Hi im jack and im a recoil junkie

Detached retina or tendinitis with accompanying body pain. No thanks.

Add chronic neck pain issues to the pile. I have a permanent sore spot in my right shoulder that "wakes up" after shooting heavy recoil guns. I've had to teach myself not to flinch due to recoil. One time I picked up a shortened bolt action 12 ga shotgun for dirt cheap to see how it shot slugs, but it was too light. I literally threw it in the brush after I felt tingling down my right arm. I did retrieve it, but I promptly traded it off. The tingling lasted for days.

My wife insisted on getting a cheap little break barrel shotgun to grouse hunt with it and I agreed thinking a 20 gauge would b plenty and a .410 would have even been better, she is on the stubborn side and insisted on a 12 gauge, she bought an H&R topper model 098 with modified barrel 3" chamber, Its really light weight and no recoild pad, just a hard piece of plastic type stuff, I put a 3" turkey load through it and that was plenty for me! I doubt she will get much use out of it! :eek:

My wife insisted on getting a cheap little break barrel shotgun to grouse hunt with it and I agreed thinking a 20 gauge would b plenty and a .410 would have even been better, she is on the stubborn side and insisted on a 12 gauge, she bought an H&R topper model 098 with modified barrel 3" chamber, Its really light weight and no recoild pad, just a hard piece of plastic type stuff, I put a 3" turkey load through it and that was plenty for me! I doubt she will get much use out of it!

The nice thing about this gun is that you don't HAVE to shoot 3 inch magnum loads through it.
Buy those Winchester AA Lite loads for it, 7/8 ounce shot and 1100 fps, and it becomes that 20 gauge you should have bought.
If you reload, there's even a new powder available just for light loads down to 3/4 ounce which makes it the equal of a 28 gauge.

Couple rounds out of my 4inch SW .500 might fix ya.

You want high recoil, you can beat up 5 joe smoes at once. You wear a mohawk.

Something tells me you drive a lifted truck with no mudflaps?

:D

High recoil?

Several years ago a local gunsmith built--at a customers
request---a 460 Weatherby on a Ruger #3 carbine.

It had 2 mercury recoil reducers in the butt, a Limbsaver
pad, NO muzzle brake, and it weighed maybe 7 lbs.

Full house 460 ammo------I'm not a wuss but one shot
was ENOUGH.:)

There isn't an animal in North America that requires anything more brutal than a .30-06 and frankly not even that.

I read in a real old magazine one time an article and the old codger was explaining that you want to make sure to have enough gun...that you wanted to be sure to shoot something that would have at least 250 Ft Lbs of energy at the animal...better get that 460 if you wanna shoot Elk, lol.

My son took an Elk with a 308/180 with one shot. Well placed mind you, but the Elk didn't go but 50 yards and then gave it up.

i dont want to shoot a heavy kicker all the time but i get a kick out them now and then ;)

i have had a mohawk for 14 years iy suits my head.

im 41 and not in as good of shape as i used to be 2 or 3 smoes are my limit now days

I ride a Dl 1000 V-Strom , trucks are for pulling and hauling stuff not conveyance :D

I go the opposite direction. If it (the rifle) kills on both ends I don't want it. Not fun to shoot. Even if someone is letting one go at a good price I'd probably pass. Gun shops and newspapers (trading posts) around here are filled with them.

the nastiest recoil i have ever had was from a old New England Arms sawed off 12ga. of my grandpaws. the thing had about a 18 inch barrel, a nearly staight stock and wieghed less than 5 lbs.
I put a 3" 00 buck in it and when i pulled the trigger it unhinged my sensess for a few seconds and left me bleeding and holding the forarm in one hand and the stock in the other. the breech lock behind the hammer drove through the webbing beside my thumb wich unlocked the barrel during recoil causing me to snatch the forarm off while stumbling backwards and the barrel ended up on the ground :eek:, After i collected myself i put the gun back together put it back in poppas gun cabinit and never shot it again. that thing is beyond my limits of tolarance :D

Last edited:
I get a kick out of this everytime I think of it, I was in a pawnshop years ago and the ole boy that owned it noticed I was eyeballing a .458 win mag in a ruger no.1, it wasn't the caliber that struck me it was the size of the rifle, that thing was BLOCKY! I've shot several .458s and the recoil was nowhere near my .375 RUM. Anyway the pawnshop owner and I got to bsing about the big guns and recoil, he looked at me over his glasses as they were sitting on the end of his nose and he said, young man you want a rifle that kicks? I got a gun back there in a case that kicks so hard you will forget where you parked your car!! :eek: I laughed til I about peed myself!

young man you want a rifle that kicks? I got a gun back there in a case that kicks so hard you will forget where you parked your car!! I laughed til I about peed myself!

I shot a Siamese Mauser that was like that. Only gun I ever shot that brought tears to my eyes.

I have an 8 gauge muzzleloader and I was letting my brother shoot it. I usually load it with 12 gauge equivilent loads, 1 1/4 ounces of shot or so but he wanted the full 8 gauge experience so I put in 1/8 pound of shot (2 ounces) and the same volume of FFg powder just for him. It drew blood, I think it drove his knuckle into his lip or something or maybe the trigger guard hit his finger. That was enough to satisfy his curiosity.

I have a single shot 12 gauge with a 3" chamber. I bought one box of magnums and eventually shot them. I would get trigger guard bruises on my trigger finger from the recoil.
I shot a friend's Winchester model 70 in .458 Magnum and I don't think it was as as bad as that single shot 12 shooting 3" magnums.

i dont want to shoot a heavy kicker all the time but i get a kick out them now and then

i have had a mohawk for 14 years iy suits my head.

im 41 and not in as good of shape as i used to be 2 or 3 smoes are my limit now days

I ride a Dl 1000 V-Strom , trucks are for pulling and hauling stuff not conveyance

Well then, I've got a .300 RUM with no break or shoulder pad for you try out:eek:

Here is a 4 bore rifle I made being fired with a light load (No...I am NOT kidding)
The service charge is 475 grains. This man is firing 350 grains.

I am also the 1st man (that I know of) that has made a 2 bore rifle in the last 150 years. I would not fire it however. The owner has fired it (with light loads) The recoil is enough to move him back a LOT and he’s over 300 pounds.

Too much of a good thing for me. I’ll make them, but over an 8 bore I do not zero them in. That’s for the customer to do.
My old apprentice Colin is making a full time living making big bore black power rifles these days. Both muzzle loading and breach loading.

Last edited:
My old apprentice Colin is making a full time living making big bore black power rifles these days. Both muzzle loading and breach loading.

I know Colin has made a left hand and a right hand two bore. He does very nice work. He has his own section on my forum and posts videos of his builds there.

Im not a junkie, but I do have a few of the thumpers. My favorite hunting rifle is a 300WM. But I do own a 30-378, 338-378, and a 378. The 378 is for bear hunting. My biggest thumper is a McMillan 50BMG, but that is heavily braked.
I also have a lot of smaller stuff.

I am also the 1st man (that I know of) that has made a 2 bore rifle in the last 150 years. I would not fire it however. The owner has fired it (with light loads) The recoil is enough to move him back a LOT and he’s over 300 pounds.

Looking at the pictures, it looks like you could use a 12 gauge for a ramrod.

Back