Hi im jack and im a recoil junkie

mongoslow

I have always liked pulling the trigger on the big boys and feeling that thump in the shoulder while watching my target blow apart.
12ga., 10ga., .338 win-mag., .416 rigby, .45-70, .458 win-mag., they have all brought a smile to my face. There are 2 more i want to drop the hammer on that just make me drool a .460 weatherby and any bolt action .50 BMG, so if you have one that needs shot let me know i will pay for the ammo :D.
It would also be awesome to get a crack at one of the big double Nitro Express guns , "i will be your friend forever"
So anybody else share my affliction :rolleyes:

You know, come to think of it I always smile when I touch off a heavy load. I too plan on shooting or owning a 50bmg at some point in my life. Those Sig 50s look so nice but theres no way I can afford to shoot it on a regular basis

i had an m88 tracked recovery vehicle ( tank wrecker ) while i was in the army, the M2 Browning (maw deuce) was mounted on it for a weapon so i had to qualify with it a couple times a year. loved shooting that big rocking beast :D
i cant afford the big boys either but i like it when sombody offers to let me shoot one and i always try to pay for the ammo i shoot

When I was young I liked recoil. Now that I am older I enjoy shooting less recoiling guns. That said I am not afraid to shoot my 458 Lott if the need arises. It has taken more than a few African game in its time.

Over the past few years my son has gotten me in to shooting with suppressors. Not only do they knock down the noise but they reduce recoil a lot as well. It make those magnum rifle rounds more comfortable to shoot.

another good thumper is 300 weatherby mag, probably not as bad as a 460 weatherby but I still detest it. I did finally find a hunting load I can cope with however, speer deep curls loaded to 300 win mag velocities. now it's little more noticeable than my vintage military bolt guns with metal butt plates.

The 460 is not bad. WBY has good brake on them and they are heavy.
The worst thing I have ever shot was a rem 700 light weight .300 win mag.

Last edited:
I can shoot my .300 Win Mag all day off the bench. Got a chance to shoot a .375 H&H (Ruger #1) and that didn't kick any worse then my .300. I don't even think about recoil unless I don't get the rifle craddled right in my shoulder. Then it hurts.

But if I bought a new "kicker" I think I'd have a brake put on it. Makes so much sense.

I don't mind the the heavy thud of 45/70's or other large calibers like that but a 300 win mag is about as snappy as I can enjoy shooting. I can and have shot more powerful rounds to see what it was like just didn't enjoy it as much as my small calibers. One powerful round I did enjoy immensely was a 500 nitro express. A doctor I used to work with owned one and let me take a few shots. It was a beast to shoot but there was something about that double gun that made me grin from ear to ear.

Try a .585 Nyati or a .500 A square. I owned a .375 remington ultra mag that was BRUTAL IMO and I've never been a recoil sensitive guy, that .375 RUM was impressive, it would shoot sub moa but I did it in a lead sled with 50 pounds of lead, I wanted the darn thing in the worst way and had no true use for it what so ever, just wanted it! I wanted it in the remington model 700 with 26" barrel, they quit making it in the 26" and went with a 24" I started searching on gun broker and finally found an original new in the box stainless synthetic 26" barrel and the guy had 300 brand new brass that went with it, I bought it for 700.00 shipped to my FFL, I shot several hundred rounds through the gun and can honestly say I had fun with it and it really shot good if you could handle and hang on to it! I let a military guy shoot it and I fully warned him that it kicked hard and darn hard! He gave me the I've shot everything and I understand a hard kicking gun, being a military guy I didn't doubt him but told him I WARNED YA, he let er rip and the scope tattood his forehead, he turned around with blood trickling down his forehead and said a few choice words with WOW that thing kicks! That rifle accounted for a few of them tattoos from guys that wanted to shoot it not fully understanding just how rough I had explained it was. I shot 260 grain bullets in it with 99.0 grains of H-4831, I bought a nice soft recoild pad for it made by limbsaver and it helped a lot but was stil brutal, when I replaced the stock recoil pad I noticed the composite cross member in the pad was broke, I'm sure that must have been from the leadsled, actually it wasn't a genuine sled it was a shooters ridge I believe with a strap across the back and would hold 50 pounds of lead. The novelty finally wore off with the big gun and I sold it.

Shooting high recoil guns is/was fun. But the damage done to your joints is cumulative. That's why I said "was" because it hurts too much now. Contributes to arthritis also. :(

Marlin Guide Gun in 444. The porting helped but it still hurt my shoulder.

Shot a ported 45/70 GG once. Recoil was ok but the increased muzzle blast was very discouraging, Didn't like it.

Many people feel as if they have to shoot full tilt loads and that's not very fun. Being a handloader is great in that one can load reasonable loads which are very effective for all general purposes, yet don't beat you up.

They can't tell on the firing line if you are shooting starting loads, all they can see is the big gun. I enjoy shooting big bore rifles and pistols but am not a masochist or egocentric. Sane practical loads in such arms are the cat's meow.

<(The 460 WHTBY isn't bad...)>
Masochist! LOL. :D

I don't understand the fascination with recoil. Seems delusional.

Recoil sucks. Guns that don't hurt are much more fun. Less recoil is better. You can shoot more and almost everyone shoots more accurately with less recoil. You can practice more, with less pain and become a better shooter. There isn't an animal in North America that requires anything more brutal than a .30-06 and frankly not even that.

More shooters have been wrecked by recoil than any other factor. It is the reason that most people flinch and I don't mean "most of the reason", I mean "most people flinch". Most normal, casual shooters develop a flinch from shooting high-recoil guns and it's easy to see. Watch someone "shoot" a 12ga that isn't loaded but they think it is. Usually looks like something electrocutes them. "CLICK!"

Recoil does physical damage, over time. It damages joints and can detach retinas.

I'm not impressed by recoil and I don't believe, deep down, that virtually anyone else is either.

I like recoil up to a point but I'm not recoil sensitive. To me a hot loaded 30-06 doesn't have much kick to it. I can shoot one with a steel butt plate all day long. A 450 Marlin, yeah I'll take the pad.

Detached retina or tendinitis with accompanying body pain. No thanks.

Three shots from a .454 Casull convinced me it was too much gun for my wrists. I don't want to end up like Mel Tappan who enjoyed big bores but paid for it when he was crippled by years of it.

Back