Holster I made for my 51 Navy

Thanks RK.

Tink, I was reading the threads about the movie props. I am just wondering if you are aware of some of the inovations since you were a young lad at the Saturday mattinee. For instance, movies have sound now.

BTW, I didn't know you drank until I saw you sober one day.

Last edited:
Lol, Boy are you guy's showing your age now!! :) Wow, I still reme,ber before we had TV we would listen to the Lone Ranger on the radio and you felt like you were right there with him and Tonto.Also remember Amos and Andy, Only the shadow knows, Author Godfree, Grand Old Oprey. Then when TV came out it was Roy Rogers and Dale and Nelly-bell and Pat. The lone Ranger and Tonto, Hopp-a-Long Cassidy, Cissco and Pancho, Tex Ritter, Johnny MC Brown, the Rebel, Have gun will travel(Paliden), Gun Smoke, Wagon Train and Rowdy Yates (Clint Eastwood), Death Valley Days, Annie Oakley and Tad, Sons Of the Pioners, The Ponderosa and many many others. Life was great back then! I chased bad guy's through my back yard all day with my cap guns and cowboy hat.:)
I'm 59 and still have fond memories of Westerns we had on TV back then.
It's funny but I don't remember them showing any blood when someone got shot but you knew he was shot anyway. Now they feel that they need to show the blood spatter and pools of blood all over the ground to get that point accross. What a shame that today's kids can't enjoy a good shoot em up like we did without all the garbage.

Don't forget Gunsmoke! I used to listen to it on the radio, too. Those spurs jingling on the boardwalks .......

SixForSure, I started using alcohol for leather shaping back in the 60s. It works better for me than water and dries in a fraction of the time. The only drawback I can think of is it costs more than water.

Steve

You all forgot the Sat morn. serials The Three Mesquiteers(John wayne was Stoney Brooke) Don't remember who the other two wereBut I think they were later name actors.I got to see the Roy Rogers Museum before it left Apple Valley CA for the woods of MO. at branson. Also the Gene Autry Museum in Griffith Park is fantastic! and the Melody Ranch(what's left of it, that isn't housing developement) has a Cowboy Poetry Festival every spring. I'm going this year.
Lots of Movie hoistory nearby. The Movie Windtalkers I think, was filmed almost in it's intireity just south of Acton. A lot of the chase scenes of a lot od "B" movie Westernswhere the large rocks are slanted like giant pieces of flagstone in called Vasquez Rocks State Park and is just a few miles back torwards the San Fernando Valley in Aqua Dulce our neighbor town.

Thanks Steve499. I am going to give it a try.

Does anybody remember Sgt Preston of the Yukon? ("And His Wonder Dog, King")

SixForSure, Sgt. Preston always got his man with the help of his dog "King".

What was the name of the show that was a comedy of sorts about the Calvery and they had a German sheperd at the fort with them? Was that the dog they called Rin-tin-tin ?

Does "Well King, This case is closed" ring a bell"?
Rin Tin Tin was a seperate Military show.

The comedy was "F Troop". And it is still the funniest show I think I ever have seen.

This is one of the things that I have found in the swamp
that was my basement. It needs your help. It is dry but the
black/dark area is hard like a rock. I would like to fix, soften,
reshape and remove the stain if I can.

Any ideas before I blunder in to it would be greatly appreciated.
Hosl1.jpg

Thanks
Tinker2

Attachments

• Hosl2.jpg
    Hosl2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Hosl3.jpg
    Hosl3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 21
What was the name of the show that was a comedy of sorts about the Calvery and they had a German sheperd at the fort with them? Was that the dog they called Rin-tin-tin ?
Are you thinking of "F Troop" with Larry Storch, Forrest Tucker, and Ken Berry?

Tinker2,
This will discolor the bottom of the case, or you can do it to the whole thing, it will come out much darker but not as dark as the stain. You can soak the end or the whole scabbard in Virgin Olive oil and work it at the stain area when it's soft it'll take some of the stain out but how much I don't know.
I use oliveoil to soften and extend the life of my holsters maybe twice a year. they get darker but they stay sioft.
I'm sure others will have great ideas too.

Yep, "F" troop was the one.It sure was funny stuff.Another one I liked was ZORRO! I ran around the yard with my "stick" sword and cape and left my mark "Z" every where. Remember the fat dumb mexican sgt. ?

Tinker, I agree with OD on this one.You may never get that stain out but you should be able to soften it up again. The only other suggestion I have is to get some good leather dye and redo it with a dark color.

Was it Garcia?

I was told by my mother that as a kid about age three, 1958, I was given a Zorro outfit and went around the neighborhood scratching a Z into front doors with the tip of the plastic sword.

Back