Hollow point ammo... And why heavier are more consistent

marine6680

Been thinking on this... It seems to spark a lot of argument online.

First, know that I am writing this on free periods at work... On a phone. Spelling and punctuation may be off, and it may be a little disjointed from stopping and starting. Should be fine overall though.

Two sides... Those who think light and fast are tops, and those who think a little slower but heavy win the day.

Most everyone is in agreement that good penetration is important. Some argue that a large wound cavity is just as or more.

The light and fast crowd will point to the massive damage cavity left in the test medium of fragmenting types, and say that the non-fragmenting rounds can penitrate ten inches usually and sometimes twelve or more, while still having a large cavity. That massive wound cavity is great, and speeds bleeding and helps spread damage to organs even if the shot isn't the best.

The heavy crowd point to those tests and say that "sometimes" is not good enough, when final penitration can vary so greatly from as little as six inches at times. And 10-12 inches is still less than ideal. They say that the heavy round reaches 13-15 inches with every test in ballistics medium, and that the wound cavity created is more than sufficient to increase bleeding over a simple clean hole.

A lot of enphasis is placed on "energy" or "stopping power"... This seems silly to me. It is only one measure that is important when determining a bullets potential.

I doubt this argument will ever be settled...

What I think can be explained is why heavy bullets are more consistent.

When looking at a projectile you have 3 important factors.

Kinetic Energy
Momentum
Inertia

Everyone knows energy... It's touted everywhere.
E=.5(m*v^2)
Velocity squared... A change in velocity makes more impact on energy than a change in mass. It's why people chase velocity... And it is what those that like light and fast, point to as validation.

That's all well and good, but what of the other two measures, momentum and inertia?

In a pistol round, I think they matter more. Why?

Energy of pistol rounds is fairly low, so even a full transfer of it does little work overall.

Momentum is the property of objects in motion.

Inertia is an objects inherent resistance to a change in its current state from external stimulus. Be it sitting still or moving, it wants to stay that way, unless acted upon externally.

Momentum =m*v
You see that here velocity does not have an advantage of being squared.

Inertia is related to the objects mass

Mass is in all three measures but velocity only two.

So let's think about what happens to a projectile as it enters a test medium... Let's assume a non-fragmenting type.

As soon as the projectile first contacts the medium, it begins to loose velocity, mass will more or less stay the same.

Looking at the equation for energy shows that it will be loosing energy fast, as velocity slows. Remember, changes in velocity affect the energy levels more than mass.

Momentum... It looses momentum as velocity decreases, but at a slower rate.

Inertia... It stays the same. The projectile's velocity does not affect it's inertia.

That to me seems to point to the fact that starting with a heavier mass is better.

Long range shooters know this... They can't prevent velocity loss, but performance down range can be conserved longer.

Yes... Different needs and circumstances... But the desire to retain energy/momentum over a given distance is the same.

In defensive use, we want to retain energy/momentum over the desired depth of penetration. A nominal 15 inches according to most experts.

Whether the fast and light crowd are right about energy transfer and wound cavity being more important or equal to overall penitration... Or the the heavy and slower crowd are right... We may argue that forever.

I hope I was able to at least show why heavier rounds perform more consistently with regards to penitration... Which is the only quantifiable performance figure we can really look at. Energy transfer and effects of wound cavities are harder to test and predict results, due to testing being limited to gel and not living entities.

Me I am in between the two sides, with a leaning to heavy. Feeling that accurate shots and proper penetration is the best bet. Though I am open to a lighter round that fragments but still retains a core that can penitrate to proper depths. Moch testing would need be done though to show it performs well.

My experience is that low weight low energy rounds are less consistent, say like a 380 ACP. I like big and fast if using that analogy, I really like the 357 magnum is that big or small? What is your definition of big? Small? Slow? Fast?

That to me seems to point to the fact that starting with a heavier mass is better.

It is. A bullet's motion is governed by Newtons Second and Third Laws of Motion, F=ma and mv = mv. Both equations show that force and momentum are directly related to mass so having more mass means that having the heaviest possible bullet is desirable.

I am a firm believer in heavier for caliber bullets. Some people look at velocity and are impressed, as a former physics student; I am not impressed by velocity by itself.

For example; I saw a box of 9mm ammunition that was marketed as self defense ammo, a 50 grain bullet at 2000 fps. At that high velocity; calculated muzzle energy will be notably higher, but it will shed energy much faster than a heavier projectile, which would lead relentlessly to less penetration. Up close and personal, I'm sure this ammo would be devastating to a t-shirt clad home invader, but IMO there are too many variables in circumstances to put much faith in ammo like this as a general carry ammo.

Last edited:
I pick the profile that works best in my guns and the weight that matches point of aim best with my fixed sights.

Revolvers get 158gr LSWCHP in .38spl, and 125gr JHP in .357mag. Haven't tried anything else in decades...

That is 'good enough' for me and I'm not going to spend the money it takes to test new loads in my guns. YMMV

Revolvers require much less testing than a semi auto.

The only light bullet I have seen that looks promising is the DRTs. It fragments about 2-3 inches in, but retains a central core that penetrates. It's still not perfect though, final penetration is only around ten inches.

Lower recoil in small light autos is a benefit though.

My preferred 9mm load is 124gr HST from Federal.

i dont know, the colt saa in 45 colt was designed to penetrate a horse at 70 yards.

ive seen alot of late 90s dash cam video showoing people shot at 10 feet with 9mm "police only ammo' taking 5 hits before they stop walking towards the shooting officer.

If you're not going to push a HP fast enough to expand, you might as well be using a flat nose FMJ. I shoot 124 grain GoldDots because I know they'll expand and penetrate far enough to cause serious wounds. I've tested 9mm 147 grain GoldDots and they don't offer what I'm looking for(from a pistol).

I tend to be a middle of the road guy. I like the medium weight bullets.

for 9mm I think 124 would be the medium. 115 is the light and 147 is the heavy. For 357 Magnum I like the 158 grain. 110 and 125 are the light end and 180 and 200 are the heavy end.

The same with rifles. I shoot alot of 45-70. For that light bullets are 250-300 Grain and Heavy are 405-500 grain. I like 350 grains but shoot a lot of all 3.

If the shooter does his or her part in carefully selecting ammo, the debate between light vs. heavy is not nearly important as it used to be unless barrier penetration is important; e.g., auto windshields. This is due to better bullet construction. For example, here's a test where a 115 gr. standard pressure Gold Dot passed through four layers of denim and traveled 17.5 inches in test medium and expanded to approximately .52 inches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2s82NCLKQI.

Keep in mind that even the 115 gr. Winchester Silvertip which was criticized in the wake of the Miami Shootout, actually performed decently, striking the BG from the side and came to rest less than an inch from the heart. That bullet technology is 30 years old.

On the other hand, manufacturers also make rounds with medium or heavy bullets that expand well at lower velocities than old hollow point design. Get a Gold Dot 158 gr. . 38 special traveling over 800 fps and you'll get adequate expansion and penetration. For example, here it expanded to .544 and went just over 12 inches into the test medium after going through four layers of denim. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k890Rio2oBY

You have to do your homework, though. You simply can't go out there and buy just anything.

hard projectiles punch holes in less substantial objects... thats about as deep as I get when talking about bullets. My primary consideration is functioning reliability not absolute ballistics.

What should be taken in consideration is the rate of expansion of a hollow point. If expanded too early you fail to get the ideal penetration. If expanded too late you get a punch through. Also a failure to expand as well.

Kinda hard to design an ideal hollow point.

Example... 9mm

Light weight = 115gr and less

heavy = 124gr and up

I shoot and reload what is more acurate for my pistol, and for it is the 124 gr (berry hollow base, plated bullet) to ME , accuracy is the most important, if the first shot doesnt stop my target, I still have 18rds left....

Generally these kinds of discussions get filled with a whole lot of stuff attempting to explain things in terms of physics and science ... while simultaneously demonstrating a grasp of the particulars which would get you and "F" on any physics exam.

Alternately (as in the case of Marshall/Sanow, Taylor, Hatcher, Ashby, etc.) they take an observed result and try to pigeon-hole a pet theory into "proving" it. If the answer is 4, you can make up an infinite number of equations to describe that result ... which explains why that approach is scientifically unsound. That doesn't stop people who desperately want to BELIEVE something.

I'm just going to shut up (this time) and note that a whole lot of nonsense gets cleared up with about 10 minutes of lab time.

Consistent, repeatable results ... controlling for all the known variables. Everything else is religion dressed up in drag.

Last edited:
.40 S&W 180 gr over 165 gr. stopping power over velocity. i prefer that the target drop in as few shots as possible. the heavier will be a bit slower but transfer more energy on impact. incapacitating the subject.

my $.02

I'm just going to shut up (this time) and note that a whole lot of nonsense gets cleared up with about 10 minutes of lab time.

Consistent, repeatable results ... controlling for all the known variables. Everything else is religion dressed up in drag.

Ahem, excuse me professor. But how do we know if our experiments in the lab translate into the real world?

Computer models and mathematical formulas only get you so far. The lab people like to dismiss anything that they cannot quantify in the lab. You are missing half the answer if you do it that way.

On the other hand, manufacturers also make rounds with medium or heavy bullets that expand well at lower velocities than old hollow point design. Get a Gold Dot 158 gr. . 38 special traveling over 800 fps and you'll get adequate expansion and penetration. For example, here it expanded to .544 and went just over 12 inches into the test medium after going through four layers of denim. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k890Rio2oBY

Nice video....158gr at 850fps.....magic...:)

Thanks for the link KyJim

Nanuck said:
... Ahem, excuse me professor. But how do we know if our experiments in the lab translate into the real world? ...

(with no disrespect to you personally)

It depends upon the nature of the experiment, what it proposes to demonstrate, and sometimes how well the experiment models (or serves as a useful analog) for a real world problem.

For instance when we use ballistic gel as a test medium, we know that it does not act exactly like any cross-section of a human being. It's really a rough analog for the viscosity and density of muscles tissue. It lacks all sorts of things ... fibrous muscle structures, membrane layers ... the list is pretty huge in that regard. It does one thing pretty well though ... serves as a consistent test medium for penetration and expansion performance, which extrapolates in meaningful ways to real-world performance. We observe different, complimentary but not contradictory results when comparing "the lab" to "the street".

Nanuck said:
Computer models and mathematical formulas only get you so far.
I haven't said anything about computer models, so I don't feel any responsibility to respond to that comment.

When we are talking about "mathematical formulas" however, we aren't just discussing made-up nonsense without a real-world point of reference. All of Newtons laws (and associated math) describe the real world - accurately - in mathematical terms. The fact that they do so is why we can send satellites into orbit and men to the moon. That kind of math allows us to predict with amazing accuracy what will happen in the real world.

Nanuck said:
The lab people like to dismiss anything that they cannot quantify in the lab. You are missing half the answer if you do it that way.
I think it's more the case that if there isn't an adequate way to test something under laboratory conditions ... that's just admitted. It's not like you can hide something like that.

If you don't have an adequate test, that's one thing. If you observe something "in the wild" which seems to be contradictory to established physical laws, it's usually the case that you haven't taken the right measurements or something else is going on.

But what's going on a lot of the time in discussions like these is people WANT a certain result, and they just make up whatever math they want (or misapply physical principles) in order to "prove" it. That's exactly what Julian Hatcher and John Taylor did, and it's a common criticism of Ed Ashby as well. The fact that you can easily demonstrate that their theories completely fall apart both in the lab, in the field ... and contradict any sound understanding of the physical principles involved ... that doesn't just go away because some fan doesn't understand the science.

Note that both Hatcher and Taylor overemphasized weight and/or momentum ... and start to see the pattern.

My general observation is that people fall in love with certain metrics (like momentum) because they are easily calculated. Add to that set of faulty notions regarding how penetration happens in elastic/plastic structures (as opposed to fluid structures, which behave differently) ... and all of a sudden you're all over the map, and not really doing anything but expressing a raw opinion supported by nothing but bad physics and bad science. The people who want to believe the same conclusions come along understanding even less of the physics and science ... but support all that nonsense as somehow being "proof" or "evidence" of what they wanted to believe all along.

I've stopped worrying about this, but I thought your comments called for a thoughtful, respectful response.

Last edited:
Back