Hmmm, which one???

Which Scope.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kilotanker22

So Here I am, Sitting down to order a new optic. And wouldn't you know. I am stuck between two options with similar price tags....

Both are excellent IMO, and I wouldn't be losing out either way...... I will try to start a poll in this thread and allow the masses here to choose for me. The Vortex is $100 more than the Leupold. Leupold has 2 turn zero stop turrets, but Vortex has a cool reticle....

I guess worth noting is the fact that the Leupold is 12 OZ lighter than the Vortex.

1: Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2 Side Focus

2: Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP

Last edited:
Actually I just called my LGS. He can get me the
Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2 Side Focus - Duplex Reticle for $750!! That's cheaper than I can find it anywhere online... That puts the Leupold $250 cheaper than the Vortex.

What's it going on?
What will it be used for? (The firearm, not the scope. We know what a scope is used for).

It's going on my Savage model 110 Tactical desert. 6.5 Creedmoor. Typical range fodder and Varmint stuff. Maybe shoot a few 600 yard matches if I can find one nearby.

If I really like the optic I will buy another for a rifle build I am planning. I intend to buy another TC Venture rifle or a Remington 700 ADL. And build a 28 Nosler rifle.

The reticle is more important at that point than the price.

I was looking at a Vortex the other day, the cross hairs are way to fine for my eye.

The reticle is more important at that point than the price.

I was looking at a Vortex the other day, the cross hairs are way to fine for my eye.
Honestly, I prefer not to have a complex reticle. I find them distracting. I prefer a duplex.

I'd actually go a different route.
Sightron STAC 4-20X50.
About $400 on Amazon. Would save you a few rubles.
Love mine!

To be honest, between the Sightron you mentioned and the Leupold. The Leupold is an inch shorter and 4 ounces lighter. The rifle weihges 8.8 naked. This is also the reason I am leaning toward the Leupold over the vortex. I want to keep the whole setup with optic, Bipod and a loaded ten round mag less than 13 pounds if possible.

Also the 2 rotation zero lock turrets is another feature I very much like.

Lol, I guess yeah. The vortex is a full 11 ounces heavier than the Leupold.

I am building a new rifle soon as well. So maybe I should just buy both

I also thought about the Bushnell Forge 4.5-27. but again I am in with an optic that weighs 2 pounds.

I have owned a few Bushnell Elites. And I am a firm believer that they have some of the best optics in their price range.

Just need something different. I have never purchased optics new above the $400 price range.

I'm gonna go with the Vortex for the reticle, since your designated purpose is range use. Honestly they're both going to be great scopes, so you can't go wrong either way.

Bushnell

I too am a fan of the Bushnell Elite series of scopes. Back when I bought my Elite the Elite series was made in Japan.

The cheap charlie Bushnell blister pack scopes are from China.

No comparison, the Elite series will run with the big dogs, typically at a reasonable cost.

In my opinion due to those cheap blister pack products Bushnell has rather trashed their company name.

The Elite series is very good in my opinion.

Alas, we all know by now of the differences between the blister pack Bushnell, and the quality of the Elite series.

Maybe you should call Gunwerks and get a Revic scope. I looked at one last year at the Harrisburg Outdoor Show.
Has everything, and i mean everything but wind reading.
Cost was $4,300, and it weighs like 4 lbs when you pick it up.
Did i mention it does everything but wind reading? Lol

I bought myself a VX5 3-15 CDS with the firedot for Christmas. It is intended to replace a Vortex Viper 4-16 PST FFP, gen 1. I really have used and liked the Vortex for the last few years, but I wanted the CDS and the firedot.

So what does that mean? It means I like them both. Sometimes choices are tough.

There is one thing worthy of mention. If the OP hunts many places at different altitudes and temperature extremes, I’d go with the Vortex and the turrets. Pretty easy to redo your shooting dope with a good ballistics app and no money spent. With the CDS, if the altitude and atmosphere diffs are big, and the shots are long, he may need a new CDS cap for $65.

Need new turrets? No. Just replace the custom one with the original on set to zero. And just adjust the turret for elevation and windage. If you know how many minutes to adjust it won't be an issue

Back