Here's an odd question

[The lettuce recall/do not eat for the Romaine lettuce could be caused from treated waste water used to irrigate the fields it was grown in.

Not possible. Not just because waste water is not allowed for crop watering. E. Coli 157 is the bacteria that caused the recall. E. Coli 157 is found in ruminants, deer, cattle and the like The recall was probably from deer feces that we're on the lettuce and made it into the processing plant. Got smeared into the mix. _ _it happens.:rolleyes:

If it were a human waste issue it would have been something along the lines of hepatitis.

Ugh, I had several dogs that ate deer poop like it was free forest raisins. I never knew it carried e coli, but it makes sense. I worked in food service for over a decade, I had e coli once. It was brutal, I'm pretty sure I got it from processing raw cantaloupe.

Wash your produce well, it's as dangerous as raw meat.

I didn't catch whether that was sanitary or storm, I presume sanitary.

The good treatment plants remove most of the bacteria before releasing the water, and in the wash fields that lots of plants have, that bacteria breaks down. Quail don't drink that much water, not enough to make the whole bird poisonous just by long term consumption of slightly contaminated water.

You wouldn't eat the junk that a hog would eat, would you? but you'd eat the wild hog that had lived on toadstools, acorns, and even carrion, right?

A vet passed something on to me once. Animals have evolved living on dead stuff. Unsanitary, spoiled, fly infested garbage, and they still live that way. He said that two things help. The animals have much stronger digestive powers, and they have much shorter digestive duration. It's harder to get a roaring culture of some bacteria when the stuff is blown out of your colon in a few hours.

It's literally impossible to answer your question without knowing all of the facts. If you want to know the correct answer call the water treatment plant and ask whether birds or other wildlife have access to toxic water, and if there is plenty of non-toxic water available nearby.

Here's another tip. Go up to that lake and look for the frogs, minnows, turtles, etc... if a bullfrog can live in it, it should be safe.

a lot of the food poisonings that occur in farmed goods are because of animals. There have been outbreaks caused by raw cider in the past, and now many states don't allow raw cider to be sold. If it isn't going to be pasteurized, the apples have to be hand picked. Any windfalls are going to possibly land in feces, no matter what orchard they are harvested from. Skunk, deer, possum, squirrel or rabbit, so many varmints go through open fruit orchards. Leaving a wet, bruised apple on a deer poopie will contaminate a batch and if someone is truly susceptible, a couple of contaminated apples can taint a fifty gallon squeezing strongly enough to introduce a sufficient number of bacteria.

Back