Henry 30-30 inbound

ilmonster

Well, after having fun for over a decade with Marlin lever actions (have an 1894 in .357 and an 1895) and having read about all the Henry goodness (Dpris, you're a bad influence!), I decided to dip my toe in the water and order myself up a Henry! Brownells had the one I was looking at on sale plus a one day coupon which made it too attractive to pass up (wasn't planning on buying one yesterday).

I ordered up a Henry H009CC, the 20" color case hardened 30-30. I really like the color case hardened receiver and the octagonal barrel. I'm not giving up the Marlins, but it will be nice to try a different brand and loading system. Everyone says they are very well screwed together and are beautifully finished. Also like the fact that it's built here in Wisconsin! I'm hoping it arrives by the end of the week, and of course, pictures forthcoming!

Last edited:
You bet! My FFL is near our local Cabelas, so I'll be picking up a box of factory 150gr. RN's and 165 gr gummy tip rounds to try, and also a die set when I pick the rifle up. I currently reload everything except blasting ammo for my AR and AK. As I reload for my 7 lb. 1895 in 45-70, I'm guessing the recoil shouldn't be much more than that (300 gr RNFP's at 1,100 fps), especially as the Henry weighs 8 1/2 lbs. Will probably be reloading 150 or 165 gr. pills at around 2000 fps. to start.

Also, this past spring when I was at the range, I saw a whole bunch of 30-30 shells on the ground and decided to pick them up "in case" I ever wanted to get a 30-30, so I already have 20-30 empty cases! I have no particular need for a 30-30 (will be a range toy), but when has that ever stopped any of us from a purchase.

Last edited:
No, in an 8.5 lb rifle it should be fine. As an aside, I went to my local indoor range yesterday for some 1911, G19, 22/45 and AK-47 fun, and to my surprise there was a gentleman in the lane next to me showing his two grandsons how to shoot his Marlin 336. Happy to see they both did pretty well! When they were done, I approached the gentleman and asked if he reloaded his brass? He said no and that I could have it if I wished, and I "acquired" another 15 pieces of once fired 30-30 brass! Must be a sign...

Those "gummy tip" bullets, as you call them, are the way to go. High B.C. compared to flat or round, and from what I have seen, much better expansion and accuracy.

You will be very pleased with your new Henry, again for the money the Henry's a VERY nicely built and assembled. I'm impressed by the Henry's very nice wood for a factory mass produced gun.

Had the Henry stainless steel all-weather "Big Boy" 44 mag version with 20" bbl for a month or so this past fall.
Really tried but I just couldn't get used to the tube loading and the gun was just too big and heavy.
I was told the Henry was accurate but with several brands of ammo my Taylor Alaskan 92 takedown was more accurate.
Long story short the Chiappa/Taylor Alaskan 92 takedown got to stick around and the Big Boy moved on.
Gave it an honest try.

I have a brass receiver 45-70 Henry with the octagon barrel. Has some nice looking workmanship, and hits the 100 yrd mark well, with it's semi buckhorn sights. I decided to leave the sights as is, because I like them, and still have good eyes for an older guy. Thanks to reloads, I'm able to shoot my two 45/70s often. Far cheaper than $35 to $49 for a box of 20. At least that's what I was thinking as I loaded 60 more yesterday, in three variations. Stocking back up on 30-30s today.

If you hand load for the 30-30 you may want to try H322 and also AC2230. I have had outstanding accuracy from my Marlins shooting 170 grain bullets with those 2 powders.

I am hoping that the rifle arrives at my FFL today or tomorrow. On my way there I'll be stopping by Cabela's to pick up a set of RCBS 30-30 dies, shell holder and hopefully some Hornady 150 gr. RN bullets to begin reloading with. I have CFE223, H4198 and Western TAC powders to begin experimenting with (Wyosmith, thanks for your powder recommendations too). As I calculate it, I should be able to reload a box of 50 30-30 rounds for just north of $20.

As winter has come to Wisconsin, I will probably be just shooting it for fun (not groups) over the next few months at my local indoor range, and save the serious accuracy experiments (using the 160 gr FTX bullets) until it warms up outside come spring. Also, for now I'll be using the iron sights, no optics. We'll see how that goes (works fine on my Marlin 1894C).

Also, any thoughts on barrel "break in"? I know they shoot a proof round and some additional rounds at the factory, so I'll give the barrel a good cleaning with patches and solvent when i get it home. As this isn't a bench rest gun, I was thinking of putting another 5 rounds down the tube after that and cleaning, and then just shoot.

Last edited:
I don't see how it will cost anywhere near $20 a box to reload .30-30.
30cents for flex tip.
3 cents for primer.
11 cents for powder.

44 cents per round x 20=$8.80

That's assuming reloading and not buying new brass. Honestly, if you are going to put $20 a box in reloading, just buy leveroution loaded ammo. They are scary accurate and you won't top their velocity.

Last edited:
I calculated ~ $20 for a box of 50 rounds, not 20 that the factory packages them in. Your math confirms it's about $20 for 50 rounds of reloads ($8.80 x 2.5).

Nice to see you chose the color hardened. The ONLY thing I don't like about the Henry is that awful (IMO) bluing...looks more like cheap black paint to me.

The ONLY thing I don't like about the Henry is that awful (IMO) bluing...looks more like cheap black paint to me.

I don't know if Henry uses different bluing techniques for different models...……..but my H10B 45/70 with it's octagon barrel has a nice deep luster bluing on the barrel. I think it's one of it's impressive points. However, the front loading magazine below the barrel, does look more like what you've described. Totally different from the barrel.

Well, it arrived at my FFL today and I had to go there to pick it up after work...

9a34ce95-52fa-4237-9987-05b49fa9f23f-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

7f4ad040-a14b-419b-80da-eaa97b6f9dba-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

5d2c7aab-9cae-470e-8a26-fe341101aeba-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As I have felt on other Henry's, the action is super smooth to use, and it appears to have a nice trigger. Hope to take it out and put some rounds downrange this weekend!

Last edited:
I love that antique finish on the metal, looks exactly like my Pedersoli 1874 Sharps. My Henry's action was a bit sticky when new. After about 200 rounds it's starting to break in nicely.

MMM

Love that CCH. I have two that are CCH. My 1916 LC Smith single barrel trap, and I just picked up a super nice Hawes Federal Marshal .357 SA wheel gun.

I have always been fond of CCH, sometimes it gets a little "gaudy" but that just indicates it needs to be used and carried more.

Actually, I was glad to see a more "gaudy" CCH on the receiver when I picked it up. I've seen some where the CCH wasn't all that "interesting", and was happy that kind of looks like old school CCH. Also came attached to some decent looking lumber. Yes, it costs more than my Marlins, but so far (not having shot it yet), I'm super happy with the money spent!!

Also, don't get the Marlin vs. Henry (or other brands) venom. I have two Marlins that I'm also very happy with (not getting rid of anytime soon), and the Henry is just something different - what do the British say...horses for courses...

Back