Herters J9

nate45

I recently picked up a Herters J9 in .300 Win Magnum. It's a very accurate and nice looking rifle.

Anyone else have a J9 and knowledge about the?

I going stictly from memory here, so bear with me...

Herters sold two actions, the J9 and the U9. If I remember right, both were mauser style actions. Again, memory fails, but one was either long and the other short, or one was for magnum calibers and the other standard calibers. Sorry I can't clearly remember which was which. I was getting ready to buy one in .458 Win in 1976, but got shipped overseas before I had all the money saved.

Herters didn't make the actions, they were made, I believe, in Europe. Maybe by FN, but I can't say for sure.

Herters always advertised all the stuff they sold as the "best" of this or that, and some of it was pretty good. Some of it was not so good. Never heard anything particularly bad about their rifles. Nor anything especially good either. They sold complete rifle, barreled action and bare actions, and they were made at least well enough that nobody said they were junk. Finish quality may not have been top of the line, but then, neither was the price.

I still have a set of Herters reloading dies that I use to load 6.5x55mm Swede, and they work fine, all these years later.

I just realized, you may not know who Herter's was. They were a mail order company, based out of WI, I think. They had a few (3?) retail outlets around the country. In 1976, one of them was in Olympia WA. If it was anything to do with hunting, fishing or camping, they sold it. Most of their stuff was their own proprietary brand name (made for them) and some of their stuff was actually their own design. They even had a single action revolver of their own design and caliber (.401 Herters Powermag). Before 1968 their catalogue was 3-4 inches thick It rivaled Sears or Montgomery Wards, and it was all outdoor sports stuff. By 1976, it was only about an inch thick. By the 1980s, they were gone. The loss of mail order gun and ammo sales in 1968 dealt them a blow from which they never recovered.

My father had a rifle custom made for him using a Herters U-9 action. As the above post mentioned, mine was made in Europe, England to be specific. Mine was made by BNP which was at the time one of the leading firearm makers in England. Think the English version of Remington.

Anyway, the rifle, chambered in .308 is incredibly accurate and is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. I've had numerous offers to buy it from people who've shot it and seen it in action. The blueing is deep and rich and the custom made walnut stock is beatiful.

Hopefully yours performs the way my father's does.

BNP isn't a brand, it's a proofing house, Birmingham Nitro Proof.

If it was proofed in England and it is a Mauser action it could have been manufactured by FN in Belgium, but also Santa Barbara in Spain. Santa Barbara provided the actions for Parker Hale, another fine old British rifle maker.

Jimro

The j9 was built on a commercial Yugo Mauser action. Some times a little rough but a very sound and accurate rifle.

gary

BNP isn't a brand, it's a proofing house, Birmingham Nitro Proof.

If it was proofed in England and it is a Mauser action it could have been manufactured by FN in Belgium, but also Santa Barbara in Spain. Santa Barbara provided the actions for Parker Hale, another fine old British rifle maker.

Interesting. The only markings on it are "BNP" and "Made In England" but it seems like some where in my research I found it was made by BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company). I forgot about the whole BNP proof mark.

Herters sold Parker-Hale rifles under their name. There were 2 primary rifles sold (U9 and J9) that corresponded to the Parker-Hale commercial M98 Mauser action and the later Parker-Hale 3000, a push-feed action. Both were made by Birmingham Small Arms (BSA) in England. They were pretty good rifles, about average accuracy-wise for the time. Later on in the late 1960s-1970s, Parker-Hale used Santa Barbara actions in their rifles.

Herters always claimed their stuff was the finest or best, but it was usually just rebranded goods available just about anywhere else under a different brand. A few of their items were made speciically for them or to their specs.

I found an old Herters catalogue I had

100_0223.jpg

Heres the J9 page
100_0224.jpg

Herrs my new .300 Win Mag J9
100_0227.jpg

100_0233.jpg

I don't know that it's the 'best' :), but it is a nice accrate rifle.

BSA rifles

Anyone have a pick of a Thumbhole model? The BSA line of guns don't seem to be bringing a jackpot $$$ at the auction sites. How do they shoot?

Herters 300 win mag

I've receintly come to own a Herter's XJ3 in 300 win mag, am looking for a set of herter's dies and scope rings. Now wondering if the Herter's dies require a Herter's press or will they work on other presses? Also, from what I am finding on the internet, it was probably made in the late '50s. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Orentruitt

Herters Dies

Herters dies used the standard thread and diameter as other reloading dies. They will work in any press that accepts current/standard dies.

Herters sold tons of stull

Including many different reloading presses and die sets. Some of them did use the industry standard 7/8x14 thread. I have a set of Herters dies I still use, in 6.5x55mm Swede.

Some Herters stuff would only fit Herters stuff, but some of it matched industry standard. Good Luck finding your dies, Herters has been gone a long time.

Herter's J9

I have a Herter's J9 30-06 that I bought 50 years ago.... as a result of losing my Springfield 03A3 in a river when my boat dumped while crossing a river after shooting an bull elk.

For me this gun is accurate... or maybe it is me... ha

The only thing I changed on upon receiving this rifle was to sand down the
stock because it was too shiny in the sun... My father told me he could find
me anywhere I went because the stock glistened in the sun...

I immediately took it home and sanded down the stock and put linseed oil
and turpentine to dull the stock...

Is this rifle still available on the market?

Don Best

Is this rifle still available on the market?

Except for used, no.
Herter's of Waseca, MN went out of business in the late 1970's. The remnants of the company, it's product line, and trademark, were purchased by Cabelas. They still use the name in some of their clothing line.
I have quite a stock of Herter's equipment, and most of it is of VERY good quality. I still have two of their fishing boats at my place up in Canada from the early 70's, and they are incredible. I have a lot of fishing equipment, tackle boxes, etc. purchased from them by myself and grandfather. I have a Herter's 4x12x40 scope on my 882 22wmr. Quite a bit of Herter's items can be found on eBay, and are quite popular with collectors.
Jim

Herter's J9

Thanks, Jim...

Some of the previous posts say that this rifle was made in England and
Belgium?..... I just looked again at my J9 and it has a round symbol
and then the name "Yugoslavia" .... any comment on that?

My J9 shoots just fine after 45-50 deer, 6 elk and a couple 3 bears...

I have a Busnell "Scopechief" 2.5 x 8 scope that has a post and cross-
hairs that I can rotate the post out ... but I love that post for shooting
in shadows and in the rain and brush here on the Oregon Coast... It's
pretty hard to find the crosshairs in the rain/fog but that post is just
the ticket.

I shoot 180 grain Remington Core-lock round tip because I found out
with 150 grain that the lead comes away from the jacket and ruins to
much meat.... the 180 grain enters in at 30cal and comes out about 75
cal....
I usually sight it in for 3" high at 100 yards.... then it is dead-on at 186 yds.

The bullet crosses the line of sight at 28 yards... then 3" high at 100...
but at 225 yards it shoots 12 inches low... it drops off pretty fast after that.

Most of the game I've shot has been within 60 yards but I've even dropped
a deer running at 250 yards... and even one at 450 yards... with one shot.

Don't know how I managed to pull that off...ha

My son is a Marine Sargent who has been thru Marine sniper school who has
qualified as "Expert" the last to quals... so he inherited a good eye.. ha

Thanks again, for your response

Don Best

Used Herters J9 action/barreled action or Zastava action

I am looking to buy a used J9 Herters action or barreled action. And/or, a Model 70 pre 64 action or an FN Mauser action. Anyone?

this is my "Herters" rifle... this is an Interarms model X in .270, marked for import through Herters, & wears a Herters 4 - 12X scope... sorry I'm not as Herters savey as you guys... might be a completely different action ???

attachment.php

At least this isn't multi-year necromancy or anything...

The Herters J9 was built on a Yugo action made by Zastava. Same action as the Interarms MarkX, Charles Daly Mauser, and Remington 798.

There are rumors of some J9's that were made on German actions like the U9's, but I have never seen one.

Jimro

Rumors of J9's with German Actions

Jimro; in 2006 you posted: "There are rumors of some J9's that were made on German actions like the U9's, but I have never seen one."

I have, what I believe, is a Herter's J9 30-06 made in Germany. How can I determine exactly what action it really has?

On the barrel it has "Made in Belgium" and on the oposit side it states "Chrome Vandium Steel".

The symbols rolling down the barrel just under the Weaver Scope are as follows:

X (with a star above it)
R (with a crown above it)
P.V (under a symbol)
ELG (with a star under and a crown above)

Perhaps someone can assist with explaining these symbols as well as helping me determine exactly what type of action this rifle has.

Thank you kindly.

Back