Hogs and the Case for Caliber [Long]

excellent point, i didnt look at the .44 like a sidearm, probably because being a hunter in Canada i dont get the whole concept of sidearm. i have a rifle and a knife (or four). Ah, someday im gonna have to get a restricted permit and then i might get a sidearm.

Many hunters are unaware at how “different” a hog’s vital zone is compared to a deer or other North American game. Check out this link http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4380

A pig’s heart and tiny lungs lie snug against the bottom of the chest cavity and hidden well behind the leg. A hog’s spine does run very low in the body also. This is what keeps pigs from being able to look up. Many hunters shoot too high to hit heart and lugs, but get lucky and hit the spine. I have tracked several pigs that should have been dead where shot.

I don't know how tough are boars in America (or even if they are same kind like our European) but this one took 3 rounds - 8x57 Nosler partition through the kidneys,30-06 through the lungs and still going,eventually 7x64in the head stopped it.After that I bought 9,3x62 and I am much happier.

Attachments

• PB230047.JPG
    PB230047.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
[Drool]
We don't see that kind of European boar around here, much at all. Our variety is a feral form of domestic pig, with occasional minor cross-breeding. There's a whole lot more European boar talked about around here than are ever seen.

But hogs here are tough, too. It was when I watched a big (>100 kg) sow hit just aft of the lungs by a hard .30-'06 hit (165g at around 2800 at that distance) never miss a step and keep on going that I decided to hit my hogs with a C.N.S. hit.

Back