High-value training with low round counts?

Its been decades ago,the memory is vague.
I recall reading of Ross Seifred.
He was in South Africa. Ammunition was extremely limited.
IIRC.round count for a practice session might only be 10 or 12 total.
He stressed that every one of the rounds went to "doing it right"
He then went to win some World Championship with his 1911.
Round count is not everything

I agree Lohman. Learning and practicing good fundamentals are essential.

Tiny groups in combat shooting at the cost of speed is not good use of time or ammo. The other extreme, shooting faster than one is able to control, is not effective either. The point is "perfect" practice is dependent on what is being practiced for, and the skill level and objective of the one practicing. Unless "perfect" is defined individually it has little meaning.
This gets to the meat of my question, really. All agree that training must focus on that mixture of speed and accuracy.

Now...will putting 10, 20, 50 rounds accurately into a 4" circle make you any better than 3 or 5 rounds?

Now...will putting 10, 20, 50 rounds accurately into a 4" circle make you any better than 3 or 5 rounds?
I have no idea whyt they would concentrate on a four inch circle.

However, shooting a large number of rounds--not fifty , but maybe one thousand plus in a day or two--very quickly--is an exercise designed to improve one's ability to "run the gun" and fire rapidly in a self defense situation.

Shooting three or five rounds cannot so that.

I would use a torso sized steel plate.

But that is not self defense training. It is an exercise tto help a student learn to shoot.

Then. drawing while moving and shooting three to five shots rapidly comes into play.

Try a chest size target, at ten or fifteen feet.

I find that practicing a variety of training drills saves me way more ammo than just going "target shooting"...

the DOT torture drill for example, doesn't have a PAR time. And for that matter any that do you don't always need to practice that way depending on your skill level or what you need out of it. A beginner shouldn't worry about par time on any drill IMO, but should practice them anyways.
Take your time.

Back