Henry 30-30 inbound

Well, took it to the range yesterday and am really pleased. As I know the factory always puts some proof and other rounds downrange to test function, the first thing I did upon receiving it was to take some Wipeout to the barrel to clean that out. Got a lot of blue and other grunge on the patches, but eventually got a clean barrel. At the range yesterday, only shot 5 rounds as I'm trying to "break in" the barrel somewhat (take a lot of restraint to not crank 20 rounds down range at once!). Will clean again tonight and get it to the range again this weekend for another 5 rounds, then break-in is done.

As my local indoor range is only 25 yds., the first 2 shots were to get the rear sight close. The next three were shot offhand at around 50' and were within 1" of each other. Recoil with an 8.5 lb rifle was nice. Truly more of a shove to the shoulder than "recoil". Shot 150 gr. JFP Federal's at 2390 fps. Action was smooth as expected, and I didn't really notice the trigger weight, so I guess it is in a good range. So far, a very happy camper with my first Henry!

Last edited:
Congrat’s on your new Henry. I have the Henry 30-30 H009 and love this gun. I am really liking the tube feed. Took it deer hunting and was a real pleasure to load and unload. I cleaned my gun tube smooth at the button side with a very fine metal sand paper to a polish smooth angle. No hangups pushing the feed tube in with six round in pipe. My gun holds six in tube one in chamber to head into woods.

Finished my first box of 20 Federal rounds through it yesterday, and am really liking it. Loading through the tube is kind of convenient. No busted thumbs. I'll have to try and see if I too can get six rounds into the tube. Stock sights are good. 8 1/2 lbs weight isn't an issue once you're shooting it. I didn't really think of it. Handles nicely. Recoil is interesting as it truly is just a shove into the shoulder, not a smack. Fun stuff!

Now that I have around 60 empty cases (20 I shot and 40 I've collected in the past year), I need to get some reloading done before next weekend so I can continue the fun.

Stock sights are good.

I've left the stock semi-buckhorn sights on my H10 45-70. I have the Skinner & Ranger precision sights on my other rifles, but I do like the stock Henry's, and can still see well at my older age.

Love it

Did not mean to imply I didn't like it. Heck it looks excellent.

IMHO some of Turnbull's CCH is a bit "gaudy" but how can one fault their finishes?

My favorites are the LC Smith's tho it's rare to see one that looks original. The CCH takes on a patina all it's own.

The old Hawes I picked up is more subtle, but looks great.

I have read that the old school gunmakers were very secretive of their CCH ingredients and processes. I've seen some Turnbull CCH done on LC Smith guns. It's nice but does not duplicate what the factory did back in the day. Close, but no cigar.

Back