Holsters, does color matter?

I never open carry and I never carry IWB.

I carry in a black Kramer Scabbard holster on a black belt under a camping shirt. It's been my experience that even with lighter colored pants the black seems to just fade away should my handgun become accidentally exposed.

I have a Simply Rugged pancake that looks great with the Altamont grips on my 686+. The holster is a color they call ox blood.

I prefer black or natural tanned color- leather of course. I won't really consider all the other colors because I get confused over the whole not wearing white after Labor Day and all those other fashion rules. About the only fashion rule I can remember is- Felt hat after 1st freeze, and Straw hat after the first mesquite leaves appear.

I've always preferred brown / natural color leather .
I do have 3 black holster for formal wear and a dark ox blood 45 acp holster that matches a belt and shoes for Sunday Go-to-Meeting .
But for everyday use ... I like brown natural leather ... belt , holster and boots .

Gary

Seems Hawaiian floral print is the new flavor of the day for the cool kids.

But to answer your question, I mostly buy brown or black for concealed. In reality, the difference is probably mute.

I prefer brown. Black leather, in my opinion, screams Mall cop / wannabe be, Tacti-cool crowd, trying to pretend they are something they are not, LEO or Military operatives, etc. I always chuckle at these guys at the gun stores, gun shows, range etc. opening carrying in black tactical gear, trying to show off.

Brown matches my belts and is more traditional. To each their own.

Last edited:
If I'm buying a new holster where color is a choice it will generally always be brown. I do happen to wear brown belts unless I'm wearing a suit (rarely!) when I wear black. Either way I have brown and black gun belts so I can match the holster color regardless.

With used holsters color is not usually a factor. If it suits my purpose and the price is right I buy it.

I like to have a black one and a brown one depending on the color of my belt.
I also have different rings that I wear depending on the color of my watch.
I think I must be the only straight man that is concerned that my accessories match.

I wear almost exclusively black and dark blue shirts with blue or black jeans or khakis. I can't carry at work, but if I could then I would go for a matte black holster. Non-reflective black is going to break up lines and blend into a black shirt or black jeans, so it should be even harder to print as a firearm. Black hardware against a black belt would almost disappear too.

I have black and dark earth holsters, I typically wear khaki colored chino pants during the summer up here in the high desert.

v8c0QLNFgfFER6Vt947Fh4R0fU3E7l886voVXYQXB4KNjJHUVHZwEbc-uvbE9Nejh4yHKEnibjfgS6bN5BNw_tEZjdpZDKgUh13HC4HNimOL6BjWJqKrkdX8DMJxe5i9QlgbRdIAOHbON8pe3LsWHIxvlR-KukXd7ub_H0fAwVgM37N3XwCR3PLE7zWA7odpgKYD3bG61eU9ShVwCfzXTTFb3godq6AC7MYgB9LHlA2e6Va422mWryq9BRr_OHnhujigRaAXtETGPd3_n_yPP_cn2xuGSn_9_qxi1yJQ3Tr5Jq3otUe4QUszT-BC2GXkR45zyQYD1vhsIis0YchOF7XGcRLXIaCAqXUU0unzPlzIxgx88jrsNCQylivG_BbJx8XjwmPRn9LkjRKUvk6mWCsOoiJ_TITW7FrQ52vIrMN11JvQIMhijdkPyXJZ8BNjIguNWgR4zipMiRAS8nkshROfAVxjPsO_q-PtcntBu-OV5I7CY2OPQmd0cyRV6hdx8m6SBD6HZoHdn2q1P4Pp9sc8-FBGOUFyvNEFYVo_Mhs_GFGm-ody0xcbjG8TZXuukdvXQmVgAicIOUzE3ExgJaxCf-on7sWtcycPAhZaQ_2x_FeDPh1qlypAfTJGL9WOotPOZgWDwNKFnXchEhKtiQyph5O530nsRwbNaUXMlfhz1QM7J50hQwgBMTYSYKP1-0J_g-ZoQzDBK_a_oEJI2X8=w1126-h845-no

Most of mine are brown. And I do have a drawer full. I carry IWB almost exclusively, so color is not that important to me.

No one ever sees it so color doesn’t really matter…but I like natural!

8f277235982f999a61bc560010cb0615.jpg

90f8310d1f9e06854a368e3834c4da83.jpg

$cott

A dull-colored exterior on the holster doesn't attract the eye if a cover garment rides up or is blown back by an errant gust.

On a dedicated appendix rig, a light-colored interior can be helpful when looking the gun back into the holster and also making it more obvious if any obstructions have found their way in there. Some of the better kydex benders have even done AIWB holsters that are black on the outside and bright green or orange on the inside.

Have multiple black and brown holsters. Try to keep it simple: black belt, black holster and black mag carrier. Never considered it “accessorizing”.

Back