Hey all you old guys... shooting 200 - 500 yards...

I look for used Leupold gold ring scopes at shows.

and I never pay more than 1/4 of retail price. The ideal thing is $20 for a broken x-hair or fogged lenses, since Leupold will fix or replace it for free, forever, no questions asked.

Until you've used a high-end scope you won't know what you're missing. I use a 3.5-22x US Optics scope with their EREK erector system with a MIL / MIL front focal plane, illuminated reticle.

The Schott glass, lens multi-coating, larger tube allowing larger optics and a greater adjustment range gives you a scope that has better image centering, longer eye relief, larger exit pupil for better low light performance.

The FFP reticle means the MIL / MIL scale on the reticle gives the same measurement over the entire zoom range making the scope easier to use for long range shooting. I use the scope on a .308 at ranges up to 1,000 yards. Once you get the crosswind doped, you can hit a target every time you pull the trigger. Accuracy is dependent on how well you can control breathing, and hold the rifle - optics are NEVER the issue.

If you're serious about long range shooting - inexpensive scopes are false economy as you end up using more ammunition trying to hit a target that is not clear, difficult to see, or hard to make ranging corrections with the reticle.

I'd advise buying the best scope you can possibly afford, and if an FFP reticle is available - go for that option.

Leupold (VX-2 & up), Zeiss, Swarvoski, USO, Schmidt & Bender are the premier quality scope makers... Anything else is generally waste of time... Nightforce makes an excellent, rugged optic but in many cases the glass quality for the price is not quite up to what you would get in a similarly priced scope from the makers I listed above...

I refuse to waste my time on anything made in China or the Phillipines... USA, Japan, Germany and Austria for me...

You guys can laugh all you like, but Midway sells a Simmons scope that they call the Whitetail Classic.

The problem I have with most of these is that it looks like your looking through a yellow haze, which is bad.... I had one last less than a box of shells on a 30-06 before it shook apart and lost zero...

A have a friend with 4 or 5 of the Whitetail Classics and when we shoot its absolutely amazing what he cannot see with his 6.5-20x50 Whitetail Classics, that I can see through my one low power VX-2 Leupold....

Last edited:
Any of you guys compared the newer $500.00 ish scopes to the vintage target scopes, Unertl, Weaver, Lyman, Luepold straight powers, 10X, 15X, 20X, 30X, etc...

I'd suspect the quality of the mechanisms ( reads repeatability ) would be better on the vintage scopes, & maybe the actual glass quality, but suspect the glass coatings are better on the new scopes... & of course you wont find a mil dot reticle on a vintage target scope...

I guess my limited exprience with the 2 Unertl's I own ( a 15X & 20X ) is the visability is as good as the modern mid priced scopes... I like the fine target cross hairs on the vintage scopes & the variable power of the newer scopes

I recently got some good information on the latest options in cataract surgery. Whaddya say - is it proper for this thread, or just start a new one? If new, where?

Magnum Wheel Man I have shot a lot of rifles with scopes ranging from cheap total garbage up to way more than I could dream of affording. The best for the buck that I have used are on my two favorite shooters. BSA 6-24 x 42 Mil Dot IR . With 1/8 inch adjustments. At 100 yards I do not need a spotting scope at all. As far as distance. Well 4 coyotes dropped at 425 yards in a few seconds with no trouble seeing them at all. I saw the hits on all 4. I have shot 1 gal jugs of water out to 500 yards with no trouble seeing them. At $149 plus tax it is a great scope for the money. I was just gonna use it till I had the funds for a more pricey model. It worked well enough that I decided to keep it on the rifle. Also Mrs. M&P bought me one for XMas 2 years ago to go on my Savage FSSV It has held zero for over 15K rounds.

I would recommend seeing an eye doctor for a vision check before spending money on another scope. I get mine checked yearly. New glasses can a world of difference.

Back