Highway Patrolman

smee78 - look up to Wyosmith's post, here's your chance.

BTW in Texas we call those Barbeque guns. If you were a sheriff, you had to do a little politicing. You couldn't show up to the city July 4th BBQ wearing starched and pressed jeans, white shirt with pearl snaps, polished boots and a duty worn revolver. You put your engraved gun with fancy grips in your rig for those events. Not everything about yesterday was better, but I miss that certain kind civility from then. Ladies wore dresses, little hats and gloves to public events, lawmen wore engraved revolvers. Those were the days.

Last edited:
Reminder to everyone that there are no sales in the Handgun forums.

If you have someone to sell, please post it in the appropriate gunshow forum thread.

That engraved gun is what the Texas Rangers call a "Bar-B-Q gun." It is a nice example of one I might add.

In explanation it meant that the gun was beyond being a daily carry. Typically brought out to be shown in a very flashy exotic rig holster, and belt that went along with his best suit. Special occasions like weddings, and the yearly barbacue would be a time it would be shown.

I'll be keeping it for a few more years. Take it up to the range and shoot offhand at steel plate, makes the "polymer" shooters stop and stare:D. I'm 54 and grew up with revolvers and shooting in a more old school style.

I would say that that gun is well above the standards of what I know as a "barbeque gun", which generally has flashy but poor quality engraving (often done "across the river"), and a lot of silver or chrome plating.

Jim.

Beautiful piece.

I encourage you to take it to the Smith & Wesson forum and share it there. Someone may recognize the style of engraving.

tipoc

The engraving looks skillfully done. An M-28 is an odd choice IMHO as it is a "service grade" gun IMHO, but they paid for it.
I own a 6" and a 4" M-27 Nickel. As close as I will get to a Registered Magnum I figure.

By the time it was engraved and reblued, I don't think it matters that it started out as a plain Jane model.

It's been long while since I looked up the numbers but I think my M27 is a mid 1960s model and that came with a 4" barrel. A gunsmith in Astoria, OR put on a 6" barrel and reblued the cylinder for $75 around 20 years ago. It has serious holster wear on the cylinder. It looked like it was in and out of a holster 10,000 times without ever rotating the cylinder. After that it looked like new...

Tony

Back