High Powered Rifle

Well, you could go with any rifle able to compete in NRA High Power competitions.

Personally, I think the line between "battle rifle" and "assault rifle" is a good line, as the Army technical definition, "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges." (http://031d26d.namesecurehost.com/gunfax//fstcp67.jpg)

Once upon a time, a high powered rifle was one using cases with primers centerd in a pocket on the case head. This was the definition so as to separate them from rimfire cartridges.

It's like every other word or descriptive phrase in a language. Change the meaning of it enough across a given population fo be accepted by a lot of people and it becomes what's new and popular. The "icing" on the language cake is when the new defininition shows up in dictionaries and on Wikipedia's web site. Putting up with the discontent of elders who don't want to go along with it is just part of life.

There was a time when one minute of subtended angle (MOA) on gun sights meant exactly one inch per hundred yards of range and they so adusted exactly that amount or exact divisions thereof. Someone invented a scientific calculator with trigonometry funtions on it and that got changed by so many folks to some value that they cannot write all the numbers down for it to be exact.

I have to agree with Bart.

Everyone that taught me shooting skills considered anything centerfire high powered. Rimfire was just rimfire, but wasn't to be played with like a toy.

I guess you could call your old Red Rider BB gun a low powered rifle. If it will not pierce a ,60's era tin can, then it might not be high powered.

It does not help our cause that ammo manufacturers use titles like "Hi-Power", etc in marketing. There seems to be a plethora of idiots out there who wouldn't know an "assault weapon" if they passed it in their stool, yet think the world would be better if everyone had theirs taken away. Then there's the coroner, who in the wake of Sandy Hook, was talking about the destructiveness of .223 rounds on human tissue. I've killed fox, coyote, groundhog and even crows with a .223 at ranges from 50 to 250 yards, and have never seen this awesome destruction, even with hollow point varmint bullets.

Then there's the coroner, who in the wake of Sandy Hook, was talking about the destructiveness of .223 rounds on human tissue. I've killed fox, coyote, groundhog and even crows with a .223 at ranges from 50 to 250 yards, and have never seen this awesome destruction, even with hollow point varmint bullets.

Maybe the guy has an agenda?

Compared to some of the other causes of death I've seen (such as a speeding Nissan), GSW's are not very destructive at all .......

Kraig, some .600 Nitro Express loads shoot their 900-gr. bullets out under 1800 fps. That's pretty darn high powered to me.

Heck I have a old Croseman pump BB gun. Hold 100 plus BB's in the thing. 10 pumps is like 1100 fps. Now that is a assult rifle and High power all in one:D.

I've always considered a high Powered rifle to be
a 30-06 and beyond. I can't factually justify this.

I think this is the best response. To me, a "high power rifle" is one designed for hunting bigger game; for long distance shooting; or for comparatively fast muzzle velocities. I too am of the opinion that 30-06 is at the lower end of high powered rifles. Although, I'd also include 22-250 and 220 Swift in that category.

I do not consider .223 (AR15) or 7.62x39 (AK47) to be high-power rifle cartridges.

A "high power" rifle is any rifle chambered for .22 savage high power. Duh!:rolleyes:

I don't use the term myself but I always have thought it refers to any centerfire rifle.

Lately it is a term used by the media to make rifles seem more destructive and unnecessary for civilians to own.

I would call any .30 cal or larger centerfire high power.

Are you including 7.62x39, 30-30 Winchester and .30 Carbine? I've always thought of these cartridges to be on the lower or middle power level of rifle cartridges.

.30 carbine and .38-40 rounds high power ones?

Then 7mm Remington, Weatherby and STW magnums are low powered rifle cartridges???

Back