Hog Got Knocked Off Its Feet

For wild hog hunting I've found that my older Marlin levergun in 35 Remington is a consistent lethal killing rifle. Majority of hogs drop in their tracks or topple over after just a few steps. The mighty 35 does not have impressive velocity or energy figures on paper charts but it hits very hard within reasonable distances.

Florida has abundant wild hogs because no winter kill, lack of predators, and they produce piglets at least twice per year! They can be hunted year round although summer hunts are best performed after dark with specialty night vision gear. I've had my best luck hunting them in late afternoon.

Jack

I'm going on a hog and ram hunt and have decided on a 45 colt levergun for this particular hunt. I have a daughter who lives in the Naples, FL area and planned on setting up a hog hut this year as well.

Good job.

Shooting any hog is fun, the dirt twerk as Dap says, never gets old. I'd rather kill every sow I see though. It's cool to kill a nasty bo hog but, they aren't the ones dropping a litter every six months.

Do one with a .300wm and some NBT's or Accubonds in the melon. That'll make a mess.

Starting to see hogs here in Michigan, so I have been thinking about hog loads 30.06 180gr sst should do it !!!

Starting to see hogs here in Michigan, so I have been thinking about hog loads 30.06 180gr sst should do it !!!

I've seen the effects of SST/Ballistic Tip bullets on hogs and they weren't great. I've seen them blow apart on the shoulders and penetrate deep enough for a quick kill and I've seen the kill but blow apart enough to ruin lots of good meat. You'll do far better with a bullet that will stay together.

I've seen the effects of SST/Ballistic Tip bullets on hogs and they weren't great. I've seen them blow apart on the shoulders and penetrate deep enough for a quick kill and I've seen the kill but blow apart enough to ruin lots of good meat. You'll do far better with a bullet that will stay together.
I've literally taken well over 100 wild hogs with a 25-06 spitting out 117 gr Hornady BTSP's and probably another 30-35 with 117gr Hornady SST's.

First of all killing pigs is different than deer.I wouldn't shoot a big wild boar in the shoulder with any size rifle.Quartering away shots if you just have to shoot heart/lung.I shoot heart /lung occasionally but hate meat damage so 90% of the time I go head/neck shot.Some shots were inside 50 yards and some were way out there........400.Two failures to date and most likely my fault on both,running shots in low light.

Almost all of my hog hunting anymore is done with a 6.5 Creedmore using 123 SST's. Granted they don't have the penetration of some bullets, but do a great job if placed correctly.
A lot of hog hunting in my area is done around very dense woods and using tough bullets that will penetrate through a hog often time allow the hog to make it some distance before going down which results in lost animals.
Using the SST bullets in the neck or frontal areas of the hog seem to drop them instantly by doing major damage internally and upsetting their central nervous system.

Almost all of my hog hunting anymore is done with a 6.5 Creedmore using 123 SST's. Granted they don't have the penetration of some bullets, but do a great job if placed correctly.
A lot of hog hunting in my area is done around very dense woods and using tough bullets that will penetrate through a hog often time allow the hog to make it some distance before going down which results in lost animals.
Using the SST bullets in the neck or frontal areas of the hog seem to drop them instantly by doing major damage internally and upsetting their central nervous system.
A simple "LIKE" button would suffice

My one time hog hunting (in Georgia), I took a 8x57 mauser, which penetrated more than sufficiently, but it took only 1 of the 3 I shot. I had borrowed a Ruger 44 mag Super Redhawk, as a "back up." Well when they're 50 feet from you, running through the trees as pack, that bolt gun gets a little cumbersome and the revolver starts making a lot of sense. It was a little too much gun, sort of... but oh man was it fun!

I'd like to do some more hog hunting, but we don't have them up here in my part of VA, and I imagine wishing out loud for some to migrate north would result in having my jaw broken by any number of local farmers. Perhaps I'll seek out a host down south!

Back