Help with picking a new pump

This kind of reminds me of people who carry a gun for defense but criticize people who carry back up guns. You are protecting against the possibility of an incredibly unlikely event, but if someone is a little more prepared than you, you criticize them. Having a light and extra ammo is just more prepared. Is it unnecessary? Maybe. But maybe the whole exercise is unnecessary. Where is the line? Can I have a second shotgun ready to go next to the first one? Body armor? There is no right answer. It is all just what one wants to be prepared for. Saying that you won't need something is just naive.

I do know that crime trends indicate that "Most burglaries are committed by one or two part-time thieves" is not something you want to count on anymore. Is it possible? Sure. It's all probabilities. If I can throw some extra shells, why the hell wouldn't I? Why have a gun at all if we are just going by the "most likely" case? It's very unlikely any of us will ever need to use a gun in defense. THAT is the most likely case.

As for the light, I think you are just a tactical disaster here. I would recommend you take a class or read a book. I really don't mean any offense, but this is like the guy who doesn't load his gun because he thinks the sound will scare away the bad guy. There are so many scenarios I could list in which using a WML would be superior to trying to make your way to a light switch and giving everyone present the advantage of the light. Assuming it does work. Sure your lights have consistently worked for years. And you have consistently not been attacked. Maybe there is a connection between power and public services working, and home invasions remaining low? Look up what happened during Hurricane Katrina, although I suspect you already know and you are just choosing to ignore it because that isn't the scenario you have prepared for. This is just representative of very close-minded thinking. Again, if I have a light, what am I hurting? It just covers more possible needs.

Haz251, I really really like the Magpul gear. The stock is the most comfortable I have used, and is customizable for length and they sell cheek riser kits. I recommend getting the sling mount at the same time as it installs in place of one of the pieces they include with the stock. It is a huge improvement over the normal stock, and I much prefer it to the telescoping AR-style stocks (I don't really want a pistol grip on my shotgun). I highly recommend them.

As for your sights question, there are many sights that epoxy on top of the bead sight. The rear sight usually needs to be installed by a gunsmith, which is a permanent-type thing. I'd prefer a rail in the rear so I can swap out the site if I want, or put on an optic.

Since you mentioned wanting a rail and side saddle, I would look into Mesa Tactical's offerings. They have rails which are short for an optic, or full-length for standard AR-style BUISs. Then they can also include a side saddle. If you got the one pictured below, you would have your rail and side saddle covered in one stop, and could put on any sites you wanted.

Mesa-Tactical-870-Rail-500x252.jpg

Thx for the input guys. Think imma go with a 870 police model. Just gotta find one now. And thx for the input on the Magpul stock scotch. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for: adjustable comfy with a single point sling. And I'm def gonna throw a rail on top the receiver. Maybe put an aimpoint up there one day.

Since you said you didn't like Mossberg as much as the 870; I'd recommend trying to find a nice used 870 Police.

You should able to find one for $300-350. That would leave you with plenty of money for accessories.

Another question. If I get a plain Jane model with just a bead how do I put in new sights. I'd like ghost rings but I may settle for rifle sights. Thx for all the input guys.

For HD purposes, you might try running your gun as it came - you should be looking at your target, not your sights

I really don't mean any offense, but this is like the guy who doesn't load his gun because he thinks the sound will scare away the bad guy. There are so many scenarios I could list in which using a WML would be superior to trying to make your way to a light switch and giving everyone present the advantage of the light. Assuming it does work. Sure your lights have consistently worked for years.

Since it seem apparent you are directing your snide comments towards me, (and that's fine, I have big shoulders), I'll say this - in MY house, there is enough ambient light coming in through the windows, I have no kids at home, I do not need a light to clearly see from one end to the other. I also do not like all the gizmos adding even more weight to an already heavy weapon. If YOU feel threatened by imaginary zombies coming into your house by the hundreds, by all means prepare for them - but you would be better served by an AR in that case. Where I live, we do not have those worries. I am able to safely leave all the windows in my house open all day and night - even when I leave to go to the store - without any worries.
Taking an 8# gun and adding another 2+ pounds of ammo and gadgets makes it extremely awkward to handle and move to target quickly, it ruins whatever semblance of balance the gun might have originally had, it also adds that many more snag points to catch on door knobs, furniture, etc.

You are free to do and say what you want, but do not disparage those who disagree. If you truly think you need more than the magazine capacity, you really need to rethink your choice of weapons and protection systems

Last edited:
That's my plan. I doubt any of my local gun shops will have one but there's a "police gun shop" a ways up the road that imma give a call to. And I'm getting the sights for hunting and just to try and out shoot my buddies at the range. This isn't going to be a HD firearm.

Last edited:
Isn't a primary purpose of a WML to furnish illumination in scenarios where an officer may enter a unknown environment where there may be no electrical lighting, power may not be on, the lighting may not functional, or the officer does not want to have to search for a light switch?

It makes sense that it could be both. A WML could also be for outdoor applications. Turning a light on would require an individual to both remove a hand from the firearm and focus his/her attention else where. If I were an officer of the law in a situation that I know may be life threatening I'd want both hands on my weapon at all times and wouldn't want to worry bout having to find a light switch.

Benelli M4 tactical shotgun 12ga...

I saw a cool used LE/spec ops type Benelli 12ga shotgun on www.gunsamerica.com . It's not cheap for a used room broom but the add-ons & quality seem worth it.
Take a look & post your response.

Me? I'd look at a new(NIB) Remington 887 Tactical too. They have a few on the site. It's a decent price(keep in mind the gun mania of 2013 drive up prices 25-50% :().

A few 887 shotgun owners have high praise for it & the rare tactical version looks rough & tough.
I'm left handed so Im leaning towards a BPS or a 870 Express left-hand with after market doo-dads. ;)

ClydeFrog

Honestly if my job had already started there's a chance I'd be bidding on that Clyde just for the fact its an M-4. Unfortunately I have another 2 weeks till I start :( I'm kinda likeing that 887 too. I've held 1 but it was years ago. It just looks MEAN and I like that about it. How's the aftermarket for the BPS cause I've heard great things about it but I don't know if I could tune it to my liking. Since you're a lefty you may wanna try looking for an Ithica 37. Like the BPS it's a bottom feeder and I imagine a bit cheaper.

Last edited:
Ok, took a couple snapshots here of the Ithicas.

The new Ithica shoots great. Fit and finish is excellent, and on a par with older generations. The parkerized finish is a practical choice. For left handed shooters (like my Son and oldest daughter) bottom eject is nice. The gun has sling swivels (though it lacks a sling mount behind the trigger which some folks seem to like for a single point sling) I have not installed the tac light/bracket combo yet.
Price: $600

IthicaLeftSide_zpsb0343abd.jpg

Ithicarightside_zpsadfa08fd.jpg

It is drilled and tapped for a picatiny rail so anything from ghost rings to red dots can be mounted on the gun. Not a big deal to me, as I am happy with the good ol bead sight.

drilledandtapped_zpsd880f63a.jpg

Pro's:
Action is slicker than any 870 or Mossberg I've shot
VERY reliable (as are the 870's and Mossbergs)
VERY LIGHT
Easy to load magazine
Excellent setup for left handed shooters. (the safety is reversible for lefties.)

Cons:
Fixed Barrel (seems to be a solution in search of a problem that never existed) and makes cleaning a bit of a pain
Single slide bar (I've NEVER had problems with it, but some might be leery of it)
Bottom eject makes the so called "tactical reload" different than what many are used to doing.
Lack of aftermarket crap to hang on the gun (if that's your thing)

Here is how the new Riot gun looks next to my 1975 vintage 18" Ithica

Newandoldithica_zpsc5b670fd.jpg

1975ithica_zps3c97b6d8.jpg

Don't overlook police surplus stuff (870/mossberg or Ithica). Again, the older Ithica (which has the slamfire feature that the newer Ithica does not) only cost $200 bucks. Excellent value out there on the used guns.

Like that older Ithaca. Had one way back in the early 80's, one of the few I sold I regret - (also a LH) - the 28"M barrel did a number on ND pheasant

That 75 Ithica looks gorgeous!!! If I find one that cheap ill def pick it up. And I'm probably going to go used. While I currently don't own an 870/500 I do have a fair bit of experience with them in the field and my experience tells me that the sloppier/more bet up they are the better they seems to shoot and they last damn near forever. Thx for those pics both guns are fantastic looking.

I see there are some very confident newbies on here, so I'll only add that even if your lights are working fine, I'm not sure (taking your hand off your shotgun and fumbling to flick on a light switch or lamp is the best thing to do in a home defense scenario, that is unless you want to illuminate yourself to make a good target for the bad guy...but then as has already been said, "whatever floats your boat", and yes the "real life" world of non-t.v. land is an unpredictable thing.

For me, my shotgun will remain bare bones (nothing on it but an elastic shell holder on the stock), nor do I feel a need to belittle those who have a different opinion, but I can certainly see the potential value of a weapons light, and a side saddle of extra shells.

Last edited:
Always identify your target! Lights are a must. If you don't need it don't turn it on. I live in the boonies where it's dark( that's blackout dark) and the power go's out some times for week do to storm damage. A good LED light weighs almost nothing. Be responsible, identify your target always.

Those "unlikely" scenarios actually happen quite often. Look at every major disaster in the last 30 years. Riots, looting, power outages, food shortages. You name it. This happens several times a year in our country alone. Just because it hasn't happened to you and the media calls people crazy that bring up the times it did happen doesn't mean it will not happen tomorrow. There is a slight difference between paranoid and prepared. That said, if you drop 3 or 4 people with a 12ga and who ever is left keeps attaching you they are either desperate or crazy. My uncle went though the watts riots. When the rioters and looters came to his block and saw a shotgun on every porch they moved on and burned the next unarmed block. That's why shortened pump shotguns are called "RIOT GUNS". Just the sight of one of these guns can cause a sudden outbreak of peace in their vicinity.

Boomer

Last edited:
Thanks for the backup guys. I love how every time someone starts making sense, they are accused of prepping for zombies.

A light weighs 3oz and gives you a million more options. Why wouldn't you want that?

If you are leaving your windows open all day and night, I am not surprised you aren't particularly concerned with being prepared. No judging, just saying if I walked to work every day I wouldn't get in an argument with someone about gas prices.

1st choice would be an 870. Its reliable and shoots where Im looking, which is way more important than all the tacticool BS that gets hung on a shotgun.
2nd would be a 1300 or Nova.

The 1300 is very underrated, it practically cycles itself and points almost as well for me as the 870. If you can find a 1300 Practical or Camp Defender, but it. IMO it was one of the best practical pump shotguns ever made. Ready to go as is.

The NOVA is fugly but very reliable. The comb is wider than I like but its so easy to load fast I can overlook the fact that it points like a shovel.

The NOVA is fugly but very reliable. The comb is wider than I like but its so easy to load fast I can overlook the fact that it points like a shovel.

ABSOLUTELY! My Supernova hunting gun is fugly, swings like a shovel duct taped to a 2x4 but it's damn reliable.

For home defense, though...I'll stick with my Ithaca. That's the beauty of gun ownership...my Benelli doesn't get jealous when I bring another Ithaca home.

Back