HK USP9?

I personally tried 2 HK USP9. I think that
trigger in DA is very bad for $500+ pistol.
In SA it's also not a gift...Even GUNTESTS
people (who're heavily in sales business)
acknowledged that. I also read a lot of good
things about HK USP9 and I think it's O.K.
pistol for the military - cheap to make
(means cheap to replace), reasonably accurate
and reliable, but as a civilian who pays
for my pistols out of my own pocket, I do
not want it. After reading all arcticles
on the subject of HK USP, I got exicited. I then went to the store and asked to handle one. That was the end of HK USP for me, 'cause I also and mostly, accidently, asked
to try CZ-75B...Difference between two of these pistols was too big to ignore...
I'm a big fan of CZ-75 now...Try CZ and HK USP9 together and see what happens...
You can thank me later... (smile).

I bought a USP9 a few months at a gun show for $475 in cardboard box, 2 mags. I think Dave Avery is selling them for about that much now, although the shipping costs and transfer fees may not make it worth it.

I find the gun is not entirely pleasant to shoot. Kick is about the same compared to the 92FS, sig 226, or Glock 34. The back of the grip really bites into my palm after a while. I also agree with Oris --- the trigger is awful for such an expensive gun. Stripping is a little slower than Beretta or Sig.

On the plus side, the gun is very reliable, and fairly accurate. The sites are drilled all the way through, and the inserts look like they can be replaced with florescent fiber-optic ones. I just bought a B-square scope mount that fits on to the grooves, so I can report back later on that.

Odd number versions are right-handed models, even are left. Version 1 has a safety/decocker and can be cocked and locked, version 3 I think is decocker only.

The bottom line? IMHO, Great defensive weapon, looks really mean, very reliable, but not worth the money if you shoot for fun and it is your only gun.

My USP is a few years old, but the trigger doesnt feel that bad to me. I want to put an expert trigger in, but it isnt necissary. And about the grips, it is good for grip, but i like it better with hogue handalls, because it is soft and has finger grooves. Any pistol can be improved, and for the price the USP should have a better trigger, but it isnt ne thing to bitch about. Maybe the newer ones dropped in quality, but i dunno.

Well, for what it's worth, the customer service is pretty bad.

I called them up about the rusting in my barrel and the rep there said this:

"As long as your gun fires, don't bother us."

Ouch.

As for your other questions:

3) Not as soft/controllable as the Beretta Cougar, but easier than comparable Glocks, Sigs, or full-size Berettas.

5) No problem so far with 600 rounds of Winchester USA, Hydrashok, and Silvertips.

7) When I asked my dealer, additional mags were in the range of $50 (!). This is for a TEN rounder (!!) made of a bit of plastic.

9) Easy and fast. Some worry about losing the slide lock, but... c'mon... maybe if you are going to dissassemble it in the dark on the edge of a cliff in combat, that might be a problem. But sitting on my porch cleaning the gun, there's not much chance of losing that slide lock.

10) ;) If you do buy this one, get the Hogue Handall and put it on. It makes a world of difference -- especially because the crappy polymer starts slipping and jumping after a few rounds' worth of sweat accumulates. Not to mention it stops the backstrap from digging into your palm (not that it's so sharp, but for $12, the Handall is so much more comfortable...)

-Jon

Back