Henry 30-30 Ammo Problem

I bought some Serbian Monarch 30-30 at Academy because they were out of Federal. Never again!
They wouldnt feed right or extract right. I was worried i was tearing up my Marlin.
Fortunately I had some Feds on hand and they still worked.

TurkeyOak-
If you have the time, it might benefit a lot of shooters in the long run if you drop a line to those folks. It maight be starting to appear they don't unnerstand the .30-30 as well as they think they do.

PPU Ammo

I guess I just don't know what PPU ammo is or where it comes from. I have no interest in obtaining it or trying it. I have and use a couple popular brands of 30-30 ammo as mentioned (Remington & Winchester). I've always had very good experience with Henry rifles and my 30-30 is no exception. It's sort of unique with the lack of a loading gate and that long magazine tube. Then take that cutout in the tube to fit the 30-30 shell. Resembles that of a common .22 magazine tube. I like the rifle and am well satisfied with what it is and what I shoot. Maybe sometime if I ever see or find whatever PPU ammo is, I'll try it and post the results.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot said:
I loaded up some .357 for a brother-in-law's Marlin rifle, and they showed pressures and extraction problems first crack out of the box.

Had use recommended loads, but ----------

Well, fired the rest of the ammo from my RUGER security six wheel gun with zero problems or issues. Not one!

Not surprising in the least...

This is why many manuals have different load data for the same cartridge in rifle and pistol...

Quick example is that my favorite Hornady #4 manual has a load for their 265gr FP in .44Mag that is a full 1.2gr more powder for pistol than for rifle...

Rifle = 22.2gr H-110
Pistol = 23.4gr H-110

The max pistol load in my Marlin 1894 is a nasty thump, and hard extracting...

Many older manuals with maximum mag pistol data can be overpressure in a longer carbine or rifle...

Always start low and work up...Each gun is a different animal and should be treated as such...

Yep salmoneye, it happens.

Been back a number of years since this happened, but as I recall, I was using info for the rifles. Sure didn't work in that rifle.

CDOC

I guess I just don't know what PPU ammo is or where it comes from.....sometime if I ever see or find whatever PPU ammo is, I'll try it and post the results.

If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to personally send you a few rounds ;)

Back