Here's a twist..

why aren't you wearing a vest?
It makes even more sense than wearing a gun. It's legal everywhere, sets off no metal detectors, requires no skill or training, is no risk/threat to anyone involved, and is more likely to save your life, actually, considering how poor most people's skills and choices of guns and ammo actually are.

To each their own of course, but that is insane, IHMO. Walking around in your daily life wearing a bullet proof vest??

spockorly.gif

;)

You should be intimately familiar with how the house responds to your arrival. If the dog doesn't come to greet you, could he be locked in a closet or perhaps he was slain by the intruder? Lights on or off? things out of place? unidentified vehicle in the driveway or in front of your home? no power in home---electric meter pulled out? unidentified voices. blood stains, spills, etc.

Always helps to watch for signs that all may not be well. I make it a habit to call the fiancee on my way home, if she doesn't answer, I don't necessarily freak out - she might just be in the shower or cooking me dinner:)

But if I get home and the doors are unlocked or anything looks amiss or the dog is behaving oddly or fiancee doesn't answer when I call out a greeting - I would start to think something was up.

We could walk in on a burglary in progress or worse, an intruder may be holding a family member hostage.

Burglary in progress I can deal with (at least I am confident that I could), making a clean (head?) shot with a BG holding a loved one as a human shield...I'd like to say I could make that shot...

That is insane

How is it a sound, rational, and prudent decision to carry a firearm, but insane to wear a protective jacket or vest?

All the things that would factor into a decision to arm oneself factor likewise into using bullet and knife resistant clothing to protect oneself.

Worried about being mugged? About being car jacked? About being in a store when a robbery begins? Any reason to carry a gun also translates into a reason to wear protective clothing.

And again, there are different levels, it is not an all or nothing condition. Wearing protective clothing doesn't mean that you have to walk around looking like a member of a SWAT team 24x7.

It depends on how you think about it, or how it's done. Strapping on a LEVEL III bullet proof vest every morning as you get dressed is one thing, donning a light LEVEL IIA jacket in the fall or winter when you walk your dog or run errands is another thing.

One of the things about protective clothing is that it does it's job whether you are caught by surprise or not. Unlike a weapon, you employ it when you put it on.

If you walk into your house with a bag of groceries and a surprised burglar shoots you in the chest, well... the vest was working even if your situational awareness wasn't.

How is it a sound, rational, and prudent decision to carry a firearm, but insane to wear a protective jacket or vest?

I don't think it is, however, a light, stylish IIA jacket runs a few thousand bucks last I checked. Not really in most people's price range.

Aside from the Vest comments..

A lot of people are prepared to defend their homes from invaders while they are in their homes, but how many people are prepared - mentally and otherwise to confront invaders when they return home, after being out of the house?

If I were returning home and noticed evidence of a forced entry, then I'd return to my car and call the police.

If I returned home and there wasn't any sign of forced entry (e.g. They came in through the back/side window/no strange cars parked out front etc.), then I'll find out how I'll react and get back to you. :p

No one can really understand how they'll react in a situation that they haven't yet experienced by simply saying "what if...then I'll do this." You have to be put into that particular situation.
Interesting post C0untZer0.

Packr, you're saying your first and only response to fear is a weapon?

What if the thing that scares you is the gunshot that hits your midsection?

Back