibilities, then you'd be better off with a handgun

Back