Help!!!

they have been planning the attack for some time... is it happening already?!? :eek: they are likely to band together with the llamas and attack in force !!

First of all I had a problem and asked for opinions not BS and my house is in the suburbs(Think big backyards and tons of woods) and thus not as well traveled or lit as a city block. Second of all, to ammend my origional story there have been a couple other break ins that are now believed to be connected to these and electronics were stolen at some of the new ones. Also after speaking with one of my neighbors, one of the cars broken into was actually unlocked and therefor only opened. My granfather is also easing my parents into the idea of a gun.(He is an avid hunter/outdoorsman and will know more statistics and info to help convince them than I could manage)

p.s. - What is a good name brand shotgun? I looked online and thought the Remington 870 Marine Magnum would be a good choice( I Don't want it all shiny though. I can't hunt/protect my home with a moving reflector.) however I know nothing about buying a gun.

Remington 870 Express is the do-all shotgun. With three barrels, you can do everything. 18.5in for home defense, a standard 26in or 28in field barrel for bird hunting, trap and skeet, and a rifled barrel for hunting deer. You get the 870 Express at sporting goods stores like Dicks for $260.00 Get the 12GA model! The Express model has a black special purpose finish and plain walnut stocks.

You cant go wrong with a remington 870 or a mossy 500 but if you can spend the extra cash a mossy M590 is a good choice. If money is tight go to wal-mart and get a maverick 88 (a mossberg 500 clone that is actually darn good, I know because I have one and it has yet to give me a problem).

Good luck,
rugerdude

Home Security - Hardening the target

Joe,

Rule #1 - Don't go looking for an intruder. You might just find him.
Rule #2 - You probably don't know how many or where. Stay put. Call cops.
Rule #3 - Lights & noise are a thief's worst enemy when he's trying to get in.

Don't overlook getting Dad to spring for a 20 gauge version of the shotgun. It should be short (18-20" barrel). Sometimes a used one turns up cheap.

Will they let you take up archery? :D

Harden the target

I can't list everything here, but here are some things you can do with just a few dollars.

Windows
For sash windows or horizontally sliding windows go to a hardware store and purchase some 3/8" or 1/2" aluminum "U" channel stock -- normally 4ft to 6ft long. Cut the stock to a length that allows windows to be open only 2" or less for ventilation. Place the channel stock in the window track of sliding windows to prevent them from opening. For sash windows you'll have to devise a way of retaining them in place but allow the window to open when they are removed. The "U" channel also works for sliding glass doors if they slide on the inside of the house (as they should).

For louvered glass windows, such as some bathroom windows, remove each pane/plate of glass and tack a short bead of silicone sealant in the track, then slide the pane back in place. Let dry, remove excess with a razor or utility knife.

Doors
For doors, replace every wood screw with a 1 1/2" or longer wood screw. This includes hinges, strike plates and the chain latch if you have one. Add one of the brass door knob reinforcement plates around the door knob to prevent the door from splitting if kicked. Add a deadbolt and use longer screws on its strike plate. Don't forget to reinforce doors from the garage & back yard too!

For the front door, you might consider making a strike-stop as pictured in the attachment. It's not to scale but gives you an idea if there is a wall near the door. Should cost under $20 to make yourself. The retaining pin has to be into a solid floor and will require drilling -- line the hole with a brass tube or steel tubing crimped at the bottom end. Attach pin to the stop with a cord. An empty soda can with 5 marbles hanging off the door knob provides a crude alarm.

Attachments

• DoorStop.JPG
    DoorStop.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 24
OK, let's make a little noise shall we!

Take a mouse trap. Nail it to a (tree, wall, table leg, etc). To one side of the trap run a hot wire from a car battery. Next, run a wire from the trap to a car horn.

Now, run monofiliment line around the area to be covered. The idea is for the gremlin's to bump the monofiliment, tripping the mousetrap, which in turn completes the circuit to the car horn...one wire from the car horn goes back to the battery.

Of course you can always purchase some reed switches, micoswitches from radio shack and wire in doors, windows, etc.

As for the car, take out the door switch, check the color code. Next, get a switch (latching relay is nice) and run a piece of wire from the color coded door switch to the on/off switch hidden in the car. The wire then goes to the car horn again. When the switch is turned on and the door is opened, the horn should sound!

Make enough noise and the gremlins usually leave you alone!

Back