Hollow points or FMJ for concealed carry .380?

cjwils

This may have been discussed before, but I did several searches and did not find any relevant posts. Also, this might be better in some other forum rather than General Discussion, so Moderators can go ahead and move it if you like.

Should I carry jacketed hollow points or full metal jacket ammo in a pocket sized .380 for concealed carry in public? I see legal issues as well as functional issues.

Functionally, I see at least 3 considerations: 1) FMJs may be more reliable in the action of a semi-auto, although my pocket gun, a Colt Mustang .380, has never had any jamming problems with jacketed hollow points. 2) A pocket sized 380 might produce such low velocity that hollow points don't reliably expand. However, I hope that major ammo makers would sell 380 ammo that is proven to expand; otherwise, their hollow point 380 ammo would be a rip off. 3) Assuming that .380 hollow points do reliably expand, do they penetrate deeply enough to really stop a bad guy?

Legally, I have seen statements on various web sites claiming that in some jurisdictions cops and prosecutors are more likely to be hard on those who carry or use hollow points, even for totally justified self defense. I am in the Seattle region, a liberal anti-gun stronghold in an otherwise conservative state. However, I have never heard of prosecutors here making an issue of hollow points.

Finally, this might be both a functional and legal issue: No matter how justified my self defense shooting might be, the use of FMJs is more likely to lead to a ricochet that could injure an innocent party. That is a liability that I really don't need.

I carry FMJ in my .380s simply because I want as much penetration as possible. I suspect you will not get enough velocity from a short barreled .380 handgun to create much expansion from a hollow point. Just my opinion and others may differ.

There are several good choices of HP in 380 that penetrate and expand adequately. I use Hornady Critical Defense in my LCP. A FMJ may over penetrate, even in 380, and will not expand at all. I will take a good HP without question.

From a legal point of view, HPs are the standard for self-defense when lethal force is needed.

Now there are good 380 bullets .Try some premium bullets like Barnes , expansion and penetration !

Hornady Critical Defense .380 ACP 90 gr Ammo Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M6cZGd18

Good video from tnoutdoors9, who does awesome ammo reviews. He tests on a Bersa Thunder 380+, 3.5 in barrel. He doesn't really offer an opinion, but he gives data points.

I am looking at a 380 mouse gun in the future... and i would carry these rounds. Good expansion, good penetration, and while I would probably test a box through my carry gun, modern JHP are super reliable.

I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my LCP...
According to the tests done by Luckygunner, Hornady Critical Defense are about the only rounds that expand reliably while reaching (just) the minimum 12" of penetration.

You might look at Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator or Xtreme Defense ammo, or at the Ruger ARX ammo. These are supposed to create greater wound channels by fluid displacement due to the bullet shape. I'm skeptical of this claim, but all three penetrate quite well and are at least as effective as FMJs. :cool:

The real issue is that FMJ's do not expand. Rapid expansion is necessary with a wee, tiny bullet. Best bullet isn't an HP though. It's an SP. Best of those was the old style Winchester Silvertip that was discontinued long ago. Half jacketed with an Al cap.

in sub service calibers I recommend fmj. everything else youre better served with a hollow point. im not against fmj in .45acp or swc in .44spl though.

Perhaps this is over-simplified, but if your life depended upon one .380 shot with an FMJ that may fully penetrate your attacker and an HP that may effectively "stop " at a rib, which would you prefer?

From a legal point of view, HPs are the standard for self-defense when lethal force is needed.

Is that something new? I personally have yet to see anything, anywhere, that cites any ammo legal to possess, is illegal to use when your life is being threatened. Maybe you could enlighten me?

Perhaps this is over-simplified, but if your life depended upon one .380 shot with an FMJ that may fully penetrate your attacker and an HP that may effectively "stop " at a rib, which would you prefer?

If over penetration means killing an innocent bystander? I'd rather stop at a rib.

Is that something new? I personally have yet to see anything, anywhere, that cites any ammo legal to possess, is illegal to use when your life is being threatened. Maybe you could enlighten me?

Enlightenment is kind of a tricky thing. Hollow point rounds are the standard for stopping lethal threats with a handgun. I don't know of any US law enforcement agency that does not use HP ammo. I don't know of any reputable self-defense training that recommends anything other than a good quality expanding bullet from a service caliber handgun. Are there jurisdictions where the use of HPs (or any other ammo) would be questioned? Probably, but of all the things to worry about in a self-defense shooting, the use of quality HP ammo from a reputable manufacturer would be the least of my worries.

Enlightenment is kind of a tricky thing. Hollow point rounds are the standard for stopping lethal threats with a handgun. I don't know of any US law enforcement agency that does not use HP ammo. I don't know of any reputable self-defense training that recommends anything other than a good quality expanding bullet from a service caliber handgun. Are there jurisdictions where the use of HPs (or any other ammo) would be questioned? Probably, but of all the things to worry about in a self-defense shooting, the use of quality HP ammo from a reputable manufacturer would be the least of my worries.

What's the accepted standard and what's legal/illegal are two different things. In your previous statement you said "From a legal point of view, HPs are the standard for self-defense when lethal force is needed". This tells me you're inferring that only HPs are legal for SD. Folks I know use LWCs or LSWCs in their .38s for SD/HD. Been a standard for years for SD. At one time a standard for LEOs. Now according to you, they're not legal or would cause legal problems if used?

Buck460XVR, my response was to this statement in the original post:
Legally, I have seen statements on various web sites claiming that in some jurisdictions cops and prosecutors are more likely to be hard on those who carry or use hollow points, even for totally justified self defense.

It was not meant to discredit any other ammo, or its legality. The concern was HP ammo. Your conclusion regarding LWCs or LSWCs is not supported by my statement. Those bullets have been used for years to good effect by law enforcement and civilians. Had the OP asked about LCWC ammo that would have been my response.

HP ammo is the current standard for law enforcement and civilians. That doesn't mean WCs or SPs are not a fine and legal choice.

I carry FMJ in my .380s simply because I want as much penetration as possible. I suspect you will not get enough velocity from a short barreled .380 handgun to create much expansion from a hollow point. Just my opinion and others may differ.

My opinion as well,,,

Aarond

HP ammo is the current standard for law enforcement and civilians. That doesn't mean WCs or SPs are not a fine and legal choice.

Thank you for the clarification. I thought you were implying that by using anything but JHPs you were asking for a lawsuit or prosecution. I know of many folks that use 1911s, that still consider ball ammo the most reliable in their guns, thus it's what they have in 'em when they carry them.

Back