Holsters for Walkers and Dragoons

There are three methods of learning: audio (class or video), visual (class demonstration or book) or kinesthetic (hands on). We all use each to a certain extent with some being more predominant in some areas that others. Some folks just won't learn by book.

Frankly, I wouldn't take a class (I've sewn hunting bags) for holster making, but I don't knock people who have.

I've made bags and knife sheaths but never tried a holster. I'm waiting on patterns and going to try my hand at making one for my Dragoon.

Howdy

Try El Paso Saddlery. They can make a holster for just about any gun. They made holsters for my S&W Russian and New Model #3. My Merwin Hulbert fits those holsters too. This is their Slim Jim holster.

russianandholster_zps15b0faaf.jpg

Suggest you look at either the 1849 Californian or 1870 Slim Jim holster. El Paso says these holsters are available for all single action and percussion pistols.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-16-authentic.aspx

Be prepared, they are not cheap. But they are very well made. These holsters are made to order, they do not keep them in stock, so you will have a bit of a wait while it is being made. Give them a call, do not order on line. That way you can specify exactly what pistol you have, including the barrel length. Your holster will be made to order.

I shoot CAS with a guy who shoots a pair of Dragoons. Not quite as big as the Walker, but almost. I tried them for one stage once. Dunno what holsters he used, but I can tell you a pair of Dragoons strapped on your hips are REALLY heavy. Much heavier than a pair of Single Action Armies.

That's a nice one but I dunno about having to deal with India based tech support if there's a problem. :D:D:D

Driftwood,
that is really nice work on that holster.

The point I was trying to make with the OJW post was that it was the belt strapped on the outside of the coat that made all it work. This point isn't about OJW of course and I didn't want it to be.

Here's what I meant, anyone who has carried heavy "iron" on their hips knows that the belt is always trying to come off. Especially those of us who are not in their 20's anymore :p It's just what gravity tries to do, pull everything down to it.

I just feel like I've noticed a novel thing here.
By putting the belt OVER the coat in the OJW movie, they were able to carry those big pistols by making the coat carry some of the load and the friction of the material also helps in that also. So instead of the weight being all on the belt and it being carried all by the hips, the load is divided up and shared by the shoulders.

Of course, we all know they didn't have belt loops too. So that even makes it more difficult to keep a heavy pile of pistols from trying to get to your feet.

So, putting a belt on the outside of your coat COULD possibly make it possible to carry a Walker or any other hogleg, a little easier.

I know a lot about this movie, of course, but I wasn't posting about the movie nor the guns of the movie, etc. that's for another day and post. Actually has been talked about a number of times over the years.

One thing about it, if you WERE walking around with a Walker on your hip, not many people would mess with you, that's for sure.

Look closely at Dells home page and you will see their declaration "Made in the USA". Have we made India a colony? A colorful web site for a wide range of 19th century leather products.

Did anybody happen to notice that in the movie "True Grit" (John Wayne version) that the infamous Colt's Dragoon was never shown holstered. It was carried around in a sack! How's that for Hollywood historical fiction! With emphasis on fiction!

Did anybody happen to notice that in the movie "True Grit" (John Wayne version) that the infamous Colt's Dragoon was never shown holstered. It was carried around in a sack! How's that for Hollywood historical fiction! With emphasis on fiction!

And the pistol used in the movie was actually a Walker and not a Dragoon.

Lots has been written about that "dragoon" Walker in the bag holster. haha.

In the newest movie, Rooster kept talking about his Navy 6's, but I'm certain they were Dragoons he was carrying on his saddle. Lots has been written about that also.

I had this thought today, is it possible that one of the two Dragoons Rooster used in that 4 on 1 dogfall was used as Mattie Ross's Dragoon? The production company just used it twice to save a few dollars.

Back