Hollow points or FMJ for concealed carry .380?

I have a corbon +P hp loading in the tube and a buffalo bore 100gr lead flat point loaded next in the mag in my lcp. Then they alternate through the mag. That way I feel I have the best of both worlds. I train to do a double tap if I even have to use it. From the numbers the buffalo bore load is the strongest .380 load available. Plus has good penetration.

I have a very odd rule of thumb

.380 and down gets FMJ

9MM and up gets defensive hollow points

If I am forced the chose expansion or penetration I take penetration every time. It is drastically easy (IMO) to overvalue expansion in handguns

the chances of over penetration AND hitting an innocent down range are a lot less than missing the bad guy altogether and hitting an innocent down range.

in sub-caliber rounds I still recommend fmj to help ensure adequate penetration.

When the wife carried a .380 she alternated between HP and ball ammo rounds. She was taught to basically empty the mag at her attacker (we had a stalker) and run away-potentially pistol whipping him as she went. The thought was that if no insta kill it might slow him down enough to get away. Later she upgraded to a 15 capacity 9mm but kept the same strategy.

At the time I carried .45 ACP golden sabers with spare mag. I was told be prepared to empty the mag, reload, empty the mag and still be ready to run.

Both of us also had shotguns in our vehicles.

The concern was that someone addicted to Vicodin literally wouldn't feel anything and had to effectively go "beyond dead" to stop.

Don't rely on the type of round or one round or even all the rounds. Have a concept of what to do in case everything fails.

zincwarrior said:
The concern was that someone addicted to Vicodin literally wouldn't feel anything and had to effectively go "beyond dead" to stop.

Reminds me of the movie, "The Hidden," especially the scene where this stripper takes 15-20 rounds and keeps on going... If a dope fiend gets close enough while shrugging off center of mass hits like mosquito bites, then I would try for a head shot to end it.

ATN082268 said:
If a dope fiend gets close enough while shrugging off center of mass hits like mosquito bites, then I would try for a head shot to end it.

If a dope fiend gets close enough while shrugging off center of mass hits like mosquito bites, then I'm going to turn around and run like Hell

Legally, I have seen statements on various web sites claiming that in some jurisdictions cops and prosecutors are more likely to be hard on those who carry or use hollow points, even for totally justified self defense.
You can see lots of things on various web sites that have no relation to reality.

I'd use hollowpoints because they might expand, and if they don't they will still perform much like a FMJ which will never expand.

Worrying over what some prosecutor might say isn't a good idea, since any defense lawyer will simply show everyone uses hollowpoints for self defense, making the prosecutor look silly.

My two cents! I shoot a lot of porcupines where I live, 20 to 30 per year. A lot of them are with my Sig 230 .380. I load my own .380 loads with 95 grain HPs at max velocity. Some of the time I leave them where they lay. Sometimes I look them over. Ninety percent of the kills with my .380 HPs, that I examine, fail to pass through the porcupines. Some take more than one hit.

First time I noticed this I shot a porcupine up in a tree at may be 15 yards. Three hits center mast in the chest before it dropped. Since it was in my dog training area, I removed the porcupine. I had placed it in a rubber tot on its back. When I removed it, there was not a single drop of blood in the tot. Three hits center mast and no exits! WI porcupines weigh on an average 20 to 30 pounds. Certainly made me wonder about the effectiveness of the .380 HPs for self defense.

Added: my .380 loads use Speer Gold Dot bullets.

Last edited:
Older bullet, and liad technology I deed led to an advantage with fmj bullets in the 380. A lot has changed with the enormous popularity of the 380 mousegun. Including improved HP bullet performance. Where denim covered ballistic gel is not a bad guy, it is a recognised standard for performance tests. Many modern 380 hollowpoint rounds do erform with adequate results for SD use.
My personal choice in a Ruger LCP is Speer Gold Dot.

Reminds me of the movie, "The Hidden," especially the scene where this stripper takes 15-20 rounds and keeps on going... If a dope fiend gets close enough while shrugging off center of mass hits like mosquito bites, then I would try for a head shot to end it.

Now we're talking zombies.:D

Me, I would just stick with FMJ bullets and practice a lot.

There is a guy online (youtube) that has done a fairly exhaustive test of nearly all 380 ammo, and came to the conclusion that the best defense ammo is loaded with XTP's... I don't remember the brand, but I know that Fiocchi was one of them.

Many (most) of the hp loads plugged with denim when shooting into the gel, which made them over penetrate like fmj's.

Many hp's did very well in bare gel, but failed when shooting through the 4 layers of denim.

Nearly all fmj's, as expected, over penetrated pretty dramatically.

I carry Fiocchi XTP's in my TCP.

1) Multiple sources have convinced me that the only HP slug that has the potential to function as designed out of a .380 is the 95 grain XTP.

2) Hornady advises that, for the XTP to function as designed, it needs a terminal velocity of 900 fps or greater.

3) Earlier this year, I worked up a load that clocked at about 940 fps @ 15 feet from my P238. (Sorry, I'm not where I can look up my notes. Fairly certain the powder was Unique, but I won't cite a charge from memory.). These slugs were also impressively accurate.

4) As a result, on those occasions when I carry a .380 (which is rare), the first magazine is charged with my XTP handloads, while the others have Win FP-FMJs.

5) It shouldn't need to be said, but no round should be carried that hasn't been tested for and demonstrated functional reliability from the pistol you carry.

6) If you ever have to shoot someone, the issue will be whether the circumstances warranted the use of potentially deadly force against an assailant, not the type of bullet employed.

380 had a bad rep as a SD pistol One reason over penetration like big brother 9mm in FMJ. Now with all the new improved HP's on market the 380 has become a accepted carry pistol. I have 2 older Colt Mustangs and I carry either Corbon DPX or if can't get I will use the Corbon 90 gr HP .

I hear people doesn't met FBI 12 inches. Well 380 doesn't met FBI anything .:rolleyes:
They may need 12 " Because they shoot thru all kinds of things some times . I believe . If I need a pistol will be close and 10 " should do fine .
Last time I drew a pistol was in the 1980's and my little 25 auto 950 Beretta . Sent the BG running like he was on fire. He saw gun and didn't bother to ask what caliber or type of bullets it carried.

By way the 12" min is met by the 25 auto. With Ball ammo has penetrated 14 to 16" in jell .
Maybe FBI should carry 25 auto . Might improve their lousy scores on range . Since 40 is just to much. 9mm won't be much better.

Personally, in my Beretta Pico and Ruger LCP, I just carry ball rounds and two spare magazines. With barrels that are sub 3", I just don't trust a JHP to do anything much different than a ball round would. JMHO.

For a sub-compact .380 auto, I fill it with hardball. In this configuration, I prioritize penetration and, of course, reliability. FMJ in a short barreled .380 pistol offers both.

Perhaps this is over-simplified, but if your life depended upon one .380 shot with an FMJ that may fully penetrate your attacker and an HP that may effectively "stop " at a rib, which would you prefer?
Given equal bullet mass and velocity, why would a bonded-core JHP stop at any rib that a FMJ would penetrate?

A hollow point begin to open as it moves through cloth and bones. I uses Hornady "Critical Duty" because they can go through the gauntlet of layers before they open. "Critical Defense" rounds met only 8 of 12 of the CIA's requirements. "Critical Duty" met all 12 of their requirements.

Given equal bullet mass and velocity, why would a bonded-core JHP stop at any rib that a FMJ would penetrate?
Same reason that a skydiver with an open parachute lands softly on the ground and a skydiver without a parachute makes a significant dent in the earth....

Back