holsters and mag holders

CZ_Todd

Inactive
Hi everyone,

As I progress in my shooting skills, I keep thinking it would be fun to shoot some competitions, maybe USPSA, IDPA, or even bullseye.

I use a CZ 75B 9mm and live in Dayton Ohio. I generally shoot at Spring Valley, if anyone local is on the board.

My question is: what kind of holster and mag holders should I buy?

I want to get them and get used to them before I start calling around to see who offers competitions.

I now have an IWB SHTF holster, which is nice, but reholstering can be tricky sometimes, and I like to do that slowly. My mag carrier is from Cabelas and it's one of those kind with the velcro flaps, so I figure that'll have to be replaced as well, since it also takes a long time to work with.

All ideas are appreciated.

The rules for the various competitions have some restrictions on holsters, belts and pouches.
It's always best to be familiar with them before spending the money on what might not be allowed.
The rules can be downloaded at the websites.
idpa.com
uspsa.org

IDPA only allows you three magazines, one in the gun and two on your belt. A stage has a maximum of 18 shots. USPSA has a 32 shot per stage maximum. You need to decide what division to decide some things. I shoot production which only allows 10 rounds per magazine for which I have four on my belt and one in the gun plus one spare in case one breaks. You need to carry one more magazine with you than is required by the stage in case you have a jam that requires you to strip the magazine out.

Both are a lot of fun. The rules for both are available on their websites. The rules vary by division which is determined by your gun. The holster rules also are a little different between IDPA and USPSA. I have to remove the drop offset from my holster for IDPA.

I use a Comp-Tac holster and mag holder, and they are just great. The adjustable tension is really nice, and they can make a holster for pretty much anything.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone, I'll try to nail down the exact league and rules before I start spending money. Thanks.

It looks like IDPA isn't in my area.

There's a USPSA club fairly close, so it looks like that's the route I'll go. Their requirements:

To shoot at either the Sunday or Monday match, you will need the following:
• Recognized pistol by USPSA - see the USPSA website for more details. check
• Holster which covers the trigger I have one, but it's IWB and tricky.
• 4 magazines check
• Magazine pouches nope
• A good beltcheck
• Eye protectioncheck
• Ear protectioncheck
• Minimum of 72 rounds for a Monday match and usually 120 for Sundays. check
It is always best to double the amount of ammo in case a reshoot is required.

Off topic but where is spring valley? I live in Troy and either shoot at vandalia range or on my in law's farm. Always looking for a good place to shoot though.

Look in a Dillon Blue Press: they offer a dual BladeTech mag pouch cheap.

Numerous choices for holster, but I recommend you contact a maker to discuss your specific model vs their specific holster(s).

For the up-coming USPSA match, contact the 'contact' and discuss the possibility of borrowing sufficient gear to start.

Do not take a "tricky" holster to a USPSA match calling for repeated draws.
There are several good brands of open top Kydex belt holsters that will serve well.
They also make mag carriers. Most shooters use singles so they can space them conveniently on their belt.

As said, see if you can borrow a holster for your first match.

Originally Posted by Eazyeach View Post
Off topic but where is spring valley? I live in Troy and either shoot at vandalia range or on my in law's farm. Always looking for a good place to shoot though.

Are you familiar with Waynesville? It's really close to Waynesville/Caesar's Creek.

It's run by the ODNR and it's open all year round. It's outdoor and has a few different rifle areas as well as a 25 yd and 15 yd pistol area. It's only $25 or so for a yearly permit.

The 15 yd pistol areas get congested sometimes (there's only 4), but there's usually a 25 yd stall open.

I typically go on either Wed or Thurs because there's not as many people.

I hadn't been there for awhile. It's off rte. 42 I believe on
roxanna-Burlington rd. it had always been free when I went.
I'm wanting to check out some of the three gun shoots near Wilmington , oh this summer

Naw, we were running about 1/4 pumps at three gun today. Nobody laughed at them or even my walnut stocked 1100 and Colt HBAR.

comp-tac

I was going to order a comp tac for my CZ 75b and it only shows holsters for the P-01 and SP-01. The CZ web site says the ergonomics are slightly different between these and a normal 75.

Does anyone know if these holsters will work with a normal 75b?

Yeah I wouldn't mind doing the 3 gun thing. Looks fun. Wonder if they'd laugh at me for using a pump shotgun?

I ran a beater Mossberg pump recently. You'll lose, but so what? Unlike you fart around or violate safety rules no one is going to care. Like in golf you're competing against yourself.

Back