Hi-Point pistol and carbine review

I wont laugh,:)I LOVE the 9mm carbine:), I cant tell you how many thousands of rounds down its throat, but it's my households MOST used gun. the only problem I have ever had with it, is when it got really, I mean REALLY dirty, the trigger wouldn't reset. that's my biggest complaint, is the breakdown is pretty awful, which means I don't clean it like I should. But since its not one of our defense guns, we don't really care.

and we have all seen the story where the woman defended herself with a semi-auto shotgun(reporters....), I mean HI-POINT carbine, and lived to tell about it

I likethe article, I wish more people would have faith in hi-point products, although I believe the pistols are too bulky for conceal carry, if its all I could afford, you be I would carry it. I disagree with the carbine recoil being similar to an ar15, that is not my experience at all, I find it very, very mild.

Last edited:
I appreciate all of the feedback.
I had very little experience with Hi-Points before my review and did not know what quite to expect.
I went to the range with a pile of ammunition and an open mind. I came away with a deeper appreciation for them.
To be able to make a reliable firearm, with a lifetime warranty, at this price point, in America says something.

I will admit, I got a few weird looks when I showed up to the range with the test samples but after I let a few folks try them out I believe they had a change of heart.

100 rounds Winchester USA 9MM---$30
A couple hours range time-----------$40
Hi-Point C9----------------------------$150
The look on the face of the guy in the next lane when you out shoot his $800 finely finished big name 9MM---------PRICELESS!:D:D:D

When I'm at the range with my 995 it goes:

"BOP! BOB! BOP! BOP! BOP! BOP! BOP! BOP! BOP! BOP!"

"Chk-chk-..."

"BOP! BOB! BOP! BOP! BOP! BOP! BOP! BOP! BOP! BOP!"

Till I start to smell burning plastic, then I leave. :cool:

I have an old Haskell .45 ACP. It is so ugly it makes the 916 C9 look like a beauty queen.

Once I get the strength to lift the heavy thing up, it fires every time I pull the trigger. Felt recoil is about like shooting a .22 rimfire.

Last edited:
Nice write up.
Dealing with the size and weight of the C9 as carry gun is doable if you really had no other choice. I had a C9 compact years ago, and I carried it a few times.

The thing the worried me most was the really poor safety design. If I remember correctly it just blocks the sear from dropping, and it would slip off safe very easy. That's one handgun I would carry with an empty chamber.

Good read.

I use to have a Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm and was offered crazy money for it and sold it. I have regretted that ever since.
Now this has me thinking I may need one.

From the OP's review:
So, I will address the elephant in the room. The C9 is not a very attractive pistol to some, but as we all know, ugly folks get married everyday and are happy.

I really enjoyed your write-up. Good review!

Hi-Point firearms may be butt ugly but they're beautifully reliable...

I just purchased a Hi-Point .45 carbine as a gift for my bil. Hey, it's what he wanted. It even came with a tinker toy POS red dot sight.
I'm laughing at him so I'm going to laugh at you too.

No need to defend your gun, Hunter, I took my HP 995 out today, to try out the dreaded Promag 15 rd mag I bought at a gunshow 2 months ago. The results where...Flawless! the gun didn't self destruct, it shot fine, except for some really burned casings I noticed flying out. I could not put much lead on paper at 50 yards, but at 25 I was packing them in the green zone of the dirty bird targets, and this was using a mix of PMC bronze and Tula steel cased. Screw the haters, my man. The Hi point carbine can hold it's own.

People seem to forget about pistol caliber carbines for HD. For an elderly person they are easily managed compared to handguns and shotguns. As fugly as the Hi Point's are they work and that is what is important.

I took my HP 995 out today, to try out the dreaded Promag 15 rd mag I bought at a gunshow 2 months ago. The results where...Flawless!

I started thinking about those Promag 15 rounders about 20 seconds before I came across the above quote. I have a vague memory they made some changes to them in recent times. I wonder if they are now good to go for the HP 995. Anyone know? The only thing I never cared for with the 995 is the 10 round mags.

I have the first gen model 40S&W.

Love this pistol! Was surprised that for $150, with holster, that it has adjustable rear sight.

I'm doing reloads for it with Blue Dot, and 150 grain XTP's.

Just wish I could find a couple more magazines for the first gen.:rolleyes:

Oh, and way outshoots my neighbors new Shield. :D

Back