Hillary Hole Plug

I have a few S&W N frames and I don’t know how they stack up against a 2nd or 3rd gen.
Colt SAA but it don’t matter. A N frame S&W is a precision firearm designed for the industry standards of ammunition. This is one case where prolonged diet of heavy magnum loads will beat your gun up. I don’t care what cartridge standard or magnum. A 27 will take more magnums than the bigger bores.
I shot 240 JHP / 22.5 gr 2400 in Ruger SBH, my deer shooter. The only reason for hot load is it’s a sweet spot of accuracy. I would never squeeze them off in my 29s. My S&Ws all get fed cast and moderate to LV target loads. I have one 25-5 tuned to 250 cast duplicating original 45 Colt BP load with Unique or Win 630. My 25-2s are tuned with 230 cast, also mild for paper. I had a Ruger BH 45Colt that came with a 270gr Kieth style mold. I loaded a few 270s and found them unpleasant and unnecessary for anything in these parts.

I don’t think “comfort” has anything to do with the advice you’re getting.
If you want to shoot these loads in your 25 then go for it. Personally, if it were my 25 I would give it all the love and respect it deserves, 250grs at around 850-900 seem fine to me.
I haven’t seen any growing on trees lately.

I don't know for sure what they do today, but in the past, when S&W offered magnum and non magnum chamberings in the same frame size guns, they said they used a different heat treating on the magnum cylinders.

The super heavy bullets are something that has been pushed by certain folks in recent decades, I don't have a need or a use for them.

Shoot what you feel is right, if it works, fine. If it causes problem, re-evaluate your priorities.
:D

I don’t think “comfort” has anything to do with the advice you’re getting.

The only advice I was looking for was what color of Hillary hole plug to get. And I also said I may or may not be pushing 325's at 1200 FPS. Enter Schrodinger's cat.

I picked up this new M25 at my LGS. Maybe not growing on trees, but not hard to come by either. I bought it for the sole purpose of shooting heavy 45 Colt loads in a lighter package for my occasional dirt bike trips to the middle of nowhere in bear country. If it only lasts for 500 rounds of hot loads, that will be 20+ years.

I will say though, it is hands down my most accurate handgun. I've never really been worried about precision accuracy from my handguns but I was astonished at how good I actually am with a handgun when I shot this one for the first time. As such, I have been seriously contemplating getting another M25 for the hot loads and keeping this one as a tack driver.

I don't know for sure what they do today, but in the past, when S&W offered magnum and non magnum chamberings in the same frame size guns, they said they used a different heat treating on the magnum cylinders.

The super heavy bullets are something that has been pushed by certain folks in recent decades, I don't have a need or a use for them.

Shoot what you feel is right, if it works, fine. If it causes problem, re-evaluate your priorities.

I started low and worked my way up to Linebaugh type loads. The brass literally falls out of the cylinder so I'm not overly worried about it for the limited number of hot loads it will shoot.

I have had a lot of experience with elk. I don't hunt, but my farm is over run by them in the wintertime so I literally get kill tags by the ten pack from the fish and game. In my experience, the heavier the bullet, the faster they go down (outside of the one I shot with a factory load 158 GR 357 mag from my 5" revolver at 200 yards that I wasn't actually trying to hit - it dropped dead instantly and didn't even twitch).

As such, If I were to run into an angry bear, I want a big heavy bullet, and I want it traveling as fast as the gun can push it. Yes, I have a 454 and 460, but I wanted something lighter, and still .452. After some research, I decided the 6.5" M25 fit the bill, and it doesn't disappoint.

and as far as:

"No. All the scandium line 357mags are lockless minus the R8."

I beg to differ. I have owned two M340s and one M360; all were Scandium .357 Mag J-frames with The Lock.

Back