Hog Hunting with 45 Colt

JackMoser

I'm pretty sure Ross Seifred may have written more than one article about the 45 Colt.
I can look some more.I think maybe there was one about a Ruger Bisley and a Cape Buffalo.
I did find this one.He does mention the Ruger.
You have come off rather snarky."Do you even hunt" Was that necessary?
I am open minded enough to consider Seifred may well have had a handgun built by Linebaugh.You might be right.
But who cares? Does it make you feel bigger? In the attached article,Ross says he killed the buffalo with a handgun built by Hamilton Bowen,not Linebaugh.So what?.He may well have done it again with a Linebaugh,AND with a stock Ruger Bisley. Why not? He's having fun.

The OP asked if a 45 Colt was adequate for hog.I answered him by saying Ross killed a cape buffalo with one.
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=321&magid=24

If you're going to quote an authority, at least get your facts straight and spell their name right. Try actually reading the article. The 45 Colt sixgun Seyfried used to take the Cape buffalo is the Linebaugh Seville in the picture. As I said, it had an over sized six shot cylinder loaded with +50ksi loads. About 400ft/sec faster than one can accomplish in a standard six shot Ruger. Not exactly the same thing. Nothing personal, don't get your drawers in a bunch over it.

Yes, I have to question whether or not someone posting in a thread about hunting with the 45 Colt has actually hunted with one. Particularly when they make questionable statements.

Some handguns can take more pressure than the lever rifles can.
While I'm at it, the modern 1892 is capable of handling more pressure than anything but a Freedom Arms.

The OP mentions various 45 Colt +P loads, which can approach many 44 mag loads. However, much of the data for 45 Colt +P ammo says that it is ok for some Ruger revolvers and Marlin rifles, and not much else. Are you sure that a Rossi rifle can handle it?

rickyrick...sounds like you need to possibly modify your approach to shooting trapped hogs. I've shot them in traps with bunches of calibers from .22 on up and they normally drop with one shot. I try for a point between the eyes and slightly high or behind the ear, but shots to the back of the head have yielded good results too. Trapped hogs don't need big calibers, nor do they need to get body shots. I'm sure you know all this anyway....keep whacking away at em'.

Part 3 of my chase

I think the Rossi is up for the challenge.
DSC03604.jpg

The other day on the range
DSC00023.jpg

Results:
JL45ColtRossi-2.jpg

Then I had fun with this, just in case I chicken out with the 45colt.
DSC00020.jpg

460XVR.jpg

I'm not a hog hunter, bu out of a carbine length barrel an 1100fps revolver load should reach 1300fps or more. With correct bullets there is no doubt this will kill hogs. End of story.

MrRevolverguy,

The colt +p's should get it done. I've loaded 250g Hornady XTP in my 7.5 Vaquero to the max loads give by Hodgdon with H110 and it bested my buddies 240g XTP's from his Super Blackhawk by about 120fps and 10k psi less pressure.

That should end the debate. ( Yeah right ;))

As for the 460 XVR, are those hand loads? Your velocities seem quite low to me. The factory FTX 200 is 2200fps and I routinely load the 240g XTP-MAG to 2000+

Does the temp drop em that much or did you load em down?

Last edited:
If I can get a good shot at a hog, the hog will die with my 45 Colt. That is revolver or carbine. I like cast the best, and will give a better chance for bleeding than any jacketed pistol bullet.
I particularly like the use of this bullet (mine is self cast).
http://westernbullet.com/rcbs45270saa.html

I like 12 or 13gr. of HS-6 with this and makes for a nicer 1300fps load if out of my carbine. It should penetrate completely through most hogs. If I am using a carbine as a primary firearm, I'll usually load it a bit hotter with a Ranch Dog gas checked bullet going 1650fps or so. Works the same as a 45-70, which I hope most know works well with good shot placement as well. Your Rossi and any Marlin is up to this load.

Years ago in the Speer #9 loading handbook they listed loads in both 45 Colt & 44 mag that were for Ruger Blackhawks and TC Contenders only.
I loaded a Speer 250 grain bullet with 23 grains of Winchester 296 in45 Colt, it was a handful but the cases all looked good easy extraction, primer was fine. I still load that but have since went to 22 grans of 296.
Now I don't recommend you shoot this unless you look it up yourself.
On a side note the 44 mag used a Speer 240Gr SP with 22 grains of Win 296.
Used to be my go to powder when I wanted to get either of my Rugers loaded on the heavy side.

Been a bunch of years, but I used either HS-6 or H-110 (max loads) behind 300-grain bullets in both .44 Mag and .45 Colt. (Redhawk and Blackhawk.)

Serious thump at both ends. Probably go through a hog like grass through a goose. As a nefarious buddy said, "Quicker'n a dose of salts through a widow woman."

My early Marlin 1894 in 44 mag really liked those loads and they would put a thumping on steel chickens etc!!
I would think the H110 very close to 296.

A 255 grain cast bullet going 1200fps will be sufficient for anything in North America and a Rossi will handle it just fine.

I've taken a 225 lb, Russian strain, wild bore with my 6 1/2" Blackhawk .357 magnum. It shot through the pig with a broadside lung shot. It broke ribs on both sides. I was shooting a Keith SWC, a NOE custom order die that matched Keith's original Ideal mold.

While I haven't YET taken a wild boar with my .45 Colt Blackhawk or Rossi, I would not feel under-gunned using any .45 cal in a 255 or larger bullet traveling over 1000 fps.

Back