Henry 45-70 Brass Big Boy--first impressions

I'm considering getting a tang or skinner peep, though previous expeditions down that road didn't work out for me due to my preference for shorter barrel lever guns--they generally are far easier and handier for me to bring to bare freehand. The 22" barrel on this one gives me just enough distance to make out the front iron.

I have a Marlin Trapper 1895 SBL. The sights (peep) on it were really close to being on the money. I put a Vortex Viper HD 2.5-10x42mm on it and it is the cat's meow on a lever gun. 4" of eye relief and very fast target acquisition. My rifle has a Picatinny rail on it from the factory so I put a Leupold cantilever mount on it like most AR's use. I tried other rings but didn't like them. The nice thing about the Leupold mount is that I can take the scope off and put it back on without having to re-zero the rifle.

Also, mine loves the Remington 405g CoreLokt ammunition and it's easy on the shoulder.

The nice thing about the Leupold mount is that I can take the scope off and put it back on without having to re-zero the rifle.
Thanks for that--I have quite a few scopes that use the Leupold mounts. All my other lever guns I had to "give up hope" of using irons on due to my poor sight and the short barrel length--but the 22" barrel on the big boy gives me a glimmer of "glory days hope" that I may be able to use them. Nothing wrong with a scope on a lever--but nothing more aesthetic than a lever without them IMO. :D

I've left the buckhorn sight on my Henry 45/70 too, and I'm (almost) sure it will stay that way. I put a Skinner on the Marlin 45/70. Went from a Skinner to a scope on the Marlin 30-30, and then to a RPP clover leaf sight, to try one of them. The Skinners and the RPPs are great. The Henry does well (enough) with the stock buckhorn, which is made a bit more stout, than the Marlins. Never did plan to leave the scope on the Marlin 30-30 SS, as I like the wood & metal looks without. Would have to get a Trappers type for a scope.

I'm currently looking for a rear long range ladder type set-up--but can't seem to find one that has both windage and elevation adjustments and will go on the rear dovetail. A tang sight--I don't know how well that would work since the tang has only one screw hole.

stagpanther said:
I'm considering getting a tang or skinner peep,

I have the Skinner rear brass peep. My goal was to get a 100 yd zero, and have the rear peep elevation be able to get me to 200 meters. I could not achieve these distances with the stock front sight (too short). I ended up buying Skinners tallest front sight and just incramentally removing height and testing until I was able to reach all distances. If you are interested PM me and i'll go into detail about how I modded the front sight to work, and how you can adjust the rear Skinner peep for multiple distances.

I have the Skinner rear brass peep. My goal was to get a 100 yd zero, and have the rear peep elevation be able to get me to 200 meters. I could not achieve these distances with the stock front sight (too short). I ended up buying Skinners tallest front sight and just incramentally removing height and testing until I was able to reach all distances. If you are interested PM me and i'll go into detail about how I modded the front sight to work, and how you can adjust the rear Skinner peep for multiple distances.
Thank you very much--I've put skinners on a couple of other lever guns--so I know about raising the front height (around .5 +/- I'm guessing?) I really like the looks of the smith enterprises ladder sight, I just don't like the idea it comes without windage adjustment (other than "drift ping pong")--and I like the idea of lobbing those Hail Marys way past 100 yds. : )

Back