Holster messed up my gun finish

This gun has ridden in an El Paso "Tanker" holster for the same amount of time as the one I carry. Its the gun I practice with a couple of times a week, and daily in dry fire. Its normally carried in the leather holster and used in my carry holsters in practice.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Glocks are pretty resistant to wear compared to most other things. Especially when it comes to rust. Not that rust is really an issue here with this leather holster, as it normally doesnt get soaked with sweat. The Glock I carry does, but its in kydex, so its not really in the same atmosphere as one in leather would be.

The only real difference between the Glock in the kydex and the 1911 in the kydex is, the 1911 was removed and replaced a lot more, as it was being wiped down more on a daily basis, and it was used in weekly practice. The Glock I carry now, basically just gets carried, and wiped down/inspected once or twice a week. But the one I do practice with, does get used in the same holster while I do. So if there was going to be wear showing, it would more likely be with that gun.

Neither really show any wear, although, while hard to see in the pics, the overall finish on the practice gun, is more polished and washed out, and shows more wear at the muzzle, like many guns that are used repetitively in leather holsters usually show.

A lot of this is probably differences in experiences, conditions, and holsters.
Must be. Maybe the prevalence of dust and grit in your situation, along with the sweat soaking, caused the leather to attract and retain a lot more abrasive while the dry kydex didn't hold the grit as well. I'm not carrying in an environment with a lot of dust and grit, and I don't frequently get sweaty while I'm carrying.

My outcome was just the reverse, also with a Glock pistol. There's significant wear on the trigger guard where it "clicked" into the holster and the frame forward of the takedown tabs was worn almost completely slick before I switched to leather. Since the switch to leather I haven't really noted any additional wear.

I don't mind "honest" wear on a gun either. That said, in my experience, a gun wears less in a good quality holster than in kydex. A good quality leather holster will wear your gun's finish less than one of those leather generic pouch-type holsters because a better fit to the gun means less rubbing.

If you carry IWB in hot weather, sweat can muck up a leather holster and potentially cause a pistol to rust faster. You solve that by doing a quick wipe-down with an oily rag or patch at the end of the day. The other solution has previously been mentioned, a leather-lined kydex holster like the Silent Thunder. I have one for my Kahr.

Welcome to TFL, Lonewolf concealment! Personally, I like a little honest wear on a gun. That said, my question is this: How long did it take for that kind of wear to happen in the Fobus holster?

A holster is a pouch to carry a handgun in. A Fobus seems just like other plastic holster, it usually costs less so that makes it better than most, It will wear the finish just like other plastic holsters.

Back