Hollywood Heroes?

Ones no longer with us: Sammy Davis Jr. SAA's, a quick draw fan.

Mel Torme: May he sing forever in Heaven, collected SAA's.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Okay, I am probably gong to show some of my gray hairs (nobody gave them to me, I earned 'em), but here goes:

JIMMY STEWART: No one ever typlified the average American so well on screen but was so un average in real life. If the marquee said "Jimmy Stewart", you knew it would be a good movie. And yes, he was strongly pro-Second Amendment.

AUDIE MURPHY: I have run into a lot of boys lately that do not know who Audie Murphy was. Mine do, and they still get out my copy of "To Hell And Back" and watch it on occasion. A man's man who proved that physical size does not matter when one has a lot of heart. You are missed, "Little Texas".

CLARK GABLE: Mostly before my time but stories abound of his love for fine firearms and automoibles. Flew combat missions with the Eighth during World War II, as did Stewart. A very decent man who could do more with a glance than others could with the whole blasted script. Frankly Rhett, we DO still give a d---.

ROY ROGERS: Personal philosophy of mine: "Don't ever trust a man who don't like Roy Rogers". He wore a white hat in grand style both on and off screen. An avid shooter, hunter and horseman. They say that he was a reserve deputy who filled in for regular officers during Christimas and such. He carried a .45 Government that was given to him by Audie Murphy. Does anybody really think of themselves seriously enough to buck that combination? Besides, Dale was born in my hometown.

JAMES ARNESS: Another World War II vet who went to Hollywood. Ever wonder why he limped? Machine gun bullet took away part of his leg at a little garden spot called Anzio. I will wager that a couple of thousand cops out there on patrol right now first got the idea from watching Matt Dillon in "Gunsmoke". And you know what? They are the kind of officers communities are proud of. And he was a very nice guy in person. I hear that he is still with us, barely.

JOEL MCCRAE and RANDOLPH SCOTT: I put the two together mainly because I run short of time and one movie that they made together was unforgetable; "Ride The High Country". I think that this was Milius' first big picture, right? They both would have you on the edge of your seats with your trusty cap pistol handy without a couple of billion dollars worth of special effects, weird religions, and names no one can pronounce. That was back when you could order guns through the mail and no one ever heard of a "school shooting".

I could go on but the hour grows late with another day on the way. So many pundits wonder what is wrong with our kids these days, I would venture that a lack of good role models in the movies might have something to do with it. I wish that these guys listed above were still around for my boys. I guess things could be worse though, I still have that VCR in the corner and a lot of memories. Oh, and by the way; "They went thataways, pardner".
Take care and God bless to all,
Paladin

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited October 21, 1999).]

Drew Carry - One of the funniest guys on TV - "Who's Line is it Anyway?" Is a show I just cant miss.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Paladin:

That bit about Roy Rogers has to be a lie. Talk about a hugely dangerous situation!!!

In the mid-50's, if I had ever heard that Roy Rogers was actually on patrol carrying a pistol given to him by Audie Murphy, I'da been on the phone in a second, finding out exactly what I was gonna need to do to get arrested. Out the door with the Daisy pump to rob the local grocery or whatever. And I expect I'da had to stand in line behind 100 other ten-year-olds with their best cap pistols and BB guns, wearing their new Christmas cowboy hats and chaps. The jails would'a been positively overflowing with prepubescent "felons", and I'm pretty sure my anti-gun dad woulda been real happy to come pick me up, though discussions with the arresting officer might have taken a while.

What a thought!

Larry,
No sir, it is the honest truth. There was an article done on Roy about ten years ago in the American Rifleman that went into the story in detail. I have it laying around here someplace if I can remember where I squirreled it away. If you were raised in Austin you should have talked your Dad into taking you down to Uvalde where Roy and Dale were grand marshals for the Fourth of July Rodeo. He always made time for young buckaroos back then. Happy Trails!
Take care and God bless,
Paladin

You mentioned some really great guys from Hollywood like James Arness, Jimmy Stewart, and Audie Murphy.Most people dont even know who Audie Murphy was! It makes me so mad that our wonderful Post Office refuses to bring out a Audie Murphy Stamp. What does that say about a country with mickey mouse stamps and refuses to have a Audie Murphy Stamp? I am afraid we have sunk lower than that whale stuff in the bottom of the sea. A great American Hero like Audie Murphy does not deserve to be foregotten.

While reading these great posts I remember an old TV show did an interview with Randy Bachman of Bachman Turner Overdrive (one of my favorite early metal bands). It showed him firing his 1911 .45 on the range and telling how much he enjoyed shooting.
You younger headbangers should try to find some BTO tapes or CD.
Neil Casper

Ivan,
It's worse than you think. The Audie Murphy VA hospital in San Antonio has an absolutely horrible reputation. Little Texas would be ashamed....

I always wondered why Hollywood made movies that showed Audie hanging up his guns forever, while they made movies that showed Gregory Peck always reverting to the use of a gun. Peck is THE original anti gun celebrity, which is so very sad because Peck is an exceptional actor.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited October 27, 1999).]

Back