help with rifle scope

axis223

I just purchased a marlin 45-70 (150-200yard deer gun) and want to scope it and driving myself nutz trying to figure out a scope. I have people saying Nikon 2-7, leupold 2-7 all the way to vx2, vortex 2-7, Nikon slug hunter/inline 3-9 (pretty short for a 3-9).

I've been doing a lot of reading and I see a lot of don't spend the vx2 money cause a Nikon prostaff is just as good and then there is the leupold or go home crowd. Id rather not spend the extra money if its not needed. mainly used in hardwoods and fields for whitetail hunting.

what do you guys run and why? looking for honest opinions and not just because leupold is well leupold.

Vortex has got my $$ for the last couple of purchases. I don't really see any issues with them for general hunting use.

I have a Weaver Super Slam Euro style 1.5 x 6 on my 444 Marlin. It has an illuminated german #4 reticle, (just the center dot lights)
These scopes were discontinued and closed out for very attractive prices. I don't know if you could find one, but if so, it's a great optic in my experience.

I have, and have had, a number of 45-70 rifles in different configurations. I would strongly recommend the Leupold VX-2 2-7x33mm with the LR reticle. Right now it can be had for around $275 from Optics Planet on sale. If you ask they'll always give you an extra 5% off. The reason I suggest this scope is that the LR reticle is a regular cross hair with two mil dots under the center cross hair. For a 45-70 these two dots work out great for distances up to where you're looking to get. FWIW, I even put a Burris FF3 on my Win 1886 lever gun and it shot lights out at my personal range of 114 yds. It's easy to pick up in all light conditions and I could shoot five shots into sub 1.75" groups with it. You can get one of them for around two hundred bucks and they, like Leupold, have a lifetime gurarantee.

Neither Nikon nor Vortex has the eye relief of the Leupold. The Vortex eye box is a bit more difficult to get behind. When you flush the toilet, that swirl in the bottom of a bowl is a Vortex. Who names their optics company after the swirl in the bottom of the toilet? Vortex is out of the competition at this point. The Nikon can be had for a bit less money than the Leupold if that counts. I find the Leupold a bit better optically, but all of our eyes are different. I compared the Leupold to a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33. They seemed to be very similar to me. Redfield scopes are made in Oregon. Leupold owns Redfield. The Redfield can be had for about Nikon prices and it has better eye-relief. My 45-70 wears a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33.

My money is still on Leupold. Vortex is a good scope for the money, but not a great scope, focus is not real sharp until you are into the $1000+ scopes. Same can be said about Nikon, they perform well but I have never owned one that was clear and focused from edge to edge. Are there other good scopes besides Leupold? Sure! But IMO, they are the best value all around. So, in response to our question, Leupold 2.5-8X or a straight 4X. 3-9X is a bit much for a 45-70 lever gun.

I don't think you can go wrong using the PROSTAFF 2-7x32 scope, especially for under $150. Check out TFL Sponsor's and you might save even more. Another option if you want max. eye relief, check out Nikon's SlugHunter 3-9 BDC scope. 5 inches of eye relief for $199. All backed by Nikon's No Fault Warranty. Definitely worth taking a look through some tubes to help me sure you get the sope that will work the best for your needs. Drop me a note if you have any question's on how to dial in the BDC reticle to your rifle and ammo.

At the same price point the glass on all scopes is about the same. It probably comes from the same factory and is assembled into various scopes. The difference is in other features such as ruggedness, reliability, view through the scope, reticle design, eye relief, adjustment repeatability, weight and length.

Nikon and Vortex have good glass for the money and I like their binoculars. Don't like their scopes because they come up short on many of the points listed above.

A $150 Nikon is a very usable scope, but at $200 you can do a LOT better. Well worth the extra $50.

My go-to recommendations in order of preference are:

Burris FF-II
Leupold VX-1
Redfield Revolution

All can be found for right at $200 and are much better than the low end Nikon or Vortex scopes. Personally I like to spend a little more and get into the $300-$400 range. But I'd not feel handicapped at all with any of the 3 listed above.

At the same price point the glass on all scopes is about the same. It probably comes from the same factory and is assembled into various scopes. The difference is in other features such as ruggedness, reliability, view through the scope, reticle design, eye relief, adjustment repeatability, weight and length.

Nikon and Vortex have good glass for the money and I like their binoculars. Don't like their scopes because they come up short on many of the points listed above.

A $150 Nikon is a very usable scope, but at $200 you can do a LOT better. Well worth the extra $50.

My go-to recommendations in order of preference are:

Burris FF-II
Leupold VX-1
Redfield Revolution

All can be found for right at $200 and are much better than the low end Nikon or Vortex scopes. Personally I like to spend a little more and get into the $300-$400 range. But I'd not feel handicapped at all with any of the 3 listed above.
Isnt the burris the type with the magnification built into the eye piece? im not sure how i would like that.

Nikon Slug Hunter is a shotgun scope. It'd do if the rings will fit on your Marlin. Five inches is a great deal of eye relief though. Distance between your eye and the rear ocular that allows you to see the whole circle.
In any case, you're on the right track looking at 2x to 7x or thereabouts for a .45-70. It's more of a 100 to150 yard cartridge. Most bullet weights drop like bricks past 150.
However, you need to decide on a budget that includes the rings and bases first. Then you can buy the one that's on sale. The brand doesn't make a lot of difference. No Simmons scopes though. Savage quit putting 'em on their Package rifles for a reason.
Just don't buy the biggest heaviest scope there is. A 40mm front ocular is probably too big too. Needs higher rings and that throws off the balance.
"...is a Vortex..." So is a tornado. snicker. Stuff is named by Marketing MBA's.

Nikon Slug Hunter is a shotgun scope. It'd do if the rings will fit on your Marlin. Five inches is a great deal of eye relief though. Distance between your eye and the rear ocular that allows you to see the whole circle.
In any case, you're on the right track looking at 2x to 7x or thereabouts for a .45-70. It's more of a 100 to150 yard cartridge. Most bullet weights drop like bricks past 150.
However, you need to decide on a budget that includes the rings and bases first. Then you can buy the one that's on sale. The brand doesn't make a lot of difference. No Simmons scopes though. Savage quit putting 'em on their Package rifles for a reason.
Just don't buy the biggest heaviest scope there is. A 40mm front ocular is probably too big too. Needs higher rings and that throws off the balance.
"...is a Vortex..." So is a tornado. snicker. Stuff is named by Marketing MBA's.
I have warne one piece base and weaver steel low rings coming today. after thinking about it id rather have a 2-7. now just have to figure out Nikon, vx1, vx2. :)

I have warne one piece base and weaver steel low rings coming today. after thinking about it id rather have a 2-7. now just have to figure out Nikon, vx1, vx2.
Because of the bullet drop with this cartridge, I still strongly recommend the VX-2 with the RL reticle. From experience I can assure you that this feature alone puts it in front of the rest for this type of ballistics. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish as the old saying goes. You'll never lose on good quality glass.

The Revolution is available with an Accurange reticle. I have 3 Revolutions with Accurange and love them. You can get them online for around $150. You owe it to yourself to take a look at one before you spend more money on a VX1 or 2.

redfieldaccurange.jpg

Shots in the range of no more than 200 yards are right at what I consider a "gimme" distance. Even a scope as simple as a fixed 4X would work just fine.

(I found from an accidental experience that 3X was plenty good for a 350-yard kill. :))

I've got a lot of Nikon scopes, several Leupolds and one Vortex. The Vortex Razor is by far the best of the lot. At $1500, it should be. My Leupolds are better that the M series Nikon scopes I have. A 3-9x Leupold would be my choice for what the OP is looking for.

Have a Marlin 1895 45/70 for 20-25 years it wears a Leupold 1 1/2 x5. Have never felt the need for anything else.

I just mounted a Leupold M8-4X compact on my old vintage M336, 30-30. I found it on ebay for 140 bucks with free shipping. It's a peach, and at the range I'll use it for, it would be much as your 45/70. Those M8s are pretty much bullet proof, and quite available as a used one for under 200 bucks if you do some shopping research. It will also have the Leupold guarantee if something goes haywire (also bulletproof). I've used Leupold scopes for many years, and have yet for one to go haywire. Fixed power on a 45/70 hunting rifle would be hard to beat. For me, 4X is the trick. The bonus? That compact looks really cool on the ol' Marlin.

If it were mine, I'd go with a low power scope...1x4 or similar. It's all you'll need, the lowest setting will get you on target quicker with it's wide field of view. The 4X is good for the farthest ranges that the OP mentioned. The low power setting has great eye relief as well.

If it were mine, I'd go with a low power scope...1x4 or similar. It's all you'll need, the lowest setting will get you on target quicker with it's wide field of view. The 4X is good for the farthest ranges that the OP mentioned. The low power setting has great eye relief as well.

Agree. I'd do a low power also. My big gun is a 30-06 and have a very ole 2 3/4x Redfield on it. Had that scope on a mod 660 in 308 for a lot of years, killed a lot of deer with it out to two hundred yds and a bit beyond.

Nikon Prostaff is not on par with VXII, maybe VXI, maybe. I don't like low power scopes, seeing the barrel flopping around in my field of view aggravates the mess out of me.

Back