Holsters for Walkers and Dragoons

Keep in mind that these were horseman's pistols, they were not carried on the belt. The Colt's revolving belt pistols of naval and army calibers were just that- belt guns. The Colt's Dragoons were horse pistols, carried in a pommel holsters.

I found a nice used Walker holster on eBay a while back. The Walker is a heavy piece hanging from your belt.

2aak3k6.jpg

Bishop, is that a Colt 2nd or 3rd gen? I'm digging that shiny cylinder. Cylinders on the real Colt Walkers were "in the white" as it were, they were not blued, as Colt feared the hot bluing process would reduce the strength of the cylinder. The replica cylinders are all incorrectly blued.

Actually, it is a Uberti imported by Cimerron in the late '90s with the fake "COTL" markings on it and very tiny Italian marks under the frame that require a magnifying glass to read. It was finished in charcoal blue and I polished the cylinder with Hoppes gun polish to make it look more authentic.

I know that movies "ain't real" and all that. But, in my favorite movie The Outlaw Josey Wales, he carries 2 Walkers in holsters because he puts them on outside of his coat. Essentially carrying the weight of that much pistol by his entire body. They are also fastened high on his waist also.
But, since it's Hollywood, no telling is he actually had to walk much with that much around his waist. He also carries an 1860 in his belt, along with a shoulder rig. Very well armed, but probably needing to be a weightlifter:)

As has been very well said, a Walker is not a belt Colt.

10030638_2.jpg

Carrying 10 kg of extra steel on the body isn't going to break the back of someone young and relatively fit, not even on an extended march.

They were carried that way in the 19th Century, though I did find one photo online a while back, taken in California circa 1850, that showed a California cowboy wearing a holstered Walker on his belt.

Eastwood had a pair of faux Walkers made of lightweight rubber. They were so detailed, cast from the original repro Walkers that they even had the serial numbers duplicated. They were used in various scenes as when he does the road agent reverse in the line shack. They are owned by one of the NRA Gun Gurus today.

Pretty sure that when they fought dismounted (which was a significant part of cavalry tactics of the day) those pistols went with them.

Never did really look into details of it - don't have a Dragoon or Walker yet - but I wouldn't be surprised to find people carrying them in a belt holster, big as they are.

They were normaly carried in saddle holsters. Not sure how they would carry them dismounted, or even if that was done reglarly. I think when dismounted, the rifle or carbine was used.

Actually vmtguy the Walker that was molded for the prop guns in Josey Wales is in a museum......there is a short about it that has been produced by the museum that is part of a series.

Now for Holsters Uncle Mikes size 11 shoulder holster fit the walker and Triple K 310BP5 71832 should be the walker holster if you like leather.

They were normaly carried in saddle holsters. Not sure how they would carry them dismounted, or even if that was done reglarly. I think when dismounted, the rifle or carbine was used.

Yeah, but the rifle or carbine of the time of Walker's introduction was a single shot muzzle loading affair. Remember the fight where the original Colt Patterson made it's fame? The Indians would provoke the defenders to shoot, then counting on the long reload, charge in. Only, against people armed with revolvers this turned out not to be such a great idea. In this instance the rangers fought dismounted.

I'm no expert, but if someone told me to leave the pair of revolvers behind and rely on a single shot muzzle loader instead, I'd question their sanity and make a few observations about their lineage in the same breath.

BTW, a classmate of mine (who now teaches at a JC in MT) made a cardboard Walker holster which was colored brown and held together by brown duct tape. He borrowed a stetson along with a waistbelt from which slung it beneath his shoulder. He then stuffed his Uberti Walker kit into it and wore it to the firearms repair class. This was in mockery of a classmate, dubbed Stetson, who said that a strong sided shoulder holster with the butt high up by the armpit was the most natural draw there was (twist draw from the high). Our professor saw it and said, "If you're not embarrassed for yourself, I am."

"...took the holster making class at TSJC..." Somebody paid for a holster making class? Geezuz. Bought a couple books in Tandy's myself. One of 'em tells you how to make a holster pattern for any firearm. You basically trace around the revolver at 1/2" off the steel, join the top, cut, dye, whack the stitch holes and sew. That's simplified, but it isn't really difficult.
4.5 pounds and 15.5" long is a bunch to haul around though.
"...a significant part of cavalry tactics of the day..." Mounted Infantry is what Dragoons were. Dragoons weren't Cavalry(Can't say "So they ain't." Know too many RCD's to be able to get away with it. snicker.). Never intended to fight from a horse.

Back