Heritage carbine vs 16" handgun

I never saw this thread before now.
I could have shut down some of the Fuddery and non-sense about "illegal NFA item", as well as helped you out with your question.

The frames on Rough Riders are interchangeable.
I bought a Rough Rider 16" specifically so that I could go back and forth from handgun to carbine. You can't do it (legally) if you start with the Rancher carbine.

Yeah.. I have a TC contender with assorted rifle and pistol barrels, stocks and grips.. basically just bought a pistol frame and grip, then built up from there..
Now my issue is which 16" RR to use.. back when i got them, I got 2. The plan was to cut one down to 12". Before I got around to that, heritage came out with a 12" RR (only in that ugly fake case hardened, but whatever).. so I switched to the carbine.. I got one of each model 16", the iron sights and the fibre sights.. which would you use for the carbine?

The Heritage manuals are wrong? It clearly shows the carbine has a different gripe area on the frame. Color me wrong. But then so is the Heritage manual on their website. Page 30 of the Carbine: https://heritagemfg.com/Heritage_RancherManual.pdf
Do you even know what a grip frame consists of? You remove the grips, backstrap and trigger guard and replace them with the carbine equivalent. They bolt right on in place of the pistol parts.

Ok.. if you remove the wood on the pistol, you are left with this (still attached to the frame though) this is the backstrap assembly..
Heritage_302-0002-00-Z.jpg

so you unbolt that from the frame, and replace it with this backstrap for the carbine..
Heritage_355-0001-00-B.jpg

and slide on the shoulder stock.. the birdshead style grip works the same way..

Good to know. Looking at the manual, it looks like that rectangle at the back of the carbine frame (yes they are different, with different Heritage part numbers) that goes into the carbine stock would be impossibly sticking out of a pistol grip.

Cool.

I was gifted a 16” Rough Rider, and the rifle stock.

It’s kinda neat to have the ability to change between pistol and rifle as you desire. But, it’s not like it’s a clip on Hipower stock. There are 3 screws in the grip frame, and the screw for the grips, and the screw holding the stock the to rifle grip frame………and they are kinda cheap. I wouldn’t want to be removing/reinstalling them too often.

And, while it’s kinda neat to have the old timey revolving rifle I used to see in westerns growing up, it’s a bit awkward to actually hold and shoot. 30+ years of muscle memory tells me to put my support hand under the barrel, it’s takes a conscious effort to bring that hand back to the little nub on the trigger guard to avoid some nice burns to the forearm.

yes.. not to mention that very annoying tiny little spring just under the trigger guard.
I have 5 revolving carbines now. 45 long, 44 mag, 357, this one, and my fav, an Alpha-Proj hunter in .22lr.. all except the last are designed with no forestock.. the Alpha has this little deflector on the left side around the cyclider gap.. it works for crap, but it was an attempt.

If handgun has 16” barrel it’s legal to have stock if resultant gun is 26”. The stock can be detachable. The way laws are written you can’t cut down a rifle into pistol without going through some manufacturing permits. When barrel is shorter than 16” you better be sure what the law is.

Just in case anyone is still interested.. I got the new backstrap and a basic wood stock.. and YES, the carbine backstrap is interchangeable with the pistol grip backstrap. If I could figure out how to post a pic here, i would do so.
this does raise the issue of putting this on one of the other hm revolvers.. instantly making an illegal SBR... so don't do that. but the 16 pistol has a 16.3 inch barrel.. all legal. And since this was born a pistol, can switch back and forth whenever I want.
don't pull the shoulder stock off one originally 'born' as a carbine and replace with a pistol grip, though.
Now, I need to figure out if the 'barkeep' backstrap is interchangeable with the roughriders.. I want one of the new 1 inch barrel barkeep boots.. but of course, to short for california roster single-action exemption . I can modify one after I legally get it though. So I think I will get a 3 inch barkeep, replace the grip and backstrap with a birdshead and backstrap, and cut the barrel down to 1 inch. Don't even have to worry about the front sight, as the boot doesn't have one.
Yes, they sell the Bird Head Grip and it will fit your Rough Rider.

And no, there is NOTHING illegal about putting the Stock Kit on the 16" barrel Revolver.

IF you want to see the process of putting the Birds Head Grip on a standard Revolver, we did a Video on Gun Stock Reviews on YouTube and Rumble

If handgun has 16” barrel it’s legal to have stock if resultant gun is 26”. The stock can be detachable. The way laws are written you can’t cut down a rifle into pistol without going through some manufacturing permits. When barrel is shorter than 16” you better be sure what the law is.
I think I'm just converting the Revolver and leaving it as a Carbine, not going back and forth.

IF you want to see the process of putting the Birds Head Grip on a standard Revolver, we did a Video on Gun Stock Reviews on YouTube and Rumble
Isn't complicated or difficult at all. Same as any other frame change on a Rough Rider.

The hardest part is reading the line of red text on the Heritage website that says you have to order the longer grip screw separately, and then clicking the provided link. (Because the "replacement" birds head frame is wider than the factory frame.)

Isn't complicated or difficult at all. Same as any other frame change on a Rough Rider.

The hardest part is reading the line of red text on the Heritage website that says you have to order the longer grip screw separately, and then clicking the provided link. (Because the "replacement" birds head frame is wider than the factory frame.)
When we got the Grips, they sent us longer Grip Screws, but that was some time ago and it was for Videos, they probably suppled them for us.

Back