HK USP9?

SGB

Have been looking to buy a 9mm pistol for some time. I'm now looking extensively at the USP9. I have a number of questions for you USP owners..
1) How reliable?
2) How accurate?
3) How effective is the short recoil design?
4) What is the best price that you've encountered?
5) Any ammo hiccups or jams?
6) What kind of warranty/HK customer service?
7) How much are extra mags?
8) How many rounds do LEO mags hold? Price and availability?
9) Ease of disassembly?
I would appreciate any help that you could give me! Thanks!

I have some experience with a USP40(FS), which is similar in many respects to the USP9.

1. reliability: 2 failure to feed due to bad ammo in 1200 rounds.

4. full-size, blue should be around $529, no night sites. Compact ~ +$60. Stainless ~ +$60. Trijicon night sights are around $80.

7. 10-round mags are around $24.

8. pre-ban mags (15 rnd??) should be about $90 - $110.

9. very easy to field-strip. I have no experience taking it apart beyond that point.

I recently bought a barely used one from my cousin. Well here's what i gotta say:
--------------------------------------------
"1) How reliable?"
My HK 9mm Full size has 600-700 rounds of winchester and UMC FMJ's with not one failure. I will soon see how it does with some +p hollopoints (I got quik-shoks 115 gr. and Speer Gold dots 124gr.).
"2) How accurate?"
I have the Hogue handalls on mine, which makes it more comfortable to use. I am more accurate with my HK than all my 4 revolvers, but it is the only semi-auto i have and shot so far.
"3) How effective is the short recoil design?"
To me, my HK has less recoil than my little SW 317 .22lr revolver (I might be weird :) Maybe its because its a little gun with my pinkie hangin).
"4) What is the best price that you've encountered?"
I live in miami and since guns are in high demand :) the price seems to be higher. The cheapest i found was at a gunshow for $550.
"5) Any ammo hiccups or jams?"
Nope! (see 1)
"6) What kind of warranty/HK customer service?"
I know it has a lifetime warranty, but luckly i never needed it so far.
"7) How much are extra mags?"
At the last gunshow they were $35.
"8) How many rounds do LEO mags hold? Price and availability?"
The standard capacity is 15, but i have seen some 18 rounders. Preban mags i have seen are $80+. If you are in law inforcement i believe the standard 15 round magazines are the same price as the restricted cap magazine.
"9) Ease of disassembly?"
I can dissasemble my gun very quik! Pull the slide back a touch, pull out the slide release lever, and push the slide forward.
---------------------------------------------
Hope this helps, Matt
---------------------------------------------
O yea and i plan on gettin a Match Trigger and Bar Sto extended barrels and springs
andd things!!!!!!

I have another quick question. What is all of this talk about variants? Is each variant a different model or is one model capable of all variants w/o extra parts? In other words right out of the box.

1) How reliable? I have 2,300 rounds through mine. There was one jam in the first 50 rounds.
2) How accurate? I haven't tested it. However, I find it very easy to shoot. It shoots to point of aim.
3) How effective is the short recoil design? I am not sure what you mean here. Recoil is very mild, among the lightest of the 9mms that I have fired.
4) What is the best price that you've encountered? $500 is the best price that I have seen on a gray box, 2 magazine version. If you see a low price, verify that it comes with the gray carrying case and two magazines. HK sold promotional versions in a cardboard box and one magazine. There is nothing wrong with the promos, just don't get surprised.
5) Any ammo hiccups or jams? See no. 1.
6) What kind of warranty/HK customer service? Satisfactory. I sent mine in to have the ambidextrous decocking lever installed. It was there a little over one week.
7) How much are extra mags? On HK's price list, an extra mag is $28.
8) How many rounds do LEO mags hold? Price and availability? 15 rounds. High capacity pre-ban magazines are about $100. Civilians cannot own post-ban LEO magazines.
9) Ease of disassembly? Not bad, but not as easy as a Glock.
10) Variants? Any HK USP can be converted into any of the other variants.

It is an excellent pistol. You won't be disappointed.

Here are some HK links:
http://www.heckler-koch.de/homeuk.htm
http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/
http://www.streetpro.com/usp/
http://www.unsuave.com/~hkpro/home.htm
http://www.banzai-institute.org/rtx/hk/usp.shtml

[This message has been edited by Cawdor (edited December 17, 1999).]

SGB,

I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a .380 and a .357Sig/40mm, both in personal size Sigs. Now, I'm looking for a 9mm.

I just shot a USP 9 last week, and it is nothing short of sweet. Although it is a full size, and I have small hands, it was a piece of cake. Very reasonable recoil.

I have found it a smidge more accurate than the Sigs, and much more accurate than Glocks.

It's also a baaad looking piece, more so than the Sigs, IMHO.

It's in my sights.

Roon

HKKIDDO,

It seems after taking a look at that site that you recomended that the variant that I would want would be the 1st variant. If I'm not mistaken that is the variant that would function the most like a Beretta 92FS, the gun that I'm most familiar with. Thank's for your continued input!

P.S.-The more I read about the USP the more I'm impressed! I have to go rent one at a range! SOON!

Just ask away, im glad i could help. Wait till my USP is all "tricked" out :) ~~drool~~. Also subscribe to the HK-L mailing list for more info.

[This message has been edited by HKKiddo (edited December 17, 1999).]

Cawdor,
Do you have any experience with the Beretta 92FS? If so how does the recoil from the 92FS compare to the USP? Thank you for your post!

SGB, I own an H&K USP .40 that has been 100% reliable so far. I have a friend who owns the compact version and it has been 100% reliable so far as well. The cheapest I have seen them for was $499. That was before the Y2K craze got rolling. $529 is about what they're going for now in my area. I have seen the hi-cap mags for as low as $79 recently. My friend's compact shot a little low for him so I called H&K. He bought the gun second hand, but they insisted they would fix it for free. They wanted him to ship the gun to them so they could look it over and fix it. I talked them into sending a lower front sight which took all of three days to arrive. Problem solved. Shake

I could not resist responding to this tonite, expecially since this topic is so new.

My experience lies with the USP40-C. Same gun basically as the others in the family. I'll only add that the C is not a beefed up 9mm. It was desinged as a .40 from the get go.

My .02 is that this is the most accurate, reliable adn durable pistol I have ownde in over 20 years of shooting experience. I have not experienced one single failure of any sort with my USP. Recoil is very managable even with potent Cor-Bons or other specialty ammo. I paid around $695 with case, two extended floorplate mags and nite sites. Extra mags can run you 30 to 45 $ depending. You can't get LEO mags for the compact as they don't exist. Takes apart like most current autos.

Best of the best in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, time for some sleep. Later folks.

customer service- not good
gun--great
10 round mag cdnn for $23, don't know if they are still on sell
15 rounder $99 kyimport.com

------------------
JOIN THE NRA

jfleming, does kyimport still have the 15 rounders? can u make a link cuz i cant find site and tried address you gave. Thanx

SQB, I have fired about 150 rounds through a Beretta 92. I thought its recoil was mild, about the same as the HK. However, among the 9mms I have fired, I haven't found enough difference in recoil for it to be a factor in determining whether I would buy the pistol. In other words, there wasn't enough difference to make a difference.

If you don't have much experience with 9mms, try renting some before you buy. There are several good 9mm pistols available. I like my USP, but the Beretta, the Glock 17/19, and the Sig 226/228/229 are very good pistols.

SGB, HK USP9 has a awfully bad trigger pull,
particularly in DA. Just about any other
brand name DA/SA pistol is better in regard
to trigger. But, if you are ready to spend
a couple more hundred bucks for making trigger a bit lighter...go for it...

Just a friendly warning.

I dont think the trigger is that bad, but not as good as say a sig. I like to use it in SA, and it is pretty good, except mine has a little play in it.

Back