Henry Big Boy Brass Wear?

'88Scrat

Took my Big Boy to the range the other day and when I was cleaning I noticed that there are little black smudges in the brass receiver. I've only had it for a little over a year so it seems unlikely it would be corrosion I would think. Whatever it is it doesn't wipe off. Hate to see such a beautiful finish get tarnished.

Any advice?

a>ex

a>

a>

Sarcasm makes the world go round...

Last edited:
Do you keep it in a sock?

Your rifle is beautiful. That is just tarnish. I think if you gently, gently, gently use a very soft cotton cloth and the mildest metal polish meant for brass that will come right off. But it will eventually tarnish again unless waxed.

3C

IIRC some cadets decided they could reduce the effort of polishing uniform brass by spraying it with clear urethane. Sarge noticed it right away due to the slightly "cloudy" look vs glistening sheen of polished brass. Guilty cadets got to do a lot of floor polishing in penance.

I would try some Flitz or any other brass cleaner you can find. I'd have thought it would be coated but it appears not to be.

Last edited:
Brass is an alloy of zinc and copper, an alloy that will be attacked by any chemical that attacks either component. You can polish it but until you get that chemical (whatever it is) out of your cleaning kit , the problem will get worse.

Jim

I used to have the sock that came with it but it has since been misplaced.

Ok, I've never polished brass before. Advice? Otherwise I'll consult the almighty Youtube.

The receiver on your Henry I am pretty sure is just brass plated. Therefore a gentle polish using a non-aggressive agent (Flitz) is all you need. The idea being not to grind away the thin brass plated layer.

3C

No- the Big Boy is NOT brass plated.

It's a different composition than other brass alloys, but it's solid all the way through, it will tarnish (AKA develop a patina), it should not be expected to stay bright forever without polishing, and it certainly CAN be polished.

Try Brasso if you need it to be shiny.
Denis

Both zinc and copper corrode from sulfur and the sulfides thus formed are black. They can be polished off. :rolleyes:

Yep like the others said polishing with Flitz or Brasso will have the Henry looking brand new again. I think it even mentions in my Henry manual they recommend Flitz - I'll have to look later.

Before you do anything, Email Henry's president with these pics.
That firm bends over backwards for it's customers.

Any special brass polish should work. You have something brass use the right stuff to clean and or polish and you are golden!

Henry sells a polish made especially for the big boy and golden boy rifles. I dont think any of the others mentioned would hurt it but I would use what is recommended by Henry.

Back