Herters J9

If it says "made in Belgium", then most likely it was made on the FN action, produced in Liege, Belgium. The marking are (likely) European proof marks.

A clear pic or two would be a big help.

I ordered a Herters J9 through the mail prior to the 1968 gun control act. Picked it up at the FFL on my bike. The barrel was marked made in Yugoslavia. Mine was a 30.06 and was the middle grade. It had a williams adjustable rear sight but the fron was a ramp with a rod type post with a ball on top. It was a great rifle with a very deep rich bluing. I later traded it on a Mdel 70 when I got older. I believe it cast me $105.00 shipped.

The U9s were made by BSA.

Bill
StL Mo

Ejector spring

Hey guys, my J9 .22-250 won't eject shells as it should. I am thinking it needs a new ejector spring but have had no luck in finding one. Anyone have or had the same issue and found a solution for this?

I don't recall one from the other but I believe one was a Mauser style and the other was a BSA. I really miss Herter's! The VSA was recognizable at the back of the bolt. It wqs not a mauser action.

Last edited:
The Herter's J9 was a commercial Mauser 98 action. The more expensive U9 was a more modern and more expensive model, I think on a BSA action. I had a U9 in 6MM Remington.

I don't recall one from the other but I believe one was a Mauser style and the other was a BSA. I really miss Herter's! The VSA was recognizable at the back of the bolt. It wqs not a mauser action.

IIRC, the J9 was based on the Zastava Mauser action made in Yugoslavia (now Serbia). The U9 was based on the BSA Monarch, made in England.

"Hey guys, my J9 .22-250 won't eject shells as it should. I am thinking it needs a new ejector spring but have had no luck in finding one. Anyone have or had the same issue and found a solution for this?

The J9 is just your everyday basic M98 Mauser type so IIRC, replacing the bolt stop/ejector shouldn't be much of a problem. Just one screw and it comes out, probably can just drop in the replacement and be good to go. Worked for me a few times when I worked for a gunsmith until he passed many years ago. (Mid 1970's)

Paul B.

Back