Home Defense in 20ga.: SxS vs Pump?

I like a Mossberg 500, with proper training and the correct for task loads either a Pump or Double barrel will do the job if the shooter holds up their end of the deal.

This would work!

alt_doubleDefense.jpg

I have a Rossi Coach Gun, 12 gauge, handles nicely-just remember to cock the hammers.
I think we have gotten so obsessed with power and magnum loads that we forget that at close range-say 12 feet-bird and skeet shot can be pretty effective and minimizes penetration.

At the young and tender ages of 64 & 63 respectively, the wife & I have two dedicated 20ga shotguns for home defense. Her's is a Remington® SPR220 (baikal® IZH-43) SxS. She keeps it loaded with Remington® 2¾" #3 Buckshot (#SP 20 3BK). On my side is a Mossberg® Mdl 500c loaded w/Federal® Power-Shok® 3" Mag #2 Buckshot (#F207 2B). We fear no man or beast while so armed.

I dunno... My closet allows for very rapid response to concerns...;) No where closer and as safe exists for me....

Closet is 3 feet away and guns are right inside the door...

Brent

3 feet to the closet is pretty darn good and if my closet was that close I wouldn't be rigging a rack beneath my bed. My closet is 20 feet from my side of the bed and I wouldn't want to have to navigate my way to it under emergency conditions in the dark.

concern about penetration leads me to the 20ga. for defense.

A 20 ga shoots the same shot at the same speed as a 12 ga, just fewer of them. A #4 buckshot will penetrate just as far regardless if it was fired from a 12 or a 20.

Back